Movies you've seen recently

Gorth

The Other Guys. Wow it was horrible, which is a shame because the whole loser cop angle could have made some decent comedy.

Huh, I thought it was one of the better comedies I've seen. Are you normally not a fan of Will Farrel? His whole pimp affect on the ladies just had me laughing, especially the way Marky Mark reacted to it.

Watched this little 2009 "thriller/horror" film called Frozen. In style it reminds me of Open Water. Tiny cast, more 'real situational' horror (vs zombies/mask wearing serial killers). Slow build, more talking than action etc. The acting is quite a bit higher than in Open Water however. It's nothing to write home about, and some elements were pretty redonkulous/improbable of course, but for the type of film, thought it was fairly effective at making you squirm in a 'what if I was in that situation' kind of way, particularly a couple of scenes. I'd give it 6 or 6.5 out of 10.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I find Will Farrel funny for about 3 minutes, than he just becomes childishly annoying. So ppl like that work in skits ala SNL but in movies..for me not so much.l But I don't generally like slapstick comedy. Sometimes, but not too often.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The Other Guys. Wow it was horrible, which is a shame because the whole loser cop angle could have made some decent comedy.

Huh, I thought it was one of the better comedies I've seen. Are you normally not a fan of Will Farrel? His whole pimp affect on the ladies just had me laughing, especially the way Marky Mark reacted to it.

It was kind of funny at first... but they beat it like a dead horse. I either love his movies or hate them. Makes him a rather frustrating comedian for me because when I don't like his movies I usually hate them.

I thought The Other Guys was pretty dumb, but there were some moments I really loved. And every time someone mentions it I start singing "don't go chasing wateralls" in my head. Godamnit!

Tron:Legacy.

Oh, thanks for reminding me I need to buy the Blu-Ray. Tis an audio/visual feast.

Sahara

A film adaption of a Dirk Pitt novel by Clive Cussler. Actually quite enjoyable in that silly way.

Mathew McConaughey and Steve Zahn do pretty damned good to make it almost a buddy movie in the midst of the pulp adventure of it all. Penelope Cruz is more of a throwaway role as the eyecandy romance aspect. William H Macy growls his way as the unconventional Admiral, and Lambert Wilson does his stock role of urbane evil mastermind in a fairly decent manner.

Plus it's got a killer soundtrack.

And it kind of makes me sad that they scrapped the idea of doing some more.. :p

Al Giordino: Man, the Admiral's gonna be mad when he hears you lost his satellite phone.

Dirk Pitt: Not as mad as when Rudi tells him it was attached to the boat.

Admiral James Sandecker: [sees Rudi on a couch] Rudi?

Rudi Gunn: [sits up] Admiral, I have news about your boat. Boom.

[makes a hand gesture that implies blowing up]

Dirk Pitt: We need to find that bomb.

Al Giordino: No. I'll find the bomb. You get the girl.

Dirk Pitt: ...Deal!

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

2009's Exam.

Closed room/tension thriller. 8 ppl who want the same job, stuck in a room for a last 'test', have to figure out what the test is/what is wanted from them.

I assume a small budget and I didn't recognize any of the actors, but it was well done imo. If you don't like talk-based films that build tension via character conflict you might not like it/find it boring, but I liked this one. 8/10

Edit:one of the acting stand-outs was Luke Mably, who apparently had a smaller role in 28 Days Later.

Edited by LadyCrimson

Scream 4

Eh, entertaining for the most part. Although the "deconstruction of reboots" was rather thrown away. I think the key trouble is that you know there's going to be a twist - so a part of the mind is looking for the hints, and you go "Ah hah! That's what it's going to be!" before the twist arrives.

Neve Campbell still looks kinda cute.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Scream is the best horror series ever. Scream 3 also happens to be the last movie I watched in theatres and the only one I watched more than once. Scream 4 almost got me to go back but I rfuse to do threatre again. Can't wait til it is released on DVD.

Too bad that while it's gonna make money it's not a blazing hit like the earlier ones depsite reviews being reasonably positive espciially considering it's 4th in the series.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Scream is the best horror series ever. Scream 3 also happens to be the last movie I watched in theatres and the only one I watched more than once. Scream 4 almost got me to go back but I rfuse to do threatre again. Can't wait til it is released on DVD.

Too bad that while it's gonna make money it's not a blazing hit like the earlier ones depsite reviews being reasonably positive espciially considering it's 4th in the series.

It always struck me as more of a horror-satire than a legitimate horror entry. I do find them surprisingly enjoyable though, it's awesome how they have kept the cast together over the iterations.

Despicable Me.

Cute & charming...but a bit too kid-cute for my tastes. Enjoyable enough tho.

I've been playing the original Fallout for the first time and decided to see some of the films that inspired the game.. so I've watched the Mad Max trilogy, they are pretty decent, and A boy and his dog, which was quite surreal. :)

Fortune favors the bald.

Finally watched The Expendables. :lol:

It was ok. Not as over the top silly as I was expecting, except near the end. One brief bit as Stallone is

rescuing the woman from the 'dungeon' area

was hilarious, with that huge gun popping baddies like a video game almost.

The movie, however, has an awesome soundtrack. It's the new listening fave at the moment.

Finally... Four Lions.

Hysterically funny, moving, intellectual. Bloody see it.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Finally... Four Lions.

Hysterically funny, moving, intellectual. Bloody see it.

+1

One of the best movies of 2010.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I saw Thor 3D last night. It was fun, if not so memorable. My Ukrainian mail order bride loved it though, so it was worth it.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I saw Thor 3D last night. It was fun, if not so memorable. My Ukrainian mail order bride loved it though, so it was worth it.

You have an Ukrainian mail bride? :p

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

You have an Ukrainian mail bride? :p

Didn't you see the picture. It looked like my niece with an afghan hound sitting on her head.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

You have an Ukrainian mail bride? :o

Didn't you see the picture. It looked like my niece with an afghan hound sitting on her head.

Are you pulling my leg or did that really happen? Because i'm very gullible.

You guys wouldn't do all this to make fun of me would you? :)

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif