Ubisoft Reports Losses..

Raithe

I'm pretty skeptical/don't think there's evidence to support suggestions that Ubisoft's losses are tied to their DRM policies.

I guess this means more Assassin's Creed & Prince of Persia crap, and no Beyond good & evil 2?

:shifty:

Assassin's Creed 2 was one of the best games of 2009 (IMO).

Considering you're a libertarian, I hope you didn't buy the PC version. :-

go liberty.

assassins creed 2 was awesome

drm sucks.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I would like to buy their games like Assassins Creed but I refuse to support any company with absurd DRM. Now they are feeling it where it really hurts $$$. Just do a simple disk check on their games and everyone will be happy.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

I just wish some publisher stood up and said:

"Pirates have enjoyed their hassle-free no-restrictions-whatsoever games for about enough! From now on, we will provide our customers with the same peace of mind. No DRM, no restrictions."

But of course that could be like saying "it's free, come get some!"

Or, it could be a perfectly reasonable and noble gesture... I don't know, I'm too sleepy to tell which...

"Save often!" -The Inquisitor

"Floss regularly!" -also The Inquisitor

The best DRM that I've have seen is the "release the PC version a week later"

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

... their DRM has nothing to do with their losses. Or at least it's very insubstantial.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

... their DRM has nothing to do with their losses. Or at least it's very insubstantial.

Maybe it has... just the other way around. I.e. their losses are making them desperate.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Personally, I was mostly being tongue-in-cheek when I mentioned the horror of their DRM as a reason for their losses. While I know a fair few people (and myself included) who didn't buy AC2 and the latest Splinter Cell purely because of that form of annoying DRM, I do doubt that there was a large majority of people boycotting the product. Especially since the pc game market isn't exactly as huge as the console versions these days...

But I do think that the general fuss about the DRM has had an effect on Ubisofts reputation, which can have all sorts of knock-on effects...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Maybe it has... just the other way around. I.e. their losses are making them desperate.

Considering how recent the newest DRM is, I don't see how it could have. If it has any results, they'll be seen later.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Considering how recent the newest DRM is, I don't see how it could have. If it has any results, they'll be seen later.

Uhh... :p

I meant bad results causes them to try new desperate measures, like their recent DRM scheme. I can't for the death of me see how that one is accomplishing anything other than alienating people from their corporate brand. Walks like a desperate company, quacks like a desperate company and all that.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

See, the world today doesn't work like that. Companies don't go "Here are our terms, take it or leave it", then consumers go "OK" or "no". Companies do market research. Companies do read (or have analysis firms read) forums like these. Companies do gauge responses. Perceptions of fair and unfair do matter in company image, the decisions companies make, etc; and of course those perceptions do change.

Exactly! Ubisoft DID do their research, and their research concluded that it was WORTH the "unfair" perception that SOME people would have. They didn't just randomly make this decision, which is what I've been saying.

Sure they may revise based upon feedback/backlash, but Ubisoft did not cluelessly decide to require internet connection without acknowledging that this will be a deal breaker for some people.

Now we got that out of the way, the rest is pretty much like Tigranes said. Businesses have to be fair if they want to "stay in the business". I'm the target audience, because I'm +1 customer. Yes, on my own I may be worth, say, $40 for that company? $50 maybe? But the more customers they shoo off with their DRM stick, thinking they're repelling pirates, the more this number grows. I'm not even going to talk about company image.

Simply being a potential customer, does not make you the target market. Do you think that people pulling in minimum wage are the target market for Rolex watches or BMWs? Ferrari doesn't look at Thorton_AP and go "how can we bring this car to him, because he's +1 customer." They say "We want to make expensive, exotic cars that only rich people can afford. They are our target market. People that cannot afford our automobiles are not.

Companies are rarely "fair." I don't know where people get this impression. Some companies don't offer their services to various regions. That's not "fair." Some companies require you to have a credit card (as that's the only method of payment). That's not "fair." Some companies require you to have a guarantor in order to do business. That's not "fair" either.

Reality and life are not fair. So I feel no sympathy to those (not saying you) that claim "not fair" because they aren't able to play a video game due to a DRM policy that does not work for them.

See, the world today doesn't work like that. Companies don't go "Here are our terms, take it or leave it", then consumers go "OK" or "no". Companies do market research. Companies do read (or have analysis firms read) forums like these. Companies do gauge responses. Perceptions of fair and unfair do matter in company image, the decisions companies make, etc; and of course those perceptions do change.

Exactly! Ubisoft DID do their research, and their research concluded that it was WORTH the "unfair" perception that SOME people would have. They didn't just randomly make this decision, which is what I've been saying.

Sure they may revise based upon feedback/backlash, but Ubisoft did not cluelessly decide to require internet connection without acknowledging that this will be a deal breaker for some people.

Of course they're not clueless, we're talking about millions of $$$ here. I'm not the CEO or whatever of a multi-million company myself, so I wouldn't know for sure exactly what they're thinking, as a company.

I'm a customer, and from a customer POV I'm not happy with their decision. That's all.

I'm the target audience, because I'm +1 customer. Yes, on my own I may be worth, say, $40 for that company? $50 maybe? But the more customers they shoo off with their DRM stick, thinking they're repelling pirates, the more this number grows. I'm not even going to talk about company image.

Simply being a potential customer, does not make you the target market. Do you think that people pulling in minimum wage are the target market for Rolex watches or BMWs? Ferrari doesn't look at Thorton_AP and go "how can we bring this car to him, because he's +1 customer." They say "We want to make expensive, exotic cars that only rich people can afford. They are our target market. People that cannot afford our automobiles are not.

See, you're missing the point again. I can afford games. I buy games, I play games; I'm a gamer. I even have an internet connection stable enough to let me kick a** in online multiplayer (although it still has it's share of problems sometimes).

My problem with their always-online-DRM is..... do I really need to repeat what's been said? In a nutshell, it's;

- Unnecessary (it's a single-player game)

- Unsuccesful (doesn't stop piracy)

- [insert a whole bunch of different personal reasons for everyone]

As if these weren't enough, our little conversation reminded me that it's also "arrogant" :shifty: (not required, but desired; the DirectX thing).

It's simple. Me customer. Me not like. I could care less about their financial status or company image, to be honest.

"Save often!" -The Inquisitor

"Floss regularly!" -also The Inquisitor

Now we got that out of the way, the rest is pretty much like Tigranes said. Businesses have to be fair if they want to "stay in the business". I'm the target audience, because I'm +1 customer. Yes, on my own I may be worth, say, $40 for that company? $50 maybe? But the more customers they shoo off with their DRM stick, thinking they're repelling pirates, the more this number grows. I'm not even going to talk about company image.

Companies are rarely "fair." I don't know where people get this impression. Some companies don't offer their services to various regions. That's not "fair." Some companies require you to have a credit card (as that's the only method of payment). That's not "fair." Some companies require you to have a guarantor in order to do business. That's not "fair" either.

Reality and life are not fair. So I feel no sympathy to those (not saying you) that claim "not fair" because they aren't able to play a video game due to a DRM policy that does not work for them.

Are you seriously comparing Ferrari to a PC game???

:sweat:

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

I'm sure that Ubisoft, at the board/management level, felt that they had enough research and analysis to back up their decision, that they thought it was a gamble worth taking. It'd be interesting to see what Ubisoft does over the next few months, because that will start to show whether investors/board felt the losses reported here were contributed to by the DRM. So right now, it's not clear yet whether, business-wise, they've made a good decision or not. Certainly I don't think it was a 'huge catastrophe', which is a pity.

On the whole fair thing, Thorton, way too black and white. Companies aren't "fair" in that pure white fair sense you mean, but they still have to pretend to be fair, they still have to play the game.

Ubisoft would already have become the new Iron Lore, without their huge sales on console. I wouldn't be surprised to see them stop developing for PC altogether - but hopefully not before BG&E 2.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Uhh... :rolleyes:

I meant bad results causes them to try new desperate measures, like their recent DRM scheme. I can't for the death of me see how that one is accomplishing anything other than alienating people from their corporate brand. Walks like a desperate company, quacks like a desperate company and all that.

I have no idea how I managed to completely misread you. Sorry about that, it's either frostbite or sunstroke, depending on the country I was in at the time (Finland or Greece) :)

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I remember the angry postings when some game companies started the one time online activation scheme and how it wasn't fair. Then more companies hopped on the wagon and it has pretty much become the norm for many AAA games. If other companies start to pick up the always online DRM I suspect the reaction to be the same and this DRM will seem much more fair when the next more intrusive DRM comes around. It takes one company to really step out and get the ball rolling -- now we just have to see if more companies follow suit and stick with it. EA did it with Command and Conquer 4 so I'm really intrigued to see if they'll implement it in any other titles too.

Blizzard is essentially doing the same thing as well but in a much smaller and more subtle way with the removal of LAN multiplayer support in Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 -- taking a feature that was once available offline and making it online only. Activision also tested something like this out by not including any dedicated servers for Modern Warfare 2 but they have since reversed their stance and will be including them in the next Call of Duty title.

After they rolled one time activation, i stopped preordering PC games altogether... Buying only after i read user reviews... I've gone from buying 10+ PC games/year down to 1-2... This year I only purchased Witcher EE...

I know about lot of PC games i missed few years ago and they were sold out pretty fast. For example, I missed Witcher EE, and was able to find UK version of the game jast two month ago on ebay for non-rip-off price... Same goes with the 1st Drakensang... English version of the game is nowhere to be found :sorcerer:

Edited by Mamoulian War