Fallout: New Vegas

Gorth

guess, that rifle is Josh's personal favorite :lol:

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Just received an e-mail from amazon.ca

Your Amazon Alerts

Availability Alert

We're happy to inform you that the item(s) you requested are now available to order from Amazon.ca Video Games:

Fallout New Vegas - Collectors Edition

Availability: This item will be released on October 19, 2010. Pre-order now!

:lol:

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

it was a horrible rifle. I'd rather fight with a broken nuka-cola bottle than a rifle that freaking ugly.

No joke, I saw that when I was like 2 or 3 and it scarred until I was like 15, when I was scrolling through the cable channels and happened upon my recurring nightmares.

Neil the super mutant looks cool.

But I hope, that straps aren't overused now. :>

Also the landscape looks pretty good to me. Much better than Fallout 3.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

It's actually quite surprising (and cool) how much they've nudged the look of F3 super mutants closer to the F1/F2 look without doing anything particularly drastic - a little more green to the skin color, a little more prominence in the jaw.

Edited by Pop

I also find it funny how some of the fans think THEY know what fallout 'is' vs. the ORIGINAL DESIGNERS. I mean.. really? How arrogant and self important can you be? From some of the posts here and elsewhere apparently quite a bit. IMO if OE/BIS says 'this is what fallout is' then thats it. I am entitled to my opinion but in the end the designers view is law. End of discussion. I am not even going to pretend to know better then them.

I kinda don't want to bring up yet another discussion about this but it is fairly clear and laid out on the interwebz what the original designers (as in the people who did Fallout 1) wanted to accomplish with the game. Furthermore, as wonderful as it is to point out NMA as the cancer of the universe, you're bound to find the same type of arguments (generally speaking) within any fan-community. Hell, as I understand it there are people complaining about how DS3 is breaking the Dungeon Siege tradition. Completely unfathomable to me personally as I think the two first games (based on what little I've played) were bad and boring, but there you are.

I agree with the people who say that the 50s thing is taken a bit far. Something I liked about Fallout 1 was that you could still take it pretty seriously as a post-apoc game, even though there was obviously humor in it. But I think as the series goes on, the 50s schtick is so prevalent that it almost feels like the game is poking fun at itself a lot of the time. There's a lot of stuff I really look forward to in New Vegas, namely how roleplaying seems to very improved, especially with the factions and the player's role in them... But a lot of stuff, like the gang of Elvis impersonators for example, doesn't strike me as particularly Fallout (if I may *dare* to even suggest that) and downright strange all together.

As far as mna and my view of them is concerned i'll tell you a story and leave it at that. many moons ago I emailed the admin, politely and tactfully countering a view point of some op ed they wrote about fallout. The reply I got back from him was telling me to, literally, STFU and other various f bombs as apparently if I didn't agree I didn't know my arse from my elbow. So yes that experience certainly colors the view I have on them, the kind of community they foster and their site and why I think they are bunch of arses.

As for the 50s thing who took it too far? Beth? Well thats a valid argument.. not sure I agree but one thats debatable. However with BIS/OE now doing this FO I wouldn't begin to argue of their vision. They designed it they get to say what FO is or isn't. As for the BLACK humor thats been a staple of FO so how anyone can argue thats not FO is beyond me. I think beth however on this level tries too hard and over reached their ability with black humor writing. A for effort but about a C on execution. I think OE however will get the subtle black humor back on track and not over do it but also not try so hard and make it too obvious like beth did in fo3.

I think you and others are too hung up on the serious side of FO.. the mad max side if you will you forgot what made FO unique.. was the dark humor.. and poking fun at itself and subtle inside jokes. I think the elvis thing fits great with the type of dry and dark humor the first 2 had. After the bombs fall what survives? A army of elvises! Thats priceless!

World of Darkness News

http://www.wodnews.net

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

After the bombs fall what survives? A army of elvises! Thats priceless!

*shrug*

Anything elvis has been done to death, but yeah, if they can do it well the content might have legs.

Game developers trying desperately to be funny is a pretty awkward and uncomfortable though.

If they were really funny they would be either stand-up comedians or game show hosts.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

After the bombs fall what survives? A army of elvises! Thats priceless!

