FO: NV (Spoilers)

That's too bad, I would rather not kill the BoS for House. BoS may be selfish xenophobes but they're not an evil faction. Neither is House really, he's doing what he can for the better of his beloved city and the people who live there. Too bad those two factions can't compromise like you can with the NCR and BoS.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

I'm becoming more annoyed at quests that break other quests. Killed Motor Runner for someone and now I can't do one of the options in a Khan's series. One could argue that it's 'realistic consequences', I get that, but it's still extremely frustrating when you encounter it, because when you get that quest failed message you may have no idea if it'll be something you'll care about until maybe hours later.

On the plus side, those NCR quests that dealt with the King etc. sure gave me a lot of experience, and I didn't have to kill anybody. It's one thing I've liked a lot about FONV...so many non-violent options. 80-90% of the time for actual quests I haven't had to kill anyone. Except for Legion, of course. *looks askance at Boone*

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Tell me about it. I finally had to give up on Cass' quest because it was completely messed up because I'd done various quests for all sorts of folks in the interim. On the other hand, I don't see exactly why it needed to be messed up. All the things necessary to do the quest in either direction were still there. Also, I screwed up the damned BoS questline for Veronica because I didn't replace McNammara. I got robbed, I tells ya! lol Now I'm going to play it on hardmode. I'm in Primm right now and so far so good. Hardcore does actually give some incentive to learn how to cook at least. Well... to get a good supply of Lad's Life more accurately.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Also, I screwed up the damned BoS questline for Veronica because I didn't replace McNammara.

I finished Veronica's quest without replacing the originial Elder :)

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Maybe I've been swayed by the discussions on NMA, but am I the only one that was unsatisfied by the Legion as a faction?

I can live with the silliness (though I'd have preferred if they were dealt the same way they redesigned the Khans), but they are pretty much evil with little to no grayness, in a world that offers much better alternatives.

I personally hope we will get a DLC that sends us a little bit into the east, where we see a kind of different Legion. So far, I am talking to myself all the time that the Legion shown in FNV is only how it is, because it's the border and war-zone.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

they're still just a bunch of slavers. organized, yes. in FO2 you'd wipe the floor with slavers and even if you joined Metzger and his gang, the only thing you'd get was a lousy tattoo. I think the Legion is supposed to play the same role in NV, the game is more about the Strip and it's independence from the NCR, since even the ver. 1 securitrons are able to keep the Legion at bay, I believe.

Edited by sorophx
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

? I don't think you can compare the Legion's role to the slavers in Fallout 2.

Since the beginning the Legion is presented as an enemy that's giving a lot of problems to the NCR, it's a faction that you can join and work for 'til the endgame, and was hyped by Obsidz as morally gray during the pre-release PR rush... except it isn't. It would have worked much better if the Mojave Wasteland really was much more anarchic and the Legion was shown in some areas as really bringing civilization, twisted as it may have been.

That's not even touching the fact that Caesar has pretty weird ideas about forging a society that can survive the post-apocalyptic wasteland (a society that doesn't use chems, apparently :) ). I guess his idea may work in Arizona but there's no reason for him to try and destroy the NCR. Also, the Roman empire wasn't quite as savage, but eh.

the NV's Legion is composed from a couple of tribes, remember what Enclave did to Arroyo? and what happened then? the NCR pretty much wiped Navarro. Caesar's Legion didn't stand a chance against the NCR's war machine in a direct confrontation.

Walsingham said:

the NV's Legion is composed from a couple of tribes, remember what Enclave did to Arroyo? and what happened then? the NCR pretty much wiped Navarro. Caesar's Legion didn't stand a chance against the NCR's war machine in a direct confrontation.

And yet the NCR won the first battle of Hoover Dam just barely. Regardless of what you or I could think about whether that scenario is plausible, the game clearly presents the Legion as a threat to the NCR.

