FO: NV (General Discussion)

Pidesco

It's not broken design that you can carry around a variety of clothes that give you +2 or +5 to certain skills. Frankly, I can make the vast majority of dialogue checks without bothering with changing clothes. ...And, yes, it's extreme to game the system by stocking up on clothes because you want to have the bonus for some specific check. There's a wide variety of ways to overcome most obstacles in the game. You don't need such a variety of clothes in the first place. Now, some folks might want to carry around five or six pounds (or more) of extra clothing just because they can eek out that extra ten points, at most, for specific skill checks that are undoubtedly not necessary in the grand scheme of things. Hey, enjoy the game however you want.

Now, as opposed to clothes, magazines are a one shot item. It's not gaming the system to use an item in a way that is intuitive and natural. It's not intuitive that you carry around several changes of clothes in a game where the PC would naturally garb himself with the outfit that best compliments his particular build. On the other hand, it makes sense to carry the magazines with you. Here, how about this solution? It would be completely idiotic but would undoubtedly satisfy some of the 1337 gamers here: give magazines weight. .5 or 1 lb per magazine. Wouldn't hurt players who find and use them as they progress the plot line. Might make players who go out of their way to scrounge every magazine they can find during the game think twice about how many they keep on hand.

Most players can certainly make skill checks they want in their chosen build without either magazines or extra clothes. If I build a science sharp shooter, I can make the checks for those skills easily. By marshaling magazines and the odd scrap of cloth or two I can make a wider variety of skill checks that are largely unnecessary in the first place since a science guy sharp shooter can do everything that needs to be done in the game. An idiot pugilist can finish the game. A player can reach level 30 without going outside of the character build at all. All this gnashing of teeth doesn't make sense to me in the least.

I've spent over 300 hours between Fallout 3 and New Vegas. This petty nonsense about the abundance of skills in New Vegas is really a side show. It wasn't even a big deal in Fallout 3. Folks are worried about leveling and skill points? I think the balance would be better, although still imperfect, if they gave quest only experience. No bonus other than outcome by using any skill. No extra experience and no kill experience. That way the devs would have a better idea of how the PC will level. It still wouldn't change the fact that the game is huge and the devs have to make the game winnable for both folks who just take the crit path as well as those folks who hunt out every side quest.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

It's not broken design that you can carry around a variety of clothes that give you +2 or +5 to certain skills. ...And, yes, it's extreme to game the system by stocking up on clothes because you want to have the bonus for some specific check.

I completely agree. It's called designers giving the player choices to do as they will. If the will isn't strong enough to NOT use those things, that's not the game's problem.

Now, if my personal desire for combat challenge was 'fixed' just by not using a sniper rifle, I'd be fine with that, and conclude that the game wasn't 'easy' so much as only that one weapon is overpowered, so I should stop using it. But with a lot of testing & trials, for me at least, it's NOT just because of one weapon. It's the whole general concept of how dmg/weapons/DT blah blah works. But again, not trying to say there should be any mandatory change. Would just like another difficulty option.

I think the balance would be better, although still imperfect, if they gave quest only experience. No bonus other than outcome by using any skill. No extra experience and no kill experience. That way the devs would have a better idea of how the PC will level. It still wouldn't change the fact that the game is huge and the devs have to make the game winnable for both folks who just take the crit path as well as those folks who hunt out every side quest.

I personally would have no problem with this. Actually, I'd have no problem with a game that had no character-level at all, IF it was a well designed system. You could gain skill/stat increases in other ways besides "ding I'm lvl 18, time to spend points!" But the progressive clvl concept is so old and tried and true it's hard to alter it. People expect it, want it, etc.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

"Now, if my personal desire for combat challenge was 'fixed' just by not using a sniper rifle, I'd be fine with that, and conclude that the game wasn't 'easy' so much as only that one weapon is overpowered, so I should stop using it. But with a lot of testing & trials, for me at least, it's NOT just because of one weapon. It's the whole general concept of how dmg/weapons/DT blah blah works. But again, not trying to say there should be any mandatory change. Would just like another difficulty option."

I agree with you even more than you do. lolol What I mean is, I don't think the player should have to deny themselves something so integral to the game in order to find challenge in playing. I mean, the sniper rifle is totally brutal. In fact, I think guns are brutal as a category. Why should I be forced to deny myself the build I want because I'll run roughshod over everything if I use it? I mean, I might *choose* to create challenge by making a gimp PC. I shouldn't have to build a gimp PC in order to face some challenge. The only thing I will say is that most players probably don't find it so easy they can't enjoy the game. That's my gut instinct, though, so I offer it as something less forceful than an actual assessment.

The 'exp for skill check' format is so ingrained in the Fallout system, I think it'd be hard to get away from it. Elder Scrolls has a use based system, but even that's open to abuse as players hop repeatedly as they run so they can bump up skills. ...Or cast spells at various weak animals to build up magic. Build a better mousetrap and you get a smarter mouse, I guess.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I mean, I might *choose* to create challenge by making a gimp PC. I shouldn't have to build a gimp PC in order to face some challenge.

Agreed. Sometimes it is fun to create such a really 'gimped' character to give yourself an uber extra challenge, but it shouldn't feel like it's necessary to seriously gimp.

The only thing I will say is that most players probably don't find it so easy they can't enjoy the game.

From reading a lot of other boards, I'd agree here too. Like you say, many of us here...and many with these kind of complaints...are hardcore gamers who like to turn the game inside & out and learn mechanics or whatever else floats our personal boats. I don't think that's actually the majority of people who purchase the game, tho.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The Dead Money DLC announces a level cap of 35, I guess the path for overpowered characters is open again, looks like Bethesda/Obisidan didn't learn the lessons of the previous "Broken Steel" fiasco...

PR - Fallout: New Vegas Leads Digital PC Sales
Estimated Top 10 Titles & Expansions for October 2010, by Units Sold:

1. Fallout: New Vegas (Bethesda Softworks) - 308,000 Units ($49.99)

That combined with:

NPD Sales Results for October 2010
Fallout: New Vegas (360, PS3, PC) BETHESDA SOFTWORKS - 1,117,000

Fallout: New Vegas (Xbox 360) - 679K - Top individual SKU

Fallout: New Vegas (PC) -- 107K (Retail Only)

Fallout: New Vegas (PS3) -- 331K (via math)

brings the PC sales to a respectable 415,000 units. Nice.

pc is dead my ass.

level cap 35 eh... i actually never hit 30 with either of my two characters, once I hit level 24 I just go straight to the end game because I'm afraid of hitting the level cap. depending on my progress on the main path so far, I ended up getting to level 27-29 while finishing the game. then I start up a new character (am currently on 3rd, and favorite so far: cowboy build is insanely fun, i hope they make more perks like this in the dlc which encuourage a specific weapon loadout)

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Many characters/npc's dancing! .... I must have this mod, I want a dancing Boone. And Vulpes, and Benny, and... Hahaha!

PR - Fallout: New Vegas Leads Digital PC Sales
Estimated Top 10 Titles & Expansions for October 2010, by Units Sold:

1. Fallout: New Vegas (Bethesda Softworks) - 308,000 Units ($49.99)

That combined with:

NPD Sales Results for October 2010
Fallout: New Vegas (360, PS3, PC) BETHESDA SOFTWORKS - 1,117,000

Fallout: New Vegas (Xbox 360) - 679K - Top individual SKU

Fallout: New Vegas (PC) -- 107K (Retail Only)

Fallout: New Vegas (PS3) -- 331K (via math)

brings the PC sales to a respectable 415,000 units. Nice.

On the digital side that's just Steam sales, isn't it? Which means digital sales numbers are even better than that. Which means maybe the 360 version isn't the best selling version.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I know a couple of FPS enthusiasts who are digging this game a lot, even though it isn't an FPS.

But it has enough familiarity for them to get in it, they are loving the quirky setting and Mad Max vibe. A full-on PA FPS would be a big hit.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Or just play STALKER or Borderlands. (neither is post-apocalyptic in the sense that the world ended, but the distinction is trivial)

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Many characters/npc's dancing! .... I must have this mod, I want a dancing Boone. And Vulpes, and Benny, and... Hahaha!

Is that the same Umpa animation mod from FO3?

I'd guess/say so...with some additions. It's priceless, especially with all companions at once. I love it. :thumbsup:

I don't know much about Borderlands, is it good?

It's a good game. Good for you is entirely up in the air. I didn't expect myself to enjoy it as much as I did. It's not particularly serious and it's very loot oriented.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

There are vehicles in Borderlands. Tunnels? Not really. And yes it's a fun game. Lightweight but fun. Even my husband liked it & he doesn't play games much.

Edited by LadyCrimson

borderlands is a fantastic GAME, its not a great story, or a moving piece of art, but as a pure video game it's excellent. it does have cool character designs though. i bought it brand new when it came out and have since plunked well over 100 hours into it.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.