Civilization V

Starwars

But what about French Musketeers? :p

I dunno, I haven't fought the French yet. I do know my Samurai haven't met a city they can't take in two attacks.

According to the 2k games wiki on them, Musketeers are better. They're as much better than Samurai as Samurai are compared to regular Muskets.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Won my Oda Nobunaga game by conquest. Actually achieved the rank 1 score at the end, yay. Maybe I should turn up the difficulty at that point.

I'd been buddies with Rome most of the game and he'd been in a war with Persia and Egypt and winning. He knocked out Egypt and wore Persia down. I allied myself with every single city-state on the map the round I declared war. Two conquered cities later (including his capital), my peace offer included my war dec on persia because I figured he'd like that. Persia's two nearly dead pikemen ran screaming from a sole attack helicopter that took Persia's capital for the win.

Weird, can't really get hooked on this game.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I like the streamlining. No more accountant tasticness.

Is it just me or is the german special ability hilarious? I had a twenty strong army by the time we hit the middle ages. If we'd been on pangea then I'd have been able to conq everyone almost immediately.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Oh, I think it's fun. I'm just saying I'm seriously tempted to try it to win on high diff.

And thanks, Deraldin. You were right about renaming. ;)

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I like the streamlining. No more accountant tasticness.

What, sliders ? :p I wish they had left naval transports in, never really found them to be an enormous problem. As for racials, I think Suleiman's (sp?) is pretty garbage.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Well I'm finding that I am not gettinga ny burning urges to not miss out on Civ5, despite reading up a lot about it. Everyone seems to be having fun, though, so it's a bit weird.

Without playing, I think this probably explains my impressions quite well - though, even before V, the problem I always had with Civ was that you couldn't really play any game where you could look at the progress of your nation throughout the ages and build a coherent narrative out of that. Like you couldn't tell yourself the story of your civilisation after playing a random map Age of Empires or Starcraft game. key difference between this and Paradox games, I feel. Now I think it's just gotten a lot worse on that department, and that probably hurts Civ V's longevity shoudl I get it.

the problem I always had with Civ was that you couldn't really play any game where you could look at the progress of your nation throughout the ages and build a coherent narrative out of that.

Sums up my own thoughts pretty well. Although I've only ever played the original Civilization (no roman numeral). Maybe I'm just the unforgiving kind :p

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I'm just not finding this one to be.. addictive. I'm managing to play an hour here.. an hour there.. but I haven't been pulled into some marathon session where I look up and go "crap.. its 7 hours later.."

It's nice.. it's pleasant.. but something feels missing.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

My experience is same as Raithe's. It's nice and all, but doesn't really draw me in. Now that it started freezing so bad that I had to hit the reset button, I had no problem putting it down and playing something else to wait and see if it will be better after a few patches.

SODOFF Steam group.

I think it's much better than the previous games. There are one or two things that I would want back from Civ IV but the improvements faaaar outweigh the positives. This is the first Civ where I actually feel like it'd be a real chore to play any of the older ones in comparison.

Hopefully we'll see some good support for the game.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

What's a way to consistently make lots of money without relying on golden ages and plundering?

I tend to resource-grab, making sprawling empires. I'm guessing it's road and unit maintenance that's getting me down :lol: Also towards the end when there's nothing else to build and I spend it on units, maintenance keeps increasing :(

Spreading beauty with my katana.

Doing a Bollywood game now. Archipeligo, huge.

I have score victory turned off, as well as science victory, I'm uncertain about domination victory. Nobody has ever declared war on me. A few wars have been declared amongst the others and they all seem important. And they all want to drag me into them. Probably because I'm the only financially stable civ.

I started off on probably the largest set of islands. Which are technically the same island since they're all connected by one tile choke points. I blocked off a 3 tile choke point so nobody got close to me until the 1800s when my neighbor founded a city so close that it moved my guys back. The entire world has declared on him, so I should be safe. Heck the bottom half of my part of the island is the only unsettled land left, I'm not settling it though because of Bollywood conditions.

I have more strategic resources than anyone else, like 40+ coal and horses. Nobody actually uses horses, but it's useful to trade. I use them to bribe people at war with my city-states.

It froze up on me last night so I didn't complete the game yet.

Edited by Tale

Atreides:

Really not much to say except, well... Keep the units on manageable level. There is a good overview for your units if you press F3 (I think). Keep a close call on how many workers you have and if you really need them.

For roads, make sure you don't build the "webs" of roads that one tended to do in older games. Connect things so you set up the trade routes, but there shouldn't be much more than that unless you have a specific route that you travel a lot and really need to get across fast (like if you're in a war and need to ship out units fast).

Keep an eye on buildings you build and their maintenance costs and balance it out with buildings that increase cash flow. Also, be sure to try and trade resources you don't need as you can get good gold from trading occasionally.

Edited by Starwars

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I won by domination last night. I was a little bummed, I was headed towards a space race victory. But Napoleon kept ticking me off, so I marched over him and he was the only guy with a decent amount of land.

Ah well, time to up the difficulty. I think I'm also going to try for a small country with good defense and a lot of culture next game.

I also build a stupid amount of trading posts too.

Works wonders if you've got some maritime city-states as allied.

the problem I always had with Civ was that you couldn't really play any game where you could look at the progress of your nation throughout the ages and build a coherent narrative out of that.

Sums up my own thoughts pretty well. Although I've only ever played the original Civilization (no roman numeral). Maybe I'm just the unforgiving kind :lol:

You both should try Elemental War of Magic.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

i have now played a science victory game with the iroquois (sp?)

and a domination victory game with japan. I enjoyed the domination game much more. It ended with a fierce campaign against napoleon, his musketeers beating my samurai, so i upgraded to riflemen which were stalemating, but a few more turns and I had infantry and then the tide began to turn. it helped that I had a huge gold generating empire, enough to buy a new unit each turn and throw it into battle.

eventually i wore him down, but i probably had to chew threw about 15 units of musketeers first. once they were all dead then i just rolled over his entire empire.

the next biggest threat was russian swordsmen. I wiped them out in 3 turns.

game.set.match.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.