Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim announced

funcroc

Also looks cold.

I remember when Ultima VII: Part 2 actually required that you wear warm clothes before you went into the frozen parts of the land. That was neat.

It makes sense for Nords. Nords were immune to frost in Morrowind, and in Oblivion had 50% frost resistance IIRC.

The scaly and furry races shouldn't have much trouble either.

Edited by virumor

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

I've been reading up on TES lore regarding thu'um. It seems Vivec had a inventive way of countering the almighty dragon shout.

Then came the war with the northern men, where Vivec did guide the Hortator into swift and tricky union with the Dwemer. The greatest demon chieftains of the frigid west were those listed below, five in unholy number.

HOAGA, the Mouth of Mud, who appeared as a great bearded king, had the powers of Marshalling and breathing the earth. On the battlefields, this demon would often be seen on the sidelines, eating the soil voraciously. When his men fell, Hoaga would fill their bodies back with it, whereupon they would rise again and fight, albeit slower. He had a Secret Name, Fenja, and destroyed seventeen Chimeri villages and two Dwemeri strongholds before being turned away.

CHEMUA, the Running Hunger, who appeared as a mounted soldier with full helm, had the powers of Heart Roaring and of sky sickening. He ate the Chimeri hero, Dres Khizumet-e, sending the spirit back to the Hortator as an assassin. Sometimes called First Blighter, Chemua could give clouds stomach aches and turn the rain of Veloth into bile. He destroyed six Chimeri villages before he was slain by Vivec and the Hortator.

BHAG, the Two-Tongued, who appeared as a great bearded king, had the powers of Surety and Form Change. His raiders were small in number, but ran amok in the west hinterlands, killing many Velothi trappers and scouts. He fell in a great debate with Vivec, for the warrior-poet alone could understand the northern man's two-layered speech, though ALMSIVI had to remain invisible during the argument.

BARFOK, Maid of Planes, who appeared as a winged human with lick-encrusted spear, had the powers of Event Denouement. Battles fought against her would always end in victory for Barfok, because she could shape outcomes by singing. Four Chimeri villages and two more Dwemeri strongholds were destroyed by her decision enforcement. Vivec had to stuff her mouth with his milk finger to keep her from singing Veloth into ruin.

YSMIR, the Dragon of the North, who always appears as a great bearded king, had powers innumerable and echoing. He was grim and dark and the most silent of the invading chieftains, though when he spoke villages were uplifted and thrown into the sea. The Hortator fought him unarmed, grabbing the Dragon's roars by hand until Ysmir's power throat bled. These roars were given to Vivec to bind into an ebony listening frame, which the warrior-poet placed on Ysmir's face and ears to drive him mad and drive him away.

'The coming forth and the driving away brings all things around. What I shall say next is unpleasant to record: HERMA-MORA-ALTADOON! AE ALTADOON!'

Please Todd, implement this in the game.

Edited by virumor

In fairness to Bethesda I thought I'd pass on 'news' that my housemate was playing FO3 for the first time, and first time CRPG, and he was &&&&ing loving it. Especially the whole business with creating the character.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

two things:

1) that screenshot with the viking dude is pretty badass, and the character model looks 10x better than any in oblivion

2) milk finger made my day, laughed so hard. milk finger.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

1) that screenshot with the viking dude is pretty badass, and the character model looks 10x better than any in oblivion

Yeah, well.. I don't remember seeing NPC's of this quality in Oblivion:

the-elder-scrolls-iv-oblivion-20041021063818924_640w.jpg

I wouldn't take too seriously any pic at this point.

Not Found: Resource Not Found

Not your fault. It does this off their front page link to the article, too.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

article is back up:

i really like that they are upping the damage on bows, i hate hate hate that they are making arrows hard to find... seriously... arrows are rare and expensive? what kind of retard world are they creating where a little stick of straight wood with a point on the end is so hard to find that its a valuable commodity to be used sparingly...

i LOVE that they are making daggers part of the stealth tree and that they can one-shot enemies when used as a sneak attack. They are doing a good job making the weapons you use seem very different from one another to encourage multiple play-throughs with different character types.

and yeah the plasmids in bioshock are more "fun" to cast at enemies than most of the spells in oblivion, so i guess they are looking at ok inspiration. i can't really say much because I never played as a full on mage in any TES game.

I'm VERY worried that the kill animations will occur too frequently, and that the game will be annoying as hell to play because every time you get hit the whole screen will shake and jostle and your weapons will waggle around for awhile before you get to counter attack turning melee combat into a boring and muddled mess.

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

The combat sounds more like Dark Messiah. Maybe Arkane's influence?

As for magic, as long as I can still create my own spells I do not worry much. Custom made destruction & illusion spells made the level scaling a non-issue in Oblivion.

Lots of little changes there that look very encouraging if done right. None of it is new, but a lot of it is new to TES and it will benefit from implementing such things (differentiating magical elements, etc). Agree with entrerix that it's a good call on increasing bow damage, I don't have a problem with making arrows "rare and expensive" though. Seriously. Does anybody think it will actually be really rare and really expensive? Look at ammo in FO3/NV.

Big test will be whether they get the animations / jostle / stagger etc stuff right without overdoing it. Pretty good noises so far though.

i really like that they are upping the damage on bows, i hate hate hate that they are making arrows hard to find... seriously... arrows are rare and expensive? what kind of retard world are they creating where a little stick of straight wood with a point on the end is so hard to find that its a valuable commodity to be used sparingly...

That

its probably going to be as Tig is suggesting "rare and expensive" will mean about as rare as stimpacks and water were in fallout 3 >_<

Speed penalty for back-pedalling. >_<

"Bethesda also smartly changed the pace at which characters backpedal, which removes the strike-and-flee tactic frequently employed in Oblivion. In Skyrim you can't bob and weave like a medieval Muhammad Ali as you could in Oblivion. Players can still dodge attacks from slower enemies like frost trolls, but don’t expect to backpedal out of harms way against charging enemies. If you want to flee, you must turn your back to the enemy and hit the sprint button, leaving you exposed to an attack as you high tail it to safety."

I like this bit too.

"One of the more alluring changes to the spellcasting in Skyrim is how you can employ spells in different ways. For instance, you could blast enemies with a flame ball from afar, hold the button down to wield the spell like a flame thrower, place a rune on the ground to create an environmental trap that spontaneously combusts when an enemy steps on it, or equip the spell with both hands to deliver high damage fireball attacks that drain your magicka reserves quickly. The shock and frost spells give players an equal amount of flexibility."

Edited by WDeranged

That is EXACTLY what I was wanting them to do with spells. Take the variability they had for melee combat and apply it to magic. Absolutely hated one-note spells.

Excellent. I mean exactly.

Edited by Tale

If they fix level scaling, I'll wear fanboy with pride. Until then, I skeptical.

Speed penalty for back-pedalling. :shifty:

"Bethesda also smartly changed the pace at which characters backpedal, which removes the strike-and-flee tactic frequently employed in Oblivion. In Skyrim you can't bob and weave like a medieval Muhammad Ali as you could in Oblivion. Players can still dodge attacks from slower enemies like frost trolls, but don

Edited by Slowtrain
Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.