*shrug*

Anything elvis has been done to death, but yeah, if they can do it well the content might have legs.

Game developers trying desperately to be funny is a pretty awkward and uncomfortable though.

If they were really funny they would be either stand-up comedians or game show hosts.

If anyone can pull it off MCA can...

Yes beth tried too hard with the humor and over reached more times then not.. I think thats clear as day in fo3 to anyone but a die hard fanboy. No offense to beth but they IMO simply dont have the writing chops to pull off the subtle dark humor of the fo franchise. Why I am so excited MCA and gang are doing it.

hhhmmm depends on execution but I COULD see a mad max thunderdome kind of arena area spoof with said game show host... that would fit fairly well I think.

World of Darkness News

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

As much as I like our dear Chris, it should be noted that he joined the project when the main plot was already set in stone and that he's just contributing to a larger team.

I do sometimes feel that the other writers at Obsidian don't get the credit they deserve.

True.. however it does not take a major plot re-write to add in the black humor elements which was my point... anyone with skill can do that after the fact. ie putting in a snarky, grim description for a gun or location is main plot/story/dialog independent.

World of Darkness News

---

- Doreen Valiente

As much as I like our dear Chris, it should be noted that he joined the project when the main plot was already set in stone and that he's just contributing to a larger team.

I do sometimes feel that the other writers at Obsidian don't get the credit they deserve.

Well, we'll still have to see with New Vegas. Gonzalez former work is Tom Clancy's end War and Alter Echo. Ok, they are both different gernes but still. As of now he doesn't have ANY credit in the rpg gerne. From what I've seen though I'm impressed positively.

Contrary to that George Ziets has plenty of respect in the rpg community since MOTB. (And very well deserved)

(Also all the other writers that contributed to the game did a good job. That I'm sure of)

Edited by C2B

As for the 50s thing who took it too far? Beth? Well thats a valid argument.. not sure I agree but one thats debatable. However with BIS/OE now doing this FO I wouldn't begin to argue of their vision. They designed it they get to say what FO is or isn't. As for the BLACK humor thats been a staple of FO so how anyone can argue thats not FO is beyond me. I think beth however on this level tries too hard and over reached their ability with black humor writing. A for effort but about a C on execution. I think OE however will get the subtle black humor back on track and not over do it but also not try so hard and make it too obvious like beth did in fo3.

I think you and others are too hung up on the serious side of FO.. the mad max side if you will you forgot what made FO unique.. was the dark humor.. and poking fun at itself and subtle inside jokes. I think the elvis thing fits great with the type of dry and dark humor the first 2 had. After the bombs fall what survives? A army of elvises! Thats priceless!

I actually like the fact that each Fallout has a clearly different take on the universe, though for the most part, similar enough that they're not... you know, they're more like different angles that accentuate different things, rather than violating each other's canon. FO1 was the most 'sombre' of them all, FO2 went zany and pop, FO3 decided to put the 50's aspect into very sharp relief. I mean, there are problems in the sense that the FO3 world could have avoided making so many small lore-contradictions, and that they butchered the BOS for no reason other than to make "cool wasteland jedi knights yarr", but I think it did a good job in giving FO3 a strong and consistent identity.

It depends on your priorities. As Starwars says, if you were there at the time and/or read up on the developer comments and such, it's quite very clear what the original devs' vision was, and it's quite clear that FO2 diverged a fair bit from that, and FO3 very much from it. I just think that with a game franchise, and a long-lived one like this, you'll never really get a consistent auteur vision even if you get Tim Cain back on the project, and I like seeing the different take each game does, as well as it's well done and is sensitive to what came before.

Yes beth tried too hard with the humor and over reached more times then not.. I think thats clear as day in fo3 to anyone but a die hard fanboy. No offense to beth but they IMO simply dont have the writing chops to pull off the subtle dark humor of the fo franchise. Why I am so excited MCA and gang are doing it.

Yep, no argument there. Obsidian's strength is writing, Bethie's is, um, well, it's not writing, tfs.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I thought Beth did quite well with their stuff in Morrowind. The guy falling from the sky, the Indiana Jones egg.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."