APB shutdown: This what happens when you make an MMO

Kaftan Barlast

I think he means Galaxy. Which is dead, no?

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

I have some friends who are into WoW, and trust me you'd need a nuke to separate them from it. It's scary. And it's not like they are gamers. By that, I mean that prior to WoW they weren't really into games and apart from WoW they're not really into anything else (not that they'd have the time given their MMO fetish).

I've seen it being played and the appeal escapes me. Online RTS, where you can play missions for a couple of hours then not worry about it for a week, are more my thing and I suspect the majority of other gamers.

sonsofgygax.JPG

I have some friends who are into WoW, and trust me you'd need a nuke to separate them from it. It's scary. And it's not like they are gamers. By that, I mean that prior to WoW they weren't really into games and apart from WoW they're not really into anything else (not that they'd have the time given their MMO fetish).

I've seen it being played and the appeal escapes me. Online RTS, where you can play missions for a couple of hours then not worry about it for a week, are more my thing and I suspect the majority of other gamers.

Well, I think that's part of the draw to WoW, at least early on. You can spend an hour or two online and feel like you just did something. It's addictive, I'll let ya know that much >.<

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

many games are addictive. I think Monte said it all with "prior to WoW they weren't really into games and apart from WoW they're not really into anything else". that's the only reason WoW is so big.

none of my friends play it, because it's kinda weak. not hardcore enough for us :o

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I had the (mis?)fortune of having to review World of Warcraft back in the day, so I was given a free pass to play World of Warcraft for all eternity if I wanted. I got it approximately three months before launch, and I played it for three months after.

It was horribly addictive. I was playing for 8-10 hours per day during that period. Everything else started feeling as hindrances from my playing time. Spending time with the girlfriend? Felt like three hours of WoW lost. Going to the movies? Another three hours of WoW lost. And so on. It was when I realized that my priorities had been turned upside down that I stopped playing. I mean, I was annoyed that my own girlfriend was in the way of me clocking in another three hours after the five hours I had already spent playing a game! How sick is that?

When I realized that, it was easy to stop playing. I told Blizzard that I didn't want any more free months and uninstalled the client.

Oh, and er.. Kaftan is wrong about everything as usual.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I lasted 3 days on WoW, seems I am rather immune to whatever elements of addiction exit within the title.

I actually force myself to play MMO's, I've yet to find one that works for me, but giving WoW another shot won't hurt, I'll likely laugh at it. I've been told that if I can get past level 20, I should be hooked, we'll see about that... I'm looking forwards to my experiment. I'm certain I shall win.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

games like WoW tend to get very repetitive very early into the game. can't blame the developers for it, since it's essential to their commercial success. but I do wonder sometimes, why would so many people want to play WoW, when it's so shallow... it's like enjoying a torture, a masochistic thing rather than just fun.

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

well, there are some things, like weed or whiskey for example, that just makes you (ok, me) wonder: what's so great about it?

Walsingham said:

eh, maybe I just fail at making good examples, never mind then

Walsingham said:

well, there are some things, like weed or whiskey for example, that just makes you (ok, me) wonder: what's so great about it?

Whisky has many varieties, much like beer, the same could be said for weed. It's a flavour/effect thing.

Also, some people enjoy extreme changes of mental state, and that's what I would assume is so great about it.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

heh, that's probably it, I could never see the difference between sorts of beer. now, a good cognac is something completely different :p

but yeah, that was a bad example, I can't find the words to explain it, let's just drop the subject :thumbsup: I guess there really are some things you can argue about forever and not move one inch

Walsingham said: