Dragon Age discussion

Gorth

But first of all, what the hell happened to Alistair when i did *that* decision at the landsmeet? Talk about being out of character, sodd him and his whiny ass and the writer who came up with that "solution". Same with Morrigan and her "solution" at the fireplace in the end, talk about being in an awkward position.

Yep. You touched on the two biggest WTF moments that really, really rankled me. I still loved the game, but damn. Those were two really crappy "design decisions". I not only hated them, I actually resented them.

When I finished my latest game, I sacrificed myself because that cad Alistair dumped me when he became king. Grrrr. Elitist cur. So I died just to be contrary... and because I wanted all my companions to file past my good-looking corpse to say nice things about me. But... but... Alistair just gave this windy speech... calling me his "friend" which made me want to leap out of my coffin and scratch his eyes out... and nobody else said a damned thing! They were all at 100% with me... and they couldn't find a couple of nice parting words?? From now on, Alistair dies. Oh, yes. He will always die. Bwahahaha!

*Mumbles something about "Hell has no fury like a woman scorned"*

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

But first of all, what the hell happened to Alistair when i did *that* decision at the landsmeet? Talk about being out of character, sodd him and his whiny ass and the writer who came up with that "solution". Same with Morrigan and her "solution" at the fireplace in the end, talk about being in an awkward position.

Yep. You touched on the two biggest WTF moments that really, really rankled me. I still loved the game, but damn. Those were two really crappy "design decisions". I not only hated them, I actually resented them.

When I finished my latest game, I sacrificed myself because that cad Alistair dumped me when he became king. Grrrr. Elitist cur. So I died just to be contrary... and because I wanted all my companions to file past my good-looking corpse to say nice things about me. But... but... Alistair just gave this windy speech... calling me his "friend" which made me want to leap out of my coffin and scratch his eyes out... and nobody else said a damned thing! They were all at 100% with me... and they couldn't find a couple of nice parting words?? From now on, Alistair dies. Oh, yes. He will always die. Bwahahaha!

Hahaha, oh man, now THAT was a sucky ending :)

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

That's good sales, certainly well enough for Bio to stick to their current approach (one cinematic-storyteller franchise, one 'traditional' RPG franchise). Good news. =]

ME3 it due to be released in 2011 as well.

Nah we won't see ME3 to 2012.

BioWare announced that Dragon Age: Origins sold-in over 3.2 million units worldwide

So if those numbers are correct, it means DA would of sold about 1 mil on PC, not bad, but I bet Bio/EA were hoping for more.

Edited by Bos_hybrid
cylon_basestar_eye.gif

I reacted somewhat similar. Honestly first time I got to the Landsmeet and found out Alistair dumped my city elf if I made him king and seemed to resent me when I supported the Queen I dropped the game for about a week and when I returned I started over from scratch. I was so mad at him after that that on my dwarf I ended up with -100 influence with him and then at the Landsmeet I spared Loghain, supported the queen and told her to go ahead and execute him after as revenge. Since then I given him a second chance on my human noble once since they can have a happy ending of a sort but honestly I'm still mad at that character for how he treated my elf.

For all his talk about honor and the like Alistair is quite a jerk and being able to get him killed is the only reason I find sparing Loghain a more appealing path in the end.

Edited by zazei

That's good sales, certainly well enough for Bio to stick to their current approach (one cinematic-storyteller franchise, one 'traditional' RPG franchise). Good news. :nuke:
You mean two cinematic-storyteller franchises, but one has longer dungeons.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

"but I bet Bio/EA were hoping for more. "

O RLY? IF they were, they're morons. BIO's RPGs tend to sale between 2.5 and 3mil copies (JE is the exception selling likely between 1.5-2mil) so if they were expecting DA to sell more than 3.2 copies, they're on crack. Why do BIO fanboys on these boards assume that BIO is on the level of the Maddens, Call of Dutys, and Sims? It does not make sense. BIO is NOT a first tier company when it comes to sales. Never have beenm, probably never will be.

Plus, I think the 3.2 copies is what's been shipped not sold. Still, if even remotely true, DA is by far BIO's most successful game sales wise since 3.2 inunder 4 months is pretty darn good.

As for people saying BIo can't gte a asequel out when it looks to eb scheduled. First, we don't really know if it's a full squel. Second, BIO has 300 + employees (not counting the MMORPG division) plus EA's help. Plus, wasn't DA pretty much done well before its release? Cahnces are they were starting to work on the sequel (if any) about the same time they started work on the expansion. Then there's the fact that the engine work is done as well. so it's just about content. *shrug* Only EA, and BIO know if they have enough time.

Grats to BIO!

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Playing it now. First impressions to come...

Oh gawd brace yourself!

Indeed.

Well I've come to the point the map opens up (got Morrigan).

Fist impression is positive as I expected (it tends to be with BIO games). I'm playing as a human, male, mage. Not going to go into storyline and characters just yet, because I haven't seen enough.

As for the technical stuff, here goes.

The graphics: by comparison with other titles that have come out recently, the gfx of Dragon Age are practically obsolete. Textures are low res, and objects are kept as simple as possible. It resembles an updated and better optimized NWN2. Obviously with all the talking you have to go through the characters are rendered much better than everything else. That said, given DA's scope and the way games are made today it would be unfair to expect DA to push any graphical boundaries. So I don't. Clever use of lighting makes the graphics seem less dated. The graphical design is functional but have to see more before I make up my mind. I liked Ostragar a lot, it was obviously built to impress - even though its essentially very small. The rest was generic fantasy fare but done pretty well. The animation is fluid enough to work.

The sound: the music is a hit and miss affair. Some of the stuff that plays in combat is pretty good, while the rest is unremarkable. The choir that plays in the menu screen is pleasant. I'm impressed by the sound effects. Ambient noises, spells etc. are all done very well and help with immersion.

The voice overs are passably though everyone has a strange english accent and sounds as if they're talking through their nose. Its a bit irritating, but I can live with it.

The gameplay. Obviously this is supposed to be done in the spirit of Baldur's Gate. As the resident BG guru I can say its for the most part done well.

Unlike Mass Effect and other such... games... where you're essentially playing two separate games stitched together with 3 minigames and at the end of the day have little to no feel for the world as a whole, DA is fluid. You talk, fight and otherwise interact in one world and the immersion is much quicker. That said, it seems to me that DA uses the NWN scheme of things where there is no central hub, but rather a multitude of small or medium locations. I think this is inferior to having one enormous city and several medium areas, because it turns each one of them into an emptyish location with a few quests and that you have no reason to return to when you're done.

Combat. Combat is the best part of the game so far, and its essentially Baldurs Gate with updated graphics. It has some advantages over BG in terms of how fighters operate - more skills for them and abilities to use = more tactics. Mages on the other hand are inferior. The flavor that BG's spells had is replaced by a WoW sort of mana fuelled magic. First of all this eliminates the strategical options when preparing spells. Everything is available at all times, and that part of strategy is lost. At least, the tactical options are available and available immediately. You don't have to wait for your wimp of a mage to grow in power - he's an asset from the get go. In fact they may be a bit overpowered, with my magic I'm already doing more damage than everyone else put together.

Only 4 characters is somewhat restrictive however, and since you more or less have to dedicate a mage, two fighters and a rogue it limits your options somewhat, and needlessly erases enjoyable micro managment in combat. Plus, the game can't really throw insanely difficult enemies at you if you're limited to so few characters.

Other things of note:

-Difficulty. Very nice on normal, a refreshing change from dumb alley that we had from KOTOR onwards.

-Inventory. I'm starting to hate list based inventories with a passion. I've a 22" screen and I want a frakking grid. On the other hand, its a collective inventory which removes some of the hassle.

-NWN item spam. An irritating habit, the game gives too many items too easily and magical items abound - they shouldnt.

-Lack of alignment. I like it, removes worry over alignment shifts and such.

-The codex. First time I find myself remotely interested in a Bioware IP. What I've seen so far is generic fantasy stuff, but it is quite cohesive.

Overall: the "technical" pieces for a 90%+ game are there, but the main quest, side quests and characters are always more important. So I've yet to make my mind up over it.

Edited by RPGmasterBoo

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

BG guru? Aren't these forums filled with people who've replayed the BGs a bunch of times? I know I'm one of them.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

"NWN item spam. An irritating habit, the game gives too many items too easily and magical items abound - they shouldnt."

Eh. Just like the BG games. Just like any fantasy game with magic. There will always be ph@t lewt.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Only 4 characters is somewhat restrictive however, and since you more or less have to dedicate a mage, two fighters and a rogue it limits your options somewhat, and needlessly erases enjoyable micro managment in combat. Plus, the game can't really throw insanely difficult enemies at you if you're limited to so few characters.

You really don't need two fighters. Or a rogue (at least not for the fighting, and the rest you can take care of once you've cleared a location, with a few exceptions). And while I wouldn't, I'm pretty sure there are people who've gone through without a mage as well.

I went with a rogue, a tank (more specifically a Shale) and two mages my first time around and that was very nice for most encounters. I've heard the most powerful party is a tank and three mages. So there is some variety to how you set up your party.

And the game can, and does, throw some seriously hard fights your way, especially if you play on nightmare. True, most encounters aren't that bad. but there a re a few that are really hard (and fun, except those damn wolves. They're never fun).

That item spam thing is the reason I absolutely love the ME2 system.

Graphically, I believe DA looks a bit obsolete because of the extended development cycle. It's just a guess, but I bet DA2 will look a lot cleaner. That's what seems to have happened with ME to ME2.

You really don't need two fighters. Or a rogue (at least not for the fighting, and the rest you can take care of once you've cleared a location, with a few exceptions). And while I wouldn't, I'm pretty sure there are people who've gone through without a mage as well.

I went with a rogue, a tank (more specifically a Shale) and two mages my first time around and that was very nice for most encounters. I've heard the most powerful party is a tank and three mages. So there is some variety to how you set up your party.

And the game can, and does, throw some seriously hard fights your way, especially if you play on nightmare. True, most encounters aren't that bad. but there a re a few that are really hard (and fun, except those damn wolves. They're never fun).

I was saying, 6 characters = more tactical options than 4 and more space for devs to include harder encounters. And more nice combat micro.

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

DA2 scheduled for Spring 2011, according to EA.

Bio's becoming a Super Factory!

Boo, that's true, but in something like DA where some players will use third person view and leave it all up to the AI 6 party would have been crazy.

I reacted somewhat similar. Honestly first time I got to the Landsmeet and found out Alistair dumped my city elf if I made him king and seemed to resent me when I supported the Queen I dropped the game for about a week and when I returned I started over from scratch. I was so mad at him after that that on my dwarf I ended up with -100 influence with him and then at the Landsmeet I spared Loghain, supported the queen and told her to go ahead and execute him after as revenge. Since then I given him a second chance on my human noble once since they can have a happy ending of a sort but honestly I'm still mad at that character for how he treated my elf.

For all his talk about honor and the like Alistair is quite a jerk and being able to get him killed is the only reason I find sparing Loghain a more appealing path in the end.

Yeah, I was mad as hell. Racist jerk. From now on, I'm going to get Alistair to adore me, then dump his royal ass and go for Zevran. At least he's honest about himself. I'm going to take a save right at Landsmeet, and replay it a dozen times to find all the ways Alistair can be destroyed. Indeed, a city elf able to destroy an entire castle of nobles for her friend's honor is not the best choice to exploit and dump, I reckon. Oh, and when he asks Wynne to darn his clothes, I'm going to have her sew his fly shut. I gave that guy the best 80 hours of my life. He's gonna pay. Oh, yes. He's gonna pay big. :rolleyes: