Dragon Age Discussion

CoM_Solaufein

DA DLC has generated over $1 million for EA since the DA launch. Also EA stated DA has a lifespan of 1 year. Interesting comment. Does that mean all support for DA ends, not just making new DLC, a year from now? Since EA owns Bioware I think that days of supporting 3 or 4 yr old games (NWN1 comes to mind) with patches and updates may be over.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/36506/Dragon-Age...rates-1-million

Edited by TheHarlequin

World of Darkness News

http://www.wodnews.net

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

DA DLC has generated over $1 million for EA since the DA launch. Also EA stated DA has a lifespan of 1 year. Interesting comment. Does that mean all support for DA ends, not just making new DLC, a year from now? Since EA owns Bioware I think that days of supporting 3 or 4 yr old games (NWN1 comes to mind) with patches and updates may be over.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/36506/Dragon-Age...rates-1-million

Read your link again. It doesn

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Huh? I took him down on Hard with my warrior in no form and still had half my HP left when I got done. He was a piece of cake compared to the one in the Tower of Ishakal.
Truth be told, I applied common-sensium and didn't try to tackle them without golem form.

I tacked the bosses with my no-form warrior as well. I was only playing that section on easy, but after playing through again on normal with my mage I'm pretty sure it would have been easier without the forms on normal as well. Despite what Gromnir said about having to use the forms abilities properly, I never got the hang of them in that fight. Quake was fairly easy because it had a short enough activation time that it could be used to interrupt. The other two however require pure dumb luck to stop an attack because they take longer to activate.

I suppose if you switched back to your normal form before/just after getting hit by the special attacks you could get up faster and then switch forms once you're up, but I never tried that. Having immunity to those damn chained knockdown attacks was very useful.

Confused about Leliana. I bedded morg and when she started getting all psycho on me dumped her for Leliana. I got lil to 100 rated labeled as 'love'. She has not made a move on my pc and won't let me make a move on her. soooo... is morg the easy girl and Leliana the overly hard to get girl? I am just confused as to the point so far of a 'romance' with Leliana. At least with morg if I wanted to get involved with her drama the relationship was clearly going somewhere at least. Seems im 'dating' a nun with Leliana. Does anything happen down the road?

I think doing her companion quest is mandatory for something to happen.

You mean with her former guild leader. We confronted her. I decided to let her go. I am thinking I prob should have killed her...?

World of Darkness News

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

^ Hmmm, you release a toolset, you create organic support. It's smart. Games companies know this. Bioware OTOH support their games more or less ad infinitum, I can still get BG2 patches there.

What I think the EA suit is saying is the 12 month premium sale lifespan (i.e. GotY, DA Gold and other iterations).

If an industry pro would correct me if I'm wrong I'd be obliged. Then again, this is EA so I take your point. Personally, I'm feeling quite good about the modding that is likely to come out of this game, I'll be playing it for more than the next twelve months and would buy extra DLC if it was substantial.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

You mean with her former guild leader. We confronted her. I decided to let her go. I am thinking I prob should have killed her...?

You let someone, who is most likely going to come back and try to kill you again, GO? Have you learned nothing from games? NOTHING?

Edited by Purkake

Confused about Leliana. I bedded morg and when she started getting all psycho on me dumped her for Leliana. I got lil to 100 rated labeled as 'love'. She has not made a move on my pc and won't let me make a move on her. soooo... is morg the easy girl and Leliana the overly hard to get girl? I am just confused as to the point so far of a 'romance' with Leliana. At least with morg if I wanted to get involved with her drama the relationship was clearly going somewhere at least. Seems im 'dating' a nun with Leliana. Does anything happen down the road?

Leliana seems to be the hardest of the four to romance. As a female PC I:

Asked her about her past in the Chantry. There's a line where I say I couldn't imagine her as a priest because she was so attractive and charming. She notes that there are many good-looking women in the chantry and that they're attractive because they're 'forbidden fruit.' I then ask her if she's forbidden fruit, and she's tells me no.

I continue to listen to her stories and eventually ask her about her past in Orlais and bards. She makes up an obvious lie that she was just a traveling minstral.

Continue increasing her approval. Have conversation about shoes. At some point around ~70, she come up to me when I enter camp and confesses to me that she was once a spy. I can now ask her about her real past, and she tells me about her mentor.

At some point, there's a random encounter that ends with her asking to go to Denerim to look for her mentor. Finish this quest.

Conversaiton about how comfortable she is with me, and a story about the stars. (there's also a hair conversation presumably only for women)

Confession of love and a sex scene.

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Yeah. I flirted with Alistair a bit and romanced Leliana. Then I slept with Zevran and Leliana accused me of loving Alistair. Alistair apparently agreed, and I had to pick between them. I decided on Alistair first, told Leliana and she wanted some time to herself. Then next time I talk to her, she cheerfully asks me how Alistair is in bed and gives me a few tips on how to get him well trained. This is disturbing, so I reload and dump Alistair. 17 hours later, I give Zevran a pair of gloves and suddenly Leliana accuses me of loving Zevran. What? I slept with the dude once and we agreed there was nothing between us. So I dump Zevran, but at the end of the game, he agrees to come with me on my travels as my cabin boy.

Egad. Well that pretty much drives home my decision to tell all of the NPCs who express an interest to go take a cold shower. I don't want to risk losing the smug sense of superiority I get when mocking the primetime network dramas my wife enjoys so much.

crpg romances leaves Grominir with feelings ranging from mild to extreme revulsion. is an inherent creepy quality in romancing a digital character, but the manner in which such romances is implemented in crpgs thus far is making us believe that developers/gamers is all Big Fans o' Dawson's Creek and 90210 given the implementation and approval o' similarly juvenile and bizarre romance situations.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I tacked the bosses with my no-form warrior as well. I was only playing that section on easy, but after playing through again on normal with my mage I'm pretty sure it would have been easier without the forms on normal as well. Despite what Gromnir said about having to use the forms abilities properly, I never got the hang of them in that fight. Quake was fairly easy because it had a short enough activation time that it could be used to interrupt. The other two however require pure dumb luck to stop an attack because they take longer to activate.

I suppose if you switched back to your normal form before/just after getting hit by the special attacks you could get up faster and then switch forms once you're up, but I never tried that. Having immunity to those damn chained knockdown attacks was very useful.

Entering the room in Spirit form and casting Crushing Prison, then using Golem form was the way I did it.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

You let someone, who is most likely going to come back and try to kill you again, GO? Have you learned nothing from games? NOTHING?

Well, if her epilogue will be

killed by Marjosomething

, my revenge will be mighty and painful.

Heh, reminds me of dating in college. Yes, Leliana is the sweet girl that won't give it up until there's a commitment. Morrigan's the wild girl that you meet at the club, invites you to the parking lot, shags your brains out, and then doesn't say much when you go to ask the hot nice girl to dance.

Purkake:

She survived her parents', boss' and comrades' death. She has learned to suppress those bitter, self-destructive emotions. Focusing on rebuilding the Grey Wardens, she will patiently wait. Then one day, Zevran will send a letter. She'll go to the appointed place at midnight, knock on the door then kick it in, swords in hand. The rapidly growing fear in Marjosomething as she realizes her sweet dream had just turned into a nightmare will make my char grin with all the hatred, anger and insanity she has been nurturing all those years. Then she slowly advances...

A few days later she exchanges farewells with friends and goes to the Deep Roads, slaying hundred Darkspawn before being reunited with her lover.

Enslaving Orlais with necromancy blood magic?
My char's a fighter, but a Reaver could do something similar. Edited by Oner

Yeah. I flirted with Alistair a bit and romanced Leliana. Then I slept with Zevran and Leliana accused me of loving Alistair. Alistair apparently agreed, and I had to pick between them. I decided on Alistair first, told Leliana and she wanted some time to herself. Then next time I talk to her, she cheerfully asks me how Alistair is in bed and gives me a few tips on how to get him well trained. This is disturbing, so I reload and dump Alistair. 17 hours later, I give Zevran a pair of gloves and suddenly Leliana accuses me of loving Zevran. What? I slept with the dude once and we agreed there was nothing between us. So I dump Zevran, but at the end of the game, he agrees to come with me on my travels as my cabin boy.

Egad. Well that pretty much drives home my decision to tell all of the NPCs who express an interest to go take a cold shower. I don't want to risk losing the smug sense of superiority I get when mocking the primetime network dramas my wife enjoys so much.

crpg romances leaves Grominir with feelings ranging from mild to extreme revulsion. is an inherent creepy quality in romancing a digital character, but the manner in which such romances is implemented in crpgs thus far is making us believe that developers/gamers is all Big Fans o' Dawson's Creek and 90210 given the implementation and approval o' similarly juvenile and bizarre romance situations.

HA! Good Fun!

Indeed. So the companions now become a mini-game of "get their approval high enough to unlock quests and get character/gameworld background info, but not so high that they start writing my name in little hearts in the margins of their trigonometry notes."

All told, I'd rather spend my time in Camp talking to the Dog.

Anyhow, my group did decide to do the Circle of Mages first, mostly for the role-playing reasons I mentioned earlier. (My mage PC thinks that the First Enchanter is generally a good guy to ask for help.) I took Alistair, Leliana, and Thelonious with me, but when I met Wynne I decided that it would be best to bring her along, guessing that she probably has a good amount of special dialogue in the Tower. So I reluctantly subbed her in for the Dog. We were going through the rooms on the 2nd floor when bedtime rolled around last night. (I did decide to spare

the one blood mage who survived my first encounter with such.

It'll be interesting to see if there are consequences of that down the road.)

Anyhow, my group did decide to do the Circle of Mages first, mostly for the role-playing reasons I mentioned earlier. (My mage PC thinks that the First Enchanter is generally a good guy to ask for help.) I took Alistair, Leliana, and Thelonious with me, but when I met Wynne I decided that it would be best to bring her along, guessing that she probably has a good amount of special dialogue in the Tower. So I reluctantly subbed her in for the Dog. We were going through the rooms on the 2nd floor when bedtime rolled around last night. (I did decide to spare

the one blood mage who survived my first encounter with such.

It'll be interesting to see if there are consequences of that down the road.)

Wynne is mandatory there IIRC, so you didn't really have a choice. Edited by Oner

"but to me dark fantasy always associated with low fantasy, like Witcher, for example. "

TW is not low fantasy.

And, there is a lot of darkness in DA (as well as frivilous fluff). I'd share ehre but we're not allowed to post spoilers.

"Wynne is mandatory there IIRC"

Nope.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I thought the Dwarf city did a good job of capturing a more mature element. The whole caste system is pretty jacked up. Maybe you should stop choosing to play a pansy elf?

Well, I thought it would be all "dark, gritty and mature" because of the whole zomg elf slavery /zomg thing, but so far it's been kinda lame and predictable. I guess I'll play a dwarf next.

As for overly foreshadowing and being predictable nothing, writing wise, is diferent at Bioware on that level since NWN1.

So you're saying that NWN1 was good?

Paging Volo...

No I am saying Biowares massive foreshadowing and, mostly, predictiable writing hasn't much changed since NWN1. Last game they tossed me for a loop writting wise was BG2.

World of Darkness News

---

- Doreen Valiente

Really? BG2? What was 'surprising' in BG2? The fact Imoen was your half sister?

Let me guess, you were one of the ones who knew KOTOR's 'twist' the moment you read the manual, right?

Sorry, BIO has gotten BETTER with the foreshadowing.

"Still curious what it is about the Dwarves that are specifically similar to Klingon lore. What is it that is unique about the Klingon lore in particular? "

There isn't anything. Anything the DA dwarves have in common with klingons are shared by other fantasy/sci-fi/human races anyways.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.