And the Legion isn't composed by a "couple of tribes". 86 tribes were made in what is the Legion today, and the Legion is proficient enough in warfare tactics to sneak nuclear devices into the enemy camps, use firearms and so on. It's a far cry from the guys at Arroyo.

Count me in the camp that would've been more interested in the Legion is they didn't feel so obviously "the EVVVVVILLLLL ones." If they had been a bit more grey.

'Cause while I often play semi-evil, I rarely play EVVVVILLLLLL. :thumbsup:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Caesar's Legion is composed of 2 and 2 1/2 states. It's more than a couple of tribes.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I didn't say they're small in numbers. all I'm saying is they're obviously a little behind the NCR when it comes to combat efficiency. but that doesn't matter really since this whole conversation was about how the Legion doesn't play a big enough part in the game. I stand by my opinion, they weren't supposed to from the start.

Walsingham said:

Also, I screwed up the damned BoS questline for Veronica because I didn't replace McNammara.

I finished Veronica's quest without replacing the originial Elder :ermm:

I didn't replace the original elder but when I finished Veronica's quest I didn't like the result. I went back and replaced the original elder with Hardin and Hardin never actually took over the job after that. Now, let me tell you, McNammara (or whatever his name is) thought outside the box sufficiently to disobey an order from the previous elder and fight his way to Hidden Springs. He was flexible enough to break the Chains in order to send out clandestine scouts. It seems to me that he should have been willing to listen to Veronica, but he flat refused even conceding that his path would result in the death of the BoS. My point is, having started the quest with McNammara in place, I couldn't replace him with Hardin later. Hardin, even after over a week of ingame time, failed to take the reings. ...And I can only assume that Hardin would've listened to reason. If he doesn't, then the BoS can go screw themselves. Idiot sticks.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Just picked up Cass. What is her weapon type of choice?

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Meh, Boone only feels bugged until you're about lvl 12 or 14 or so. From what I got out of that info was he's supposed to start at 53 but ends up with 100 no matter what so until you catch up to him he seems overpowered. After that any of them can kick butt with the right gear on for their skills, or something like Pushy. I could make a player-chr. that has 100 in guns at lvl 6-7 if I really wanted...but I'm not an aim-bot. :(

He also made it sound like some of the others might be starting a bit lower than they should, skillswise. Not sure on that tho.

if they really wanted to decrease the overpoweredness of companions they should decrease their "I'm gonna attack now" range. I mean, I put cyberdog on Wait and he still ran down stairs, a hallway, and into a room to beat up on some bad guys. :ermm: Boone/others literally walk entire floors or more of the Vaults on their own, flinging open doors while hunting baddies. To me that's what's wrong with them more than anything.

That explains it - Boone was just awesome for a long time. I'm hitting lv14 now and getting 75 Guns myself, and feel like the enemies I'm facing now are finally a match for him.

And yeah, they are way too hyperactive, I can't sneak inside buildings at all if they're around.

That's my experience also. On Hardcore mode, if I want my companions to survive, I have to leave them in some areas and go forward on my own. Ironically, it's a lot harder to keep my companions alive than myself. I rarely die, even alone, while my companions, particularly ED-E, will occasionally bite the dust.

Okay, guys, where the hell are all the campfires? It's the most irritating thing. I'm either blind or they don't have any campfires in Novac. I thought, starting this run on HC mode, that cooking my own food would be a must. As it is, though, the mechanic hasn't really played much into my game. Not to mention the fact that I don't see many places to cook food anyhow. The H2O meter is only one that really has impact so far. Only been playing a couple of game weeks, though, so it might get tougher later. I don't care about the difficulty. Easy is fine as far as I'm concerned. I'm only doing HC mode to see what special goodies I get for finishing that way.

Obsidian Plays

Campfires are silly hard to find. You can usually find them near any gathering of random raiders, though.

One of the reasons companions die so much is that when you pick them up they reset to level 1. Supposedly. Another bug.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."