Mass Effect 2

Gorth

It just kinda struck me what a huge deal the romances are for Biowares games. Prior to both DA release and this, the discussions regarding who you can romance and who you can't are really active. A few games ago I would've dismissed the "romancers" as a pretty small group but just seeing all the discussions everywhere... You really get a sense that it's a big deal.

As for the game, I dunno. I thought ME failed in A) providing good action RPG gameplay and B) providing an interesting story to follow. I do know that they were aiming for a sort of mainstream-ish, blockbuster sci-fi type of deal but I just feel it was incredibly flat.

Hope ME2 can improve the formula in some way. The characters seem to be a bit more interesting at least. I also hope they have created more interesting areas to explore.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I think most people here are talking about sex, for the lack of a better topic. No one's actually interested in "romance" , and its amusing to speculate who gets to bang who. Its more or less the only unknown info about ME2 :p

As long as it stops taking itself so seriously it will probably be a much more immersive game. I was expecting the "epic" with the first one, and it was underwhelming to say the least.

Now I'm expecting a comic book style approach of pure fun and instant oblivion upon completion. You can't go any lower than that, but since even fun games are hard to come by today complaining serves no purpose.

I suppose this is worse in a way because when I was ranting about Bioware, I did it expecting they would, eventually, consider making games of BGII calibre again. Now that its obvious they're going to persist with the EA way of doing things, and focus on their IP's (which are pedestrian and shallow to me) - I'm just along for the fun part of the ride.

Edited by RPGmasterBoo

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

"consider making games of BGII calibre again."

You want them to purposefully make worst RPGs then they do? Wow. I want to see them improve with every outing not regress to semi functional morons like Minsc or to characters where the only worthwhile things about them is sexchange jokes.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

You can persist in those arguments until the universe kicks the bucket, but the fact of the matter is they've never made a better game than Baldurs Gate II.

All that claptrap about C&C's, "deep" characters, more "RPG" options and whatnot does not disguise the fact that while they have in fact improved some things over BGII, the overall quality and polish has never been reached.

Even that PoS Metacritic shows it, when now, almost 10 years later BGII is still the 6th best game ever made. And that was back in the day when positive reviews weren't handed out like candy.

Recent Bioware efforts: Mass Effect 98. Dragon Age 63.

Respectable, but not nearly as high.

Not to mention that BGII is in GoG's top ten list of most demanded games. Why does anyone want to play it now if its Biowares "worst"?

Edited by RPGmasterBoo

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

You can persist in those arguments until the universe kicks the bucket, but the fact of the matter is they've never made a better game than Baldurs Gate II.

All that claptrap about C&C's, "deep" characters, more "RPG" options and whatnot does not disguise the fact that while they have in fact improved some things over BGII, the overall quality and polish has never been reached.

Even that PoS Metacritic shows it, when now, 10 years later BGII is still the 6th best game ever made. And that was back in the day when positive reviews weren't handed out like candy.

Recent Bioware efforts: Mass Effect 98. Dragon Age 63.

Respectable, but not nearly as high.

Dear God, you just started arguing with Volo by using facts. Do you have any idea what you've done? This thread is doomed.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

As for the game, I dunno. I thought ME failed in A) providing good action RPG gameplay and B) providing an interesting story to follow. I do know that they were aiming for a sort of mainstream-ish, blockbuster sci-fi type of deal but I just feel it was incredibly flat.

I think they pretty much succeeded in mimicking the storyline and writing style of an effects-driven blockbuster sci-fi film. I just don't particularly enjoy that kind of movie.

Still, I doubt I'll regret buying ME2. If the gameplay and interface improvements deliver as promised (yay for not spending 20 minutes after each mission distrubuting marginal equipment upgrades to my team and selling the rest off!), the game should be enjoyable enough to keep me playing. And, based on Bio's past success rate, 2 or 3 of the 10 companions should be interesting to chat with for awhile.

I do fear that they've gone overboard on the fan-service, though. Besides the hawt baybz fighting over Shep's man-meat, from the dribs and drabs of spoilers that have surfaced on the BioBoards before mods can lock them, it seems like every minor ME1 character who the Bio-forumites have ever made lame jokes about gets to come back for a turn in the spotlight in the sequel.

Im really happy for you Boo an imma let you finish.. but this glorification of BG2 through the old rose-coloured glasses of memory is just plain stupid and I do think a bit insulting for BioWare developers. It was fun at the time, but the gameplay was mediocre, the story was just clich

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Always seems character growth is finding out about their tortured past :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Always seems character growth is finding out about their tortured past :p

A concept frankly ripped from Planescape Torment. The occasional BGII character had a sad story, (Aerie etc.) but they didn't sledgehammer your brain with it. Well Aerie did, but then you could always fireball her and be done with it.

Edited by RPGmasterBoo

logosig2.jpg

I'm pretty sure Dragon Age was Bioware's attempt to recapture the magic of BGII. I was happy with it, but if it didn't do it for you, then it might be time to retire from video games.

Keep hanging out here though Boo, you've grown on me :p

I'm still holding a self imposed embargo on playing DA. From what I gather its the gameplay of BGII without the story. One out of two ain't bad, thus I'm not complaining.

I'm partially retired already and I get no pension at all. A free GoG game a month would be nice... xD

Aww :p

logosig2.jpg

Hah, that's something- like DA or give up on gaming (mind you I've almost done that now, not many of these AAA IPs interest me that much). :p Bioware's in Blizzard territory now, so brace yourself. :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

" better game than Baldurs Gate II. "

It's called NWN.

"Even that PoS Metacritic shows it, when now, almost 10 years later BGII is still the 6th best game ever made. And that was back in the day when positive reviews weren't handed out like candy."

Wait. Are you 8seriously* using something you call a 'POS' as your prove? That's silly. That's like me claiming Fox News is a garbage news station then using them as evidence for something. It's illogica.

btw, 'Professional reviews' are meaningless - espicially when it comes to scores. And, you agree. Unless, you are gonna admit that games like ME, JE,a nd DA are awesome just because the professional reviewers say so.

So... which is it? Are they legit sources for 'fact' or are they 'POS'? L0LZ try not have it both ways for when its convinient.

"The only insult to the Bioware devs are those drooling fanboys on the forum, who are consistent in only two things:

1. swelling the egos of the Bio devs, by unconditionally praising everything they make

2. driving away anyone who tries to offer even moderate criticism"

I agree. Those who still try to claim that BG2 is their best game is unconditionally praising an overrated game that is past its prime and should be shot in the head. It's oveflated like praise that makes me hate BG2 more every day. It was fun to play 10 years ago. But, if it was released now, it would not be so highly praised. The writing is simpler, the combat is dumbed down basic D&D, the characters are mostly just one note with no room for change, lacks real C&C, and doesn't even have non combat skills. Sorry, but if a game's most popular character is a loser like Minsc, it auto loses 10 points.

"2. driving away anyone who tries to offer even moderate criticism"

You want moderate criticism? Read my review of the NWN OC. You want moderate criticism? read Saint Proverbius' review of the NWN OC. And, oh if you wondering, that guy LOATHES BIO. And, he comes off more unbiased and full of himself than you.

You don't do moderate criticism. None of your criticisms are moderate. It's always 'x BIO game sucks horribly 'cause it's not Bg and doesn't have boo in it which is best game ever lalala and everyone who disagrees is retarded'.

As ford rooling fanboys.. the worstd rooling fanboys are the ones who bash things yet still intend to buy them.

People who buy thuings they think is crap simply because x company made them are the real drooling fanboys.

I buy games from *any* company I beleive I'll enjoy. That's smart consumerism.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

A concept frankly ripped from Planescape Torment. The occasional BGII character had a sad story, (Aerie etc.) but they didn't sledgehammer your brain with it. Well Aerie did, but then you could always fireball her and be done with it.

You got to hand it to Bioware about creating whiny characters. I don't think I've ever hated a character for being whiny so much as Aerie. 'I had these wonderful wings and now I have to move about like you pitiful ground walkers... I'm going to go throw myself off a bridge!' :p

Dragon Age is superior to both BG2 and NWN1 in every single way. First it gets away from the lame DnD rules of 2e and 3e. The voice acting is top notch, superior to Mass Effect in that regard. It also has a great musical score and story to boot. The Baldur's Gate series pales in comparison. NWN1 isn't even a spec on Morrigan's nipple.

Edited by Killian Kalthorne

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

" better game than Baldurs Gate II. "

It's called NWN.

Unless, you are gonna admit that games like ME, JE,a nd DA are awesome just because the professional reviewers say so.

They also say they're worse than BGII, or so their scores show. Metacritic is not proof of anything, but it shows clearly that no game Bio made after BGII has had as wide a critical acclaim, amongst professional reviewers.

But, if it was released now, it would not be so highly praised.

If it was released now, with DA's production values it would still blow everything out of the water, including DA.

Because no one cares about C&C's or "deep" characters, what people care about is meaningful and immersive gameplay. You could spend days doing trivial things in Athkatla, and still have the feeling you haven't seen half of it. You could spend 150 hours playing the game and still wish to replay it. Many have done so, several times over.

Those who still try to claim that BG2 is their best game is unconditionally praising an overrated game that is past its prime

If its past its prime why are there 6557 votes on GoG to release the digital version of the game?

Why would anybody want to play an overrated game past its prime, a decade later, let alone several thousand people?

NWN has 350 votes. KOTOR 400. Jade Empire 124.

A mere pittance in comparison.

As far as you and moderation, that doesn't seem to belong in the same sentence. If I'm biased, you're a whole new category.

Jaded because someone can still enjoy a game you can't anymore. And you rant on and on about it, substituting a game (NWN) which most people would prefer to forget ever existed.

Edited by RPGmasterBoo

logosig2.jpg

If BG2 was released today I think that it would sell worse than Icewind Dale 2. Not even being ported to the XBox 360 and PS3 would save it. Also 2e rules system sucked.

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."