Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim announced

funcroc

http://www.gamereactor.eu/news/6386/Six+ne...s+Skyrim+shots/

Six old screenshots in 720p. The resolution implies it's taken from a console build, and I think they all looks real good (for current gen consoles).

Don't know how a lot of ppl on Beth forum can call these screens 'Oblivion with shadows'. Their memory must be clouded by zillions of graphics mod they have on their computers.

I have to say that game is starting to sound really good.

Perhaps it won't be "oblivion 2".

I really hope some of his insanity makes it into the final game, this is the guy who wrote Vivec.

Doesn't he work at bethesda? Why wouldn't his stuff be there?

Edited by Syraxis

I have to say that game is starting to sound really good.

Perhaps it won't be "oblivion 2".

I really hope some of his insanity makes it into the final game, this is the guy who wrote Vivec.

Doesn't he work at bethesda? Why wouldn't his stuff be there?

I think MK left Bethesda before they started developing Oblivion. He still work with Beth as a contract writer from time to time though, and I do hope to see more of his stuff in Skyrim.

http://www.gamereactor.eu/news/6386/Six+ne...s+Skyrim+shots/

Six old screenshots in 720p. The resolution implies it's taken from a console build, and I think they all looks real good (for current gen consoles).

Don't know how a lot of ppl on Beth forum can call these screens 'Oblivion with shadows'. Their memory must be clouded by zillions of graphics mod they have on their computers.

The lighting engine is kinda similar from what my non-expert eyes can see, but yeah, it looks a lot better, thanks to the art. Honestly, even with zillions of graphic mods, Oblivion didn't really look as good as this anyway.

I think they are comparable to Oblivion, actually.

The angry Yeti shot, for instance - no AA, terribly low textures on the PC arm (which has a random chunk missing), the Yeti also is fairly low poly, background shows unshadowed rocks and stones popping out of the smooth ground, etc.

The valley shot looks nice but Oblivion had plenty of these too, it's just that when you actually played the game you'd get a sea of green goo because of draw distance / low texture swaps / etc - and even here you can see super-low grass textures.

Character models definitely look much better but as we discussed before, Bethesda have a history of deception here and we don't know for sure yet.

I don't mind too much because Oblivion-level graphics with a more unique art design would be great to play in, but certainly doesn't seem too much better technically atm.

the tavern looks a lot better imo than any interiors in oblivion, but i definitely agree that these screenshots could be trickery and the game will in fact look on par with oblivion.

however, that barbarian dude facing the far away flying dragon... he looks more like a human than any model i have seen in a bethesda game before, look at his arm there, that looks like a real arm, not a smooth cylinder with some armor on it.

i do agree very much that the screenshot of the fight with the yeti looks not too hot, and something is way off with the arm in first person perspective.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I'm not sure about the 'yeti' shot (it's a troll btw). Doing a side by side comparison with an Oblivion troll, I find the Skyrim version looks decidedly superior

http://www.gamereactor.eu/media/59/elderscrolls5_235971b.jpg

vs

http://chorrol.com/files/50/obliv20B.jpg

To me Oblivion graphics always has this very cartoony look, possibly due to its bloom overdose. Skyrim is a step up in realism.

Edited by Masterfade

To me those screenies look somewhat suspect. I wonder if they had a few silicone implants to make them a tad more impressive.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

It actually looked surprisingly rough.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

The forest scene with the waterfall looks the worst to me, no shadows or reflections and there's horrible low res textures all over the place, the rest look nice though, barring a few pixellated shaders and a couple of low poly objects.

I do get a heavy Gamebryo vibe though, my biggest worry is that the game is going to be crash happy :shifty:

dig those new screens.

1. I like the dragon design from what I can tell.

2. that giant looks like a giant from warhammer.

3. that autumn forest looks WAY better than any oblivion forests did.

4. fingers crossed for handplaced loot, quests with choice and consequence, no (or very limited) level scaling treasure/monsters, and a better levelup system

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Yeah the autumn forest looks stunning. In fact I like all three new environment shots. I grew up in a town with cloudy, snowy winter and I can't help but wonder if people calling for more 'pronounced' shadows and lighting lives on a tropical resort island.

Edited by Masterfade