new scientific discoveries

Wrath of Dagon

Even if fusion came online it would hardly send oil companies out of business. They'd just adapt using the huge financial resources at their disposal.

The real danger to anyone inventing cheap fusion would be countries like Russia who

a) depend on oil for their foreign currency balances

b) regularly assassinate people

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

*immediately imagines a surprised looking Norwegian in a small log cabin*

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

And who has been following anything about Masdar City? A solid attempt at a "proto-arcology" style city..

Abu Dhabi Future Energy Company working with the British architectural firm Fosters and Sons have been working on this for a few years now.. Even though the finished date has been pushed back by a decade..they're still cheerfully developing and building it.

The city will rely entirely on solar energy and other renewable energy sources, with a sustainable, zero-carbon, zero-waste ecology. The city is being constructed 17 kilometres (11 mi) east-south-east of the city of Abu Dhabi, beside Abu Dhabi International Airport.

BBC Fast:Track - Masdar City

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyghLnbp20U&feature=related

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Smashing idea. Let's build a massive fragile future utopia smack dab in between two of the most volatile and violent countries around.

-Elwood Blues

Smashing idea. Let's build a massive fragile future utopia smack dab in between two of the most volatile and violent countries around.

Um, it's THEIR money. Where the smeg else are they going to build it? In Australia for all the Australians to enjoy? :headbang:

"Naaah, we can't try to make this a great place to be, because this is a bad place to be!"

And who has been following anything about Masdar City? A solid attempt at a "proto-arcology" style city..

Abu Dhabi Future Energy Company working with the British architectural firm Fosters and Sons have been working on this for a few years now.. Even though the finished date has been pushed back by a decade..they're still cheerfully developing and building it.

The city will rely entirely on solar energy and other renewable energy sources, with a sustainable, zero-carbon, zero-waste ecology. The city is being constructed 17 kilometres (11 mi) east-south-east of the city of Abu Dhabi, beside Abu Dhabi International Airport.

BBC Fast:Track - Masdar City

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyghLnbp20U&feature=related

Maybe the Arabs should first get some basics like human rights done right before conjuring up some Utopian bull****.

Um, it's THEIR money. Where the smeg else are they going to build it? In Australia for all the Australians to enjoy? :headbang:

"Naaah, we can't try to make this a great place to be, because this is a bad place to be!"

Well, frankly, yes. Might just as well build a massive butter palace on the slopes of Montserrat.

-Elwood Blues

Well, frankly, yes. Might just as well build a massive butter palace on the slopes of Montserrat.

Maybe Britain should just let itself devolve into ghettos, in case you get too prosperous and Portugal invades.

Maybe Britain should just let itself devolve into ghettos, in case you get too prosperous and Portugal invades.

Unlikely to happen. The treaty of Windsor is still in effect (has been since 1386).

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

And the proposal of building a curent generation of the USS Enterprise.. with tech specs based on actual technology available to build it.. over the next 20 years..

http://phys.org/news/2012-05-real-starship-enterprise-years.html

In Star Trek lore, the first Starship Enterprise will be built by the year 2245. But today, an engineer has proposed

You make me a little sad Raithe .. to know that this could be within our reach, yet we are too shortsighted and preoccupied with national and international bickering to do it.

Fortune favors the bald.

• 2 weeks later...

Robot Fish to patrol harbours and shallow water for polluters...

Something Fishy this way comes...

"One they've sniffed out a problem, the fish use artificial intelligence to hunt down the source of pollution.

They can work alone or in a team, communicating with each other using acoustic signals and they can continuously report back to the port."

60391460fishnewangle.jpg

I wonder when the first armoured and torpedo equipped robot whale is being launched to fight whaling?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

My first thought was: Oh gawd, put it under water and it's Bioshock in real life!

Falling stout bubbles explained

One of the great mysteries of the universe explained... why bubbles in stout are sinking rather than floating to the top.

"Irish mathematicians may have solved the mystery of why bubbles in stout beers such as Guinness sink"

Mr Cummins carried out calculations using a simulated pint and "anti-pint" - that is' date=' the upside-down version of a pint glass - showing the effect at work; in the anti-pint, the bubbles rise as expected.

For those interested in experimenting in the pub, the effect can be best seen if a pint of stout is served in a straight-sided, cylindrical glass (not quite filled up).[/quote']

Time for some serious research... :biggrin:

I once saw a lecture on the physics of beer in Dublin City University. I can't remember a thing about it.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I once saw a lecture on the physics of beer in Dublin City University. I can't remember a thing about it.

Spent too much time on the practical ? :)

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Physics nerds like to party too.

• Like 1

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

• 2 weeks later...

Something old and new..

The Chauvet prehistoric cave paintings in France have always glimmered with a mystery: why do the depictions of ancient animals seem to show beasts with several heads and multiple limbs? Are the multi-headed creature figures from mythology, folk art, or some kind of lost world?

An article in the June issue of Antiquity by archaeologist Marc Azema of the University of Toulouse and artist, Florent Rivere, suggest that the paintings, which are 30,000 years old, may amount to the first cartoons. They say the multiple images were a way of animating the images with flickering firelight. Prehistoric man foreshadowed one of the fundamental characteristics of visual perception, they write - Retinal persistence.

Marc Azema looked at 53 images in a dozen caves. Now, if you see them in a strong, steady light, the way most scientists have viewed them for decades, they looked like poly-headed horses, bison or lions. But if you see them by the light of a flickering torch, the images may look animated, showing the beasts running, rearing their heads, or swishing their tails. But there are no images of talking clown fish, singing Princesses or Archie and Jughead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8exsw6yKXw&