StarCraft 2

Serrano

So, how's the modding community looking? Any decent maps yet, or only DotA 2.0 or some similar generic ****?

hmmm, that's a hard line to actually discuss. Blizzards custom map scene has a few...kinks...right now. Some people would go a little more ballistic than that if you look at their forums. There are fifty maps that are popular right now however...

:lol:

most of the Zerg has come under something else's control again - probably a return of the Cerebrates

That's precisely what I don't want to see. A campaign where the plot focus is

Zerg v Zerg

Simply have wild Zerg while focusing on v. Dominion.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

The story isn't anything special. The story wasn't anything special in SC1 either. The story isn't anything special in 99% of all video-games. I'm not sure where people got so hung up on the Starcraft story.

People were never really hung up on starcraft story but on the way it was told. Script filled dynamically changing maps directly involving storyline heroes were a novelty at the time.

High quality cutscenes didn

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Meh. Starcraft 2 is a great game. Compared to SC1, it does things even better. Better mission design, cool characters, some research and upgrading stuff. I thought only the CG cutscenes in SC1 were better.

Either way, can't wait for Heart of the Swarm.

I never understood the joy of the cutscenes. I always got annoyed at the terrible teeth and the uncanny valley of their faces all the time.

That said, SC1 was one of the first RTS's who did it's best to integrate the story deeper into gameplay. Also the idea of "hero" units was awesome, even if it was handicapped with "You got em, but they die and you fail" so most people kept them in their bases to prevent the death.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

thing about war3 was that the heros go in the way of those who wanted to have a pile of small units.

thing about war3 was that the heros go in the way of those who wanted to have a pile of small units.

The way that you can upgrade with techs I think is very different in it's single player experience, and personalizes each campaign to a person. You have different alien tech integration you get to choose, how you spend your money on research for tech upgrades, and then of course the hiring of mercs (though this is probably the least different portion of sp campaigns, I imagine there are quite a few that just hire all of them). I think in the feel the SP campaign of Starcraft is a bigger leap up then WC3 was from SC1.

On the otherhand MP is really different in the new types of units and how they work which in MY MIND changes MP quite drastically with the various strategies. Still, it even with the different units and types it's either build and rush quick, or hunker down and try for the big units quick...which isn't as big a difference as WC3 with the hero development was. I actually think I like SC2's take better than WC3 though as that goes.

On the otherhand, Battlenet 2.0 is a BIG downgrade and very restrictive....but this is overall a cheerful thread so I won't bog it down with that issue.

I want to hurt the person who put so much of the focus in Warcraft 3 on the heroes. I hated those damn heroes so very much. :p

Edited by Deraldin

I want to hurt the person who put so much of the focus in Warcraft 3 on the heroes. I hated those damn heroes so very much. >_<

WCIII was a ****ty RTS, but a great modding platform.

Whether or not I buy SCII depends on whether or not the modding community approaches the glory that was WCIII bnet in its prime.

Speaking of which, how is the modding? Any decent custom maps out yet, or just DotA 2.0 or other generic ****?

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

I want to hurt the person who put so much of the focus in Warcraft 3 on the heroes. I hated those damn heroes so very much. >_<

Whether or not I buy SCII depends on whether or not the modding community approaches the glory that was WCIII bnet in its prime.

Speaking of which, how is the modding? Any decent custom maps out yet, or just DotA 2.0 or other generic ****?

No idea. Haven't played any custom games so I can't tell you what is good or what isn't. I can say that I've only seen one "DotA" ish game so far.

Onslaught I've found is a pretty good turtle map if you're into that, but several of the maps are simple carry overs from the SC1 and War3 map series.

No real modding yet...to put it bluntly, some feel as if Blizzard has currently blocked the modding scene for SCII. There's a whole bunch of stuff in the Blizzard SCII forums, but since I'm not a modder, though I did create custom maps in SC original, for now I'll not repeat it here. Basically the mod scene hasn't really gotten off the ground yet. Either give them time to work out some issues, or for them to come up with some stuff.

just finished the campaign last night. great game, am starting a new campaign today, and will probably jump into multiplayer next week sometime. i expect to not enjoy multiplayer and will probably put the game away for a few months before I replay the campaign again or start into the custom maps that people make once i get tired of new vegas and civ 5.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I've found 4v4 rather fun, I'm currently playing in 4v4 Diamond League.

Also, it's a pain in the ass to get some of the mission achievements...

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"