FO: NV (Spoilers)

Well, one not, but 10 might have the chance.

Given game mechanics they could barley scratch them.

It gets even worse with legion supposedly defeating them with machetes.

Yes, and given game mechanics, water heals gunshots.

Game mechanics are not the setting's reality.

Indeed and using common sense that outcome is even more absurd.

Unless you are willing to believe that 2000 years of weapon and armor development can be completely discounted.

Almost every member of Caesar's Legion I have bumped into has used firearms.

The Legion I've met seem to use firearms until you get up closer to a certain distance. Or maybe they run out of bullets.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

or maybe they get panic attacks when you get too close. you reputation precedes you.

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

they are practicing their close combat skills for the day they are promoted to ballistic fist user, at which point they become able to annihilate cities single-fistedly.

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I became slightly unmotivated after reaching New Vegas (that's typical for me, it's nothing wrong w/the game) and thus I made a new chr. w/higher sneak/luck & tried to get to Novac as soon as possible. By following the road and skipping most of the stuff you're supposed to do on the way there, I made it w/out too much trouble. The few bandits along the way were rather tough to deal with with my puny gear but not that bad. Did the check ranger station quest for Novac rep, grabbed Boone, & have my hotel room.

Ppl of Novac still gave me the 'follow the men who tried to kill you' quest, even tho I hadn't gone to Primm yet. Hopefully I haven't broken any quests. Or maybe I could keep going and not have to do Primm? This should be interesting. I'm liking this character build better too. Higher luck definitely feels...well, luckier.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Ppl of Novac still gave me the 'follow the men who tried to kill you' quest, even tho I hadn't gone to Primm yet. Hopefully I haven't broken any quests. Or maybe I could keep going and not have to do Primm? This should be interesting. I'm liking this character build better too. Higher luck definitely feels...well, luckier.

You can go directly to Vegas if you want, AFAIK.

Oh? You don't have to do anything but go to Vegas, if you can run yourself down there? Interesting. I'd think getting there that early & then trying to do the quests might be a little difficult. Intriguing! I'll leave Boone in the hotel (he'd fire at things...) and try it then.

my experience shows that it's better to get to Vegas as soon as possible, because most quests there take you all over the map, and I hate revisiting locations. besides, when I finally go to the main quest line, I was already lvl 30 and wasn't motivated to do any extra running.

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

But wouldn't getting to New Vegas at lvl3 or so with hardly any money or gear (cause you're not doing anything) be a bit difficult? I do agree about not wandering overly much tho...the game seems more geared (difficulty wise) for not doing that. After level 8 or 9 I stopped talking to new people when I discovered a location, I only tried to get places on my map so I could fast travel there when I needed to later. At Normal difficulty non-hardcore, once I became used to the combat, it became a little too easy at level 15 when doing "everything" along the way, except for those few badarse enemy types. If I go back to my first game I'll be pushing that up to Very Hard.

Doesn't mean you can't wander...just depends what you want from the game. :)

if your speech and science/doctor are around 50, you'll be fine. there's no one to fight in Vegas, most quests will get you at least a couple of levels before you even get to your first Vault. at least it'll provide a challenge :) my second walkthrough will most deifnitely be on hard/hardcore and no free roaming

Walsingham said:

Just have to remember not to kill Cachino early..otherwise it'll break the main quest line for both the NCR and House...

Even though I decided to get around it by killing Troike, the other guy, and Big Sal.. I still got word the Omerta tried attacking the strip during the Hoover Dam assault...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I'm really chatty tonight. One last question before I try to get a few hours sleep:

What do you all think, in terms of Perks, about Intensive Training vs. combat-helpful ones. With only 1 Perk every 2 levels I wouldn't want all 10 ranks of Training, but 3-5l ranks to boost the stats you left weak seems helpful. Did you go for all the different Perks, or more stats?

I'm really chatty tonight. One last question before I try to get a few hours sleep:

What do you all think, in terms of Perks, about Intensive Training vs. combat-helpful ones. With only 1 Perk every 2 levels I wouldn't want all 10 ranks of Training, but 3-5l ranks to boost the stats you left weak seems helpful. Did you go for all the different Perks, or more stats?

It depends on the character build.... I kind of pumped up my lockpicks, science, stealth.. then barter and speech..

There were some fun perks that helped around.. but I couldn't see pumping so many perks on Training ..I mean by the time you reach high level..you've got a lot of skill points if you had high intelligence to start with..

Woops, my bad.I was having a brain fart moment and for some reason thought the Intensive Training was the skill boost..

well, if you've got the money there are always the Implants you can get that give you a bonus of 1 to a stat.. although you can only have so many Implants..

Edited by Raithe

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

why would you want to go there? :)

I took Intensive Training two times, both to boost STR from 4 to 6. to tell you the truth most perks seem useless anyway, you get, what, 15 of them by lvl 30, and there's aonly a couple of useful ones.

Walsingham said:

I just found the best line of dialogue in New Vegas

"I see. Yes Man, please throw general Oliver from the Dam" :lol: can't stop laughing

Edited by sorophx
Walsingham said:

I took Intensive Training two times, both to boost STR from 4 to 6. to tell you the truth most perks seem useless anyway, you get, what, 15 of them by lvl 30, and there's aonly a couple of useful ones.

That's kind of how I'm feeling. For me there are maybe 6-7 Perks that I'd consider "I really want" and the rest are 'eh' or at most "sounds funny". So I was thinking I'd rather have higher stats, either to be overall balanced or pump one or two to 10, haha. Hm.

Intensive training is probably the most useless perk in the game. Why would you want to boost strength? To carry more? Strong back is 5 times better than 1 point in strength. To use heavier weaponry? Weapon handling is 2 times better than 1 point in strength. Want more skill points? Educated, comprehension, and Tag It! are each better than a point in intelligence. Finesse is better than luck for criticals.

Maybe if you're looking to do better at the slots or pass that one luck check in the game.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Yes, my concept for STR was for heavier weapon/less/no penalty for using them. It certainly wasn't for carrying, since I altered my base weight capacity via a mod. :lol: Nor do I care about more skill pts. per level up.

The perks are nice, but my impression was that the stats themselves had some subtle bonuses that combined with a related perk would make things that much better. For instance, Luck and loot, perhaps. Not saying it's so, that was just my impression. Maybe I'm wrong. (edit:I guess loot isn't mentioned in the Luck description, but it does help w/criticals, so with both Finesse & high Luck...) . Or that some perks require at least 6/7 in the stat.

Also, to see the dialogue options. I suppose I might also try building a chr. with 2 maxed attributes and very low everything else. heh

Edited by LadyCrimson

Most level 20+ perks suck, hence one might as well pick Intensive training. Not to mention, some people started with STR 3 characters, thinking that no way in hell a pistol or rifle would require 6 STR (or more, see the AM rifle) to wield with maximum efficiency.

Edited by virumor

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

I have problems with chosing perks as well, but it for sure is better than in Fallout 3 (and partly than in the original games). I never liked the "+x to skill y"-perks, which are now all gone in NV.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Is there any way to get to the area West of the Mesquite Mountains/Mojave outpost? I cannot climb across the mountains and the exit gate of Mojave outpost requires a key.

No. That's the western border.

We should have had a check with Major Knight at Mojave Outpost where you can say, "I want to go back to NCR." and just roll the credits.

They dumbed down the Fat Man and made it useless. 100 something of damage? WTF? Action Boy/Girl perk only gets you 20 AP back? Well hopefully the FOOK mod or another will restore some things back to Fallout 3 specs.

Where's Vault 34 at? I found all the others but that.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester