Fallout: New Vegas

Whining about replacing one useless collectible trinket w/ another. :shifty: Glad F:NV forums are there.

It's even funnier when you look through the posts on THIS board and realize that people are exactly the same here, except about other equally unimportant details.

"What?! No Ron Perlman reading the intro?!? YOU JUST LOST A SALE, OBSIDIAN!"

"What?! A solar powered cannon from space!! THAT'S NOT FALLOUT AT ALL! NO SALE!!"

"What?!? An orc..mutant wearing a WIG and funny GLASSES?! I didn't see that in Van Buren (easily the best game ever, I know this because I am psychic)!#&! SCREW YOU OBS!"

---

You guys seriously need to look in a mirror from time to time.

In some ways true, but the above posts you mentioned are usually by the same 2-3 posters (in most cases anyway). Whether this is still the case I can't accurately say as I haven't been seriously following the thread in some time other than a few glances now and again.

Granted, they may have not used those exact words, but I've read all of those complaints there.

Granted, not from exactly the same user, and they're not an hivemind, but it still fits the hardcore fallout fan mentality more than what you usually see here (where actually, things like the orbital laser and the super mutant with a wig were defended).

Well, complaints do tell developers that someone thinks something is wrong though, I'm not particularly a fan of the Ion Cannon - but the Wiggy Supermutant was explained more in detail later, wich mostly made people settle down a bit - though much of that reaction is due to people not having much faith in Bethesda/Obsidian not making the game over the top silly.

*not-so-fond memories of a rage thread about groin shots*

I think that was alot of frustration from many members that found something easy to pick apart, and also something that detracted somewhat from tactical gameplay and over-simplifying the gameplay mechanics in VATS - that was said to allow oldschool players to play F3 as the predecessors.

But groin shots would'nt have been anywhere near as much fun without the textbox. :(

I think Fallout Rage threads exist wherever Fallout Threads exist. :down:

I still have "fond" memories of the weekend after Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel was announced back when I was still a mod for Interplay... :shifty:

Well, to be fair - or atleast as it's been told to me - most of the rage over F:POS was due to the fact that Interplay promised a new Fallout-style game if people bought Fallout Tactics, and instead people got a Dark Alliance clone. Could be having my timeline fubar'd though.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I think Fallout Rage threads exist wherever Fallout Threads exist. :down:

I still have "fond" memories of the weekend after Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel was announced back when I was still a mod for Interplay... :shifty:

Dear god...

/hug/

hahaha! Well I knew the job was dangerous when I volunteered for it. But my that was...a very different weekend.

Well, to be fair - or atleast as it's been told to me - most of the rage over F:POS was due to the fact that Interplay promised a new Fallout-style game if people bought Fallout Tactics, and instead people got a Dark Alliance clone. Could be having my timeline fubar'd though.

Still didn't really justify some of the stuff people did IMO - angry over the announcement or not.

It did answer the age old question of how quickly users could post animated gifs of FOBOS producer Chuck Cuevas having horrible things happen to him, though.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Well, when people feel cheated they do react in intresting manners. :D

Just curious, how long did it take? 15 minutes?

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

They probably could have posted the whole cover art instead of just a magnified corner, but overall, it looks nice.

There's apparently a lot of detail going on, and it pictures the idea of a populated post-apocalyptic city much better than what both the old and the new engine could.

I must be a horrible comic fan because I think this sneak peek is uninteresting.

I love the guy, Geof Darrow, very distinct style. Why would anyone want to stand in line to have it signed by Chris Avelone. Just sayin', they better put them by the same desk, otherwise the line by Chris is going to be very short indeed.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Well, when people feel cheated they do react in intresting manners. :D

Just curious, how long did it take? 15 minutes?

I think the animated gif avatar of him disappearing into Goatse man took about two hours before I saw it (it may have arrived earlier). But simple stuff was up in minutes.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I must be a horrible comic fan because I think this sneak peek is uninteresting.

Did'nt really do anything for me either, but then again - none of the names mentioned means anything to me. That said there are alot of details, like the heart on the belly of the girl right next to the middle lamppost.

I think the animated gif avatar of him disappearing into Goatse man took about two hours before I saw it (it may have arrived earlier). But simple stuff was up in minutes.

Generally speaking I'm more fond of quality well formulated verbal assaults, caricatures are too simplistic.

I love the guy, Geof Darrow, very distinct style. Why would anyone want to stand in line to have it signed by Chris Avelone. Just sayin', they better put them by the same desk, otherwise the line by Chris is going to be very short indeed.

I'm trying to imagine someone older than 15 picking up a comic book for the art, and what I get is a grim image indeed: who exactly are these stunted little manchildren picking their way through their cartoony books, their tiny eyes glassing over whenever they encounter the confounding nebulae of pesky speech bubbles? Last I heard, the comic book was a medium for storytelling, and Avellone is one of very few writers in his industry capable of producing an original story. I'll grant that comic books are collaborative, but there's a reason why writers and creators have more visibility and recognition: they're a heck of a lot more integral to the final product.

Looking forward to the book, and a bit annoyed I can't get a signed copy like a proper nerd.

A dull boy.

There are mountains and mountains of manureous writing out there, but good art is good art. Hard Boiled was a primitive ripoff of Blade runner but it still managed to be good. Once in a blue moon the two come together, but I'll settle for excellence in one or the other.

Yes, I know that's not a word.

I suppose I'm being rather unfair seeing as how I haven't seen the finished product. But... if it can't sell on it's own but has to be a deluxe collectors edition bonus, that could possibly tell one something.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I think Fallout Rage threads exist wherever Fallout Threads exist. :lol:

I still have "fond" memories of the weekend after Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel was announced back when I was still a mod for Interplay... :)

Dear god...

/hug/

hahaha! Well I knew the job was dangerous when I volunteered for it. But my that was...a very different weekend.

Still didn't really justify some of the stuff people did IMO - angry over the announcement or not.

It did answer the age old question of how quickly users could post animated gifs of FOBOS producer Chuck Cuevas having horrible things happen to him, though.

the hardcore fo community is, in our experience, one-o'-a-kind. no fans o' a game franchise is more inexplicably proprietary... no game fans we know has a similar sense o' entitlement. bg fans were disappointed by the announcement o' dark alliance. dark alliance ii announcement may have been received even more poorly, but the reactions weren't anything likes fo fan reactions to fobos. how many horrible d&d games has been made? didn't see the d&d fans (who has been 'round much longer and in greater numbers than fo fans) rise up en masse to complain every time a new d&d fighting game were announced. am also remembering how the fo fans reacted to the Violation of the Fallout Setting that were fallout: tactics. the fact that Chris Taylor, the lead designer o' the original fo were the guy violating the setting didn't blunt the attack by the faithful one bit. heck, am recalling the horrible trolling that went on by the Faithful when bethesda first opened up their fo3 boards.

is... odd.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Lots of other franchises have lots of similarly dedicated and angry fans. Just look at Star Trek or Star Wars fans, for example. I'm pretty sure there are lots of gaming examples too. Just look at the reactions of X-COM fans regarding the new X-COM game that has nothing to do with the original games.

Violation of the Fallout Setting that were fallout: tactics. the fact that Chris Taylor, the lead designer o' the original fo were the guy violating the setting didn't blunt the attack by the faithful one bit.

Taylor didn't have that much to do with the setting inconsistencies. Not only is he mostly a systems designer, not a writer (and most Fallout fans will tell you that the gameplay mechanics were pretty well designed), but most of the actual development was done by Microforte, an external company.

Edited by Ausir

oh come now, Gromnir has witnessed game developments involving both star wars and star trek. is nowhere near the frenzy we seen from fo fans. is maybe one or two freaks showing up on the kotor and kotor 2 boards (some guy offended by obsidian implementation o' the basilisk war droid were amusing) but such folks were nowhere near as vulgar and irate as were fo fans regarding mere announcement o' fo:bos and fo3. and your comments 'bout taylor is sorta silly. taylor were lead designer on fo and had significant input on fo:t. you thinks the average fan had more understanding o' the Spirit o' fallout than did a developer who worked on the project? josh, if our recollection were accurate, were pretty much limited to technical aspects o' combat mechanics for VB. no doubt josh input regarding VB is easily dismissed and surely less enlightened and educated than feedback from the nma and codexian hive mind.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Right, SW fans are on the other side of the spectrum and gobble up anything you put on their plate. :3

heck no. sw fans is wacky... but we were referencing games specific.

"the hardcore fo community is, in our experience, one-o'-a-kind. no fans o' a game franchise is more inexplicably proprietary... no game fans we know has a similar sense o' entitlement. "

there has been far more bad sw games than good, but sw fans not react to games with near the nuttiness and vitriol as does fo fans. is also worth noting the sheer number o' sw fans compared to fo fans. the existence o' sw crazies is expected given the reality that hardcore sw fans probable number in the millions. thus, the fact that fo produces a greater number o' game zealots than does sw is... odd.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

oh come now, Gromnir has witnessed game developments involving both star wars and star trek. is nowhere near the frenzy we seen from fo fans.

Not talking about games specifically, and it's no wonder that there's outrage at games since games are only a small part of both franchises (similarly, D&D computer games aren't as significant of a part of the franchise as a whole). Although I've seen plenty of outrage at e.g. the Bethesda-published Star Trek: Legacy. And as I said, the reactions to the new X-COM game are similar to the ones to Fallout 3. It happens in pretty much any franchise where one style is completely replaced by another.

your comments 'bout taylor is sorta silly. taylor were lead designer on fo and had significant input on fo:t. you thinks the average fan had more understanding o' the Spirit o' fallout than did a developer who worked on the project?

His input on FOT was not as significant as he'd want, as he himself said in some interviews, unfortunately (e.g. he asked them to make the looks of power armor etc. more retro, but they didn't). And unlike with FO1 and now FOOL, he did not work directly on the project (Microforte did), only supervised it to an extent on Interplay's part. He wasn't the one "violating the setting", you could at most say he wasn't effective enough at stopping others from doing it (then again, Herve wanted it out of the door as soon as possible, which meant there wasn't much time for major changes).

josh, if our recollection were accurate, were pretty much limited to technical aspects o' combat mechanics for VB. no doubt josh input regarding VB is easily dismissed and surely less enlightened and educated than feedback from the nma and codexian hive mind.

Nope, he wasn't limited to the technical aspects (although that was his main area of work). He e.g. designed New Canaan, and acted as lead designer after MCA's departure.

Edited by Ausir

I wonder if the lesser notoriety of Fallout contributes to that. In that the impression I often get is that Fallout fans feel... insecure (that's not the right word), and compensate for the relative lack of exposure their immaculate franchise receives in attempts to legitimize their franchises among others.

fair enough regarding josh post chrisA departure. nevertheless, such an observation does not diminish the initial point that you implied that taylor's knowledge and opinions were more easily dismissed 'cause he were limited to tech on fo. taylor carried same job description on fo as did josh regarding vb... post chrisA departure, and regardless, the notion that you would even suggest that a developer o' the original fo games would have diminished capacity to speak to the spirit o' fo is unfortunate and misguided.

btw, we saw comments from taylor (multiple places... including nma.) he sure didn't sound as dismissive or unrelated as you would paint him. gonna try and blame publisher arm twisting or something similar.

perhaps thorton has a point, but am not certain that a sorta internet napoleon complex is enough to explain.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

you implied that taylor's knowledge and opinions were more easily dismissed 'cause he were limited to tech on fo.

I'm not saying he was limited to tech on FO1 (far from it!), but I'm saying that his role on FOT was limited (just like the role of Bethesda's producers is on FNV - they have input, but they're not directly working on the game). I'm far from dismissing is work on FO1. I'm not saying that he has diminished capacity to speak on the spirit of Fallout, far from it. I'm saying that he was not responsible for the departures from the said spirit in FOT as much as you imply, since he was not directly involved in the creation of the game in most of its aspects, and his role was mostly supervisory over a company working on another continent, comparable to e.g. Jason Bergman's work on FNV. On FO1, of course, his role was the similar to Josh's role on FNV.

Edited by Ausir

you implied that taylor's knowledge and opinions were more easily dismissed 'cause he were limited to tech on fo.

I'm not saying he was limited to tech on FO, but I'm saying that his role on FOT was limited (just like the role of Bethesda's producers is on FNV - they have input, but they're not directly working on the game). I'm far from dismissing is work on FO1. I'm not saying that he has diminished capacity to speak on the spirit of Fallout, far from it. I'm saying that he was not responsible for the departures from the said spirit in FOT as much as you imply, since he was not directly involved in the creation of the game in most of its aspects, and his role was mostly supervisory.

a supervisory role is pretty darn significant.... just ask folks who has had to work on lucasarts games. also, as already noted, taylor's pre-release comments (some of which is still archived at nma) did not suggest a tangential or limited role... and he clear never expressed any serious concerns 'bout the direction o' the game. heck, his immediate post release comments were in defense o' the game.

*shrug*

and personally, we kinda liked the look o' the updated power armour. the entire robot section o' the game sucked, but the armour were hardly worth flaming.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir