Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim announced

funcroc

I can't really comment much on the trailer, except that Oblivion looked incredibly well during the 2005 E3 demo as well.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I wonder if Frank Frazetta had anything to do with the artwork prior to his death. That picture looks mighty similar.

I doubt it, but I've yet to meet a single concept artist that wasn't infuenced by that guy in some way... Seriously, the man's a legand. Shame he's dead really, but just look at Justin Sweets work and you can see Frank in it, you can see it in any concept art to be honest.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Eh looks nice. Now let's see how they screw up optimization in the next months! :shifty:

:lol:

I'm pretty psyched up over the trailer, it looks nice and judging by the frame rate it appears well optimised, for the 360 at least, fingers crossed they don't pull a GTAIV and release a shambolic PC version.

I recommend watching the downloadable version for smoother playback, the flash video is badly encoded.

http://cdn.zenimax.com/akqacms/files/tes/t...ler_UK_HD_0.mp4

*edit*

Nick Brickon said on twitter:

"Glad people got to finally see some Skyrim animation in this trailer. All that dragon stuff actually happens dynamically in-game."

"To answer many questions at once: the Skyrim trailer was captured entirely on Xbox 360. Also, none of the draw-distance was faked."

Pete Hines said on twitter:

"@OutlanderDF Yes, in-game. Only things not in-game are the shots of the wall from the previous trailer. Dragon fights are pretty epic"

Edited by WDeranged

Gamer Logic 101:

If the trailer looks good then the game must be good.

+1 preorder

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Maybe just wait until after the game is released to decide one way or the other?

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I'm amused at how quickly the prevailing opinion on the interwebz went from 'the texture, the shadows and every other parts of the graphics sux' (first batch of HD screens released) to 'BS this can't be 360 footage' (ingame trailer released).

Anyway I do find the walking animation to be a bit stiff, running is much improved though.

It does look much better than the screenies, though. I'm impressed by how the character models look so much better now, there's some decent lighting going around, etc.

The town art direction is still generic and not particularly 'Nordy', though, and there are certainly bits of that trailer that can't be ingame (e.g. some of the more dramatic dragon stuff, IMO), but it's a good first impression they're making.

Do game trailers for major game releases ever not look good?

They spend a lot of money to make sure trailers look good, otherwise no point in releasing said trailer, right?

So it's really not an honest look at the game to begin with.

im actually really impressed that those were 360 graphics

the animation looks WAY better than oblivion, but still not the greatest of all time (though the dragons look to be well animated)

generic warriors helmet looked kinda dumb with the faceplate part but whatever thats not a problem

i thought the towns looked pretty nord-like, EXCEPT for the cathedral bit rising in the background, it looked an awful lot like the ones in oblivion, which were dumb cause it was the same building in every town.

overall though, the game looks incredible and I'm very excited. The windmill in particular looked fantastic, and had some real character to it, i hope there isnt one in every town, copy-paste design, while understandable in a game this size, is so disheartening for the player.

now just tell us that there is some handplaced loot in every area like fallout 3 and new vegas! handplaced loot is very important to making exploration feel fun and worthwhile. I'd also like some more detailed info about the new leveling system.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I'll wait until the Gamespy, Gamespot and IGN reviews before deciding.

My sarcasm sense is tingling.

Maybe just wait until after the game is released to decide one way or the other?

Now why would we do that? Game journalists are bribed, people are fanboys/haters and both contain as much bullcrap as the trailers, right?

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

I'll wait for the 'in-depth' comparisons of changes from Oblivion ~> Skyrim. Even heavily modded Oblivion couldn't hold my interest for long.

I just had to come back to the trailer and say, I like the vast majority of it, but dear God, that mutilation of the Morrowind theme is like a weapon of mass destruction on the souls of TES fans everywhere.

Seriously, WTF? Why don't they just buy up half the LOTR songs, put them on double speed and add in orchestral hits and trumpets on every note? Go and write a new song.

Don't know if its been posted yet since I don't feel like reading 30+ pages but:

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I'll wait for the 'in-depth' comparisons of changes from Oblivion ~> Skyrim. Even heavily modded Oblivion couldn't hold my interest for long.

oblivion without the horrible level scaling would at least be worth a playthrough once i would think?

it would for me anyway... I know I'm going to end up getting Skyrim on day 1, just like I know I'm going to get Fallout 4 on day 1 whenever that comes out.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.