APB shutdown: This what happens when you make an MMO

Kaftan Barlast

The other MMO's like Eve online are making money, but only about enough to cover their costs.

Source for that ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Uh, The guys who made Champions online were aiming for a ballpark of 20k subscribers I think because at that point it would be determined they could do a Villian game and be successful at it.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

The thing is, WoW has a +90% market share and is showing no signs of losing players to others games.

That's like saying "make no more hack&slash 'cause there is Diablo II", "make no more RTS 'cause there is StarCraft 2", make no more RPG 'cause there is BioWare", "make no more freeform games 'cause there is Bethesda", "make no more FPS 'cause there is MW2" etc. etc. etc.

And is UO (Ultima Online for those of you who are post-WoW) not still running as well?

Edited by Hassat Hunter

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

The thing is, WoW has a +90% market share and is showing no signs of losing players to others games.

That's like saying "make no more hack&slash 'cause there is Diablo II", "make no more RTS 'cause there is StarCraft 2", make no more RPG 'cause there is BioWare", "make no more freeform games 'cause there is Bethesda", "make no more FPS 'cause there is MW2" etc. etc. etc.

And is UO (Ultima Online for those of you who are post-WoW) not still running as well?

I know there are some free realms still around. I think it still is though. EA has proven to be pretty bad at managing MMO's, I'm sure they hope TOR will reverse their fortune.

The thing with MMO's is that very few people have time to play more than one, and the total number of MMO players is relatively fixed, so in order to compete you need to steal players from other MMO's. Its not like normal games, where you play one game one weekend and then another the next. Think of it as a cake, where the only chance of you getting a bigger piece is if someone else gives up a portion of his. And Blizzard is the biggest, meanest, toughest guy in the room... that also happens to have claimed 3/4ths of the cake as his.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

A few people here have suggested that All Points Bulletin was a bad game. Can I ask why?

Bad driving model, terrible shooting model, not very tactical really, the game basically ends up as whoever gets to the mission point camps. Awful mission implementation, I dunno running upto a window playing a bad animation and then spawning a pick-up and having that be the player rob some place is just plane lame.

Also the game lacks environments, and well... It also lacks any point.

They spent so many years working on the customisation tools they clearly forgot to make a game. I've met a few guys who turned down jobs at realtime worlds, the reason was that it was clear that this game was missing something.

It's bad direction like APB, that ultimately lead to the demise of realtime worlds.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Its like there is some idea in the world that Blizzard is infalible? Which is a pile of steaming doggie poo.

Its like there is some idea in the world that Blizzard is infalible? Which is a pile of steaming doggie poo.

Far from infallible, they just haven't failed until now, and their design and marketing strategy are among the smartest in the industry, which is surely something that you know much better than me, being inside that industry we're talking about.

The thing with MMO's is that very few people have time to play more than one, and the total number of MMO players is relatively fixed, so in order to compete you need to steal players from other MMO's. Its not like normal games, where you play one game one weekend and then another the next. Think of it as a cake, where the only chance of you getting a bigger piece is if someone else gives up a portion of his. And Blizzard is the biggest, meanest, toughest guy in the room... that also happens to have claimed 3/4ths of the cake as his.

You are just making stuff up. Here is a chart of MMO subscriptions, which has had a steady climb. Also, WoW has had a steady drop in the last couple years in subscription numbers, which means there is a void to be filled.

TotalSubs.png

Far from infallible, they just haven't failed until now, and their design and marketing strategy are among the smartest in the industry, which is surely something that you know much better than me, being inside that industry we're talking about.

Sure, all true, but I'm not a massive fan of their games, their IP space is all ripped off.

Blizzard are great at what they do.

But what they do isn't for me at all.

You are just making stuff up. Here is a chart of MMO subscriptions, which has had a steady climb. Also, WoW has had a steady drop in the last couple years in subscription numbers, which means there is a void to be filled.

Oh no, looks like we've reached peak MMO :)

what's that massive crash between 2009 and 2010? what caused it? I don't remember anything about it in the news

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

hahaha, wow :( 1/3 of subscribers out in an instant, nice move on the chinese government's part

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

So... how about that Star Wars MMO?

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I hope it fails and Bio realizes they shouldn't waste thier time making ****y-*** MMOs.

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS