Dragon Age discussion

Gorth

*personally* I liked the fact he will dump you, if you are not a human. It fits, and it's not the whole OMG! happy shiny I love you know matter who you are! crap.

It gives a very good reason to side with Logain, after that racist bastard dumps you. :sorcerer:

BG guru? Aren't these forums filled with people who've replayed the BGs a bunch of times? I know I'm one of them.

And at that point of the post I started laughing and moved on. :sorcerer:

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

BG guru? Aren't these forums filled with people who've replayed the BGs a bunch of times? I know I'm one of them.

And at that point of the post I started laughing and moved on. :lol:

Jeez, it was a joke :sorcerer:

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

That's nuts how fast they're (BioWare) churning out games.

On one hand as an impatient gamer, I kind of like it. On the other hand, it could lead to rushed releases. :ermm:

Bioware makes that up with numbers.

They're now not a game studio anymore, they're an EA facility.

Hating on Bio because they consistently produce quality RPGs (unlike most RPG studios) consistently on time (unlike most RPG studios)? Come on Morgoth, you can do better than that. Unless you'd much rather that they produce buggy rpgs and/or titles are delayed beyond their official release date (Hello Obsidian?).

Bio > Black Isle > Obsidian (so far) > Troika

manthing2.jpg

On one hand as an impatient gamer, I kind of like it. On the other hand, it could lead to rushed releases. :ermm:

Considering the amount of studios they have at the moment (4, right?), and having at least 2 teams at the Edmonton studio, with just one MMORPG and 2 current franchises, I don't even think it's that fast. Seems a bit quick for DAO, tbh, but I'm pretty sure they want to get the third ME out sooner rather than later, as they don't want to hit the twilight of the current gen consoles.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Hating on Bio because they consistently produce quality RPGs (unlike most RPG studios) consistently on time (unlike most RPG studios)? Come on Morgoth, you can do better than that. Unless you'd much rather that they produce buggy rpgs and/or titles are delayed beyond their official release date (Hello Obsidian?).

Sorry, but from DA to DA2 (or whatever it will be called), there's only like 1,5 years of dev time.

This reeks.

Bioware has a tradition to take about 3-4 years per game. So either they have the numbers to compensate that, or they're pressured from "above" to churn out sequels so fast.

How big is Bio these days anyway? Someone has numbers about the Edmonton, Montreal and Austin studios?

Sorry, but from DA to DA2 (or whatever it will be called), there's only like 1,5 years of dev time.

This reeks.

Bioware has a tradition to take about 3-4 years per game. So either they have the numbers to compensate that, or they're pressured from "above" to churn out sequels so fast.

How big is Bio these days anyway? Someone has numbers about the Edmonton, Montreal and Austin studios?

Not sure about Bio size. Volo or Alanschu (does he still exist?) will probably know.

Sure, the accelerated dev time is no doubt due to increased numbers and/or pressure. But if the end-product quality is equal or better, who really cares?

Edited by jaguars4ever
manthing2.jpg

Then again, Bio spent a long time on crafting DA.. they've obviously put a lot of effort into this whole "original ip" for Bioware.. maybe part of that was laying a lot of the groundwork to follow on with sequels and related games set in the same fantasy universe...

Which would cut down on the "usual" time frame for producing a game. :ermm:

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

This reeks.

another option other than vast numbers of available man-hours or ea pressure: the biowarians were working on sequel simultaneous to working on da. peter jackson were considered alternatively delusional and visionary as he filmed all three lotr films simultaneous... assuming success rather than waiting for returns from fellowship of the ring. is any reason why bio couldn't do same thing with dragon age? who is to say that the biowarians ain't been working on the da sequel for a couple of years already? such an approach requires considerable planning, and it does mean that the biowarians is somewhat locked into doing da sequel according to their Big Picture plan... feedback from da will not be able to be much incorporated into game development beyond mechanics changes as sequel may already be very deep into development.

*shrug*

is pure conjecture on Gromnir's part, but we can see how a sequel might take only 1.5 years. also, as a point of reference, keep in mind that bg2 were released in september o' 2000. bg1 were released in late 1998, and bio released an expansion in-between bg1 and bg2.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Kind of like the amount of time from Baldur's Gate to Baldur's Gate 2.

Few of BioWare's games have "3-4 years of development time." In fact, the only one I can really think of that took that long is probably Dragon Age.

Edited by alanschu

"is pure conjecture on Gromnir's part, but we can see how a sequel might take only 1.5 years. also, as a point of reference, keep in mind that bg2 were released in september o' 2000. bg1 were released in late 1998, and bio released an expansion in-between bg1 and bg2. "

GAME OVER, dudes, GAME OVER.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Eh, the fade was actually one of the more relaxing parts.

Just wait when you get into the Deep Roads. ;(

Deep Roads is fun if compared to the Fade part of Circle of Magi. If you get bored of Deep Roads at least you can go do something else, you're just stuck in the Circle tower until you finish it.

Hate the living, love the dead.

I'm a bit surprised at the WTF? quotient here with regards to the development time for DA2.

The (proprietary) engine is done. Game mechanics and setting? Done.

Surely it's about polishing / turbo-charging the existing engine and adding features, it seems to me to be a perfectly reasonable timescale, even with localisation and marketing etc.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Hey, they promised better graphics for DA2. Yay!

//EDIT: Hopefully that will include fixing the facial animations. For example, when Leliana sang at the campfire (bad song aside, couldn't they just have done some folk-music?), it looked more like that she desperately needed to take a dump rather than singing.

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Kind of like the amount of time from Baldur's Gate to Baldur's Gate 2.

Few of BioWare's games have "3-4 years of development time." In fact, the only one I can really think of that took that long is probably Dragon Age.

ok, keep in mind that 1.5 does not shock Gromnir, but for a guy working with/at bio to make such a statement is... perplexing. nwn required approx 5 years, and da made 4 years disappear, no? star wars: the old republic is a mmorpg, but that game has seemingly been in development forEvar. can quibble and say that nwn took More than 3-4 years and that star wars ain't been released yet, so... still seems dishonest.

gap between mass effect 1 and 2 were slight in excess of 2 years... though if some folks not look at actual dates of release, it might seem like 3 (late 2007 release for me1 and january 2010 release for me2.) virtual all other bio games we can recall seemingly gots the 2-ish year time period of development: jade empire, kotor, mass effect.

*shrug*

if da2 and me3 is released in first half of 2011 we will not be shocked, but we can understand why some folks will be surprised.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)