Torchlight

WDeranged

On torchlight itself: :thumbsup:

Played some before I took another "nap." Very much like Fate except with Diablo-ish inventory and such. I love the better looking cat/dog pets, the shared stash and sending the pet to town. Very nice. Started on Normal and as noted, it's been too easy, so I'm going to restart on Hard. Altho, if you end up choosing to continue the 'endless' dungeon grinding w/a chr once finished w/the quest/plot, it could get harder. It did in Fate, a little.

So far my only minor quibble is I sometimes have a hard time clicking on the monsters to attack. I wave the cursor over a clump of baddies and either my pc is so fast it doesn't pick up on them or there's lag and it doesn't pick up on them. Also, my 1st chr., the guy (Bink?) you find in the dungeon to help, he followed my chr...in the 2nd, he acted like I didn't accept the quest and ignored me. Bug I assume...

Also you can abuse Enchanting if you have the money and keep on improving your favorite weapon. Though there is a chance you'll lose all the enchantments in the process, that doesn't happen often enough.

Oh? Is that still in there? You could do that in Fate, too. Interesting.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

You have to be logged in to steam to play them, yes. But you can login to steam in offline mode for any game that doesn't require you to be online to play it, ie most (if not all) singleplayer games.

The offline mode does work once you have the game installed...but I still need Steam to run it. Also, here's another issue that I have (maybe there's a solution I'm unaware of?)...if you play in offline mode and there's a patch, you go online and it'll patch things automatically, correct?

But what if you don't like the patch? Either because of gameplay changes you personally dislike or because your hardware for some reason doesn't like the patched aspects. You can't downgrade the patch on Steam. If you uninstall and reinstall, Steam will install the latest version w/the patch, and thus you can never get back to the original version again. Has this changed?

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

i hate being logged in and online for steam, so i ALWAYS have it in offline mode, im still "logged in" to the program, but not the internet aspect of it, so their servers can shut down all they want, it wont bother me.

i also only buy valve games and cheap games on steam. for a new full price game i buy the disc.

i DO like that i can have all my steam games on all my computers though, its fun for my brain

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I was stupid and picked medium for my vanquisher and it is mindnumbingly boring (This is comming from someone who played a fair amount of diablo and hc diablo 2).

Im gonna try VH and see if thats any better.

Definitely try VH.

The thing that bothered me the most on my vanq (lvl 18) is that im really only using 1 skill (explosive shot, and dumped everything else into passive damage boosting skills) and with the skill structure the way it is I have a really hard time seeing that change on a harder difficulty.

You're fault for picking passives instead of skills. :thumbsup: Pick at least 2 skills. On a Vanquisher, try that freezing knockback skill for when you get surrounded, as well as perhaps explosive shot and the lower armour + stun trap.

For example, the armour draining trap seems far better than the passives that boost damage since the armour drained is a much bigger damage boost IIRC. The critical strike passive seems like it might be worth it.

Finally, remember this isn't left-click/right-click like Diablo 2. You now have hotkeys (by default keys 1 to 9) that cast at the cursor location. VERY helpful, and allows for far more tactical gameplay.

One thing about Steam I don't like is it really makes me feel like I'm renting a bloody game, not buying it.

Is it because you're not getting a physical copy? You can download content purchased on Steam on any computer where you have an account. If every computer you owned were annihilated by a freak bolt of lightning, you could get a new computer, log on to Steam, and re-download pretty much everything you had ever purchased.

Yeah, it's certainly the least retarded form of online activation around, but it's still online activation.

Is it because you're not getting a physical copy? You can download content purchased on Steam on any computer where you have an account. If every computer you owned were annihilated by a freak bolt of lightning, you could get a new computer, log on to Steam, and re-download pretty much everything you had ever purchased.

Can you expand on the bolded? Does that mean there is no limit to the number of PC's that simultaneously have the same game installed? For exapmle, could I have at the same time the same game installed on my home desktop, work desktop and a laptop? Or did you mean there is no limit to the number of times you could download the same game, but only on one PC at a time?

Correct. No limit, but only one computer can be logged into a specific Steam account at any one time.

Meh. I think its much better for everything to be as manual as possible. You want to roll back patches? Fine. You want to change random settings? Fine. You want to hack the game? Fine. None of this automatic shmuggery.

Besdies which, I tried Steam for ETW as I had to, and it takes 30 years for Steam to load so that the game can load. No thanks.

You have to be logged in to steam to play them, yes. But you can login to steam in offline mode for any game that doesn't require you to be online to play it, ie most (if not all) singleplayer games.

The offline mode does work once you have the game installed...but I still need Steam to run it. Also, here's another issue that I have (maybe there's a solution I'm unaware of?)...if you play in offline mode and there's a patch, you go online and it'll patch things automatically, correct?

But what if you don't like the patch? Either because of gameplay changes you personally dislike or because your hardware for some reason doesn't like the patched aspects. You can't downgrade the patch on Steam. If you uninstall and reinstall, Steam will install the latest version w/the patch, and thus you can never get back to the original version again. Has this changed?

As far as I know, yes, whenever steam decides to patch/update a game it's done automatically without any decision from the user. I would imagine that if you backup a game to DVD then install it at some future point, it will update automatically. I do see your point, there is that drawback of buying games from steam.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

So do you guys bother with the fishing in this game? It's fun to make your pet into something else for a while, and occasionally you fish out a cool item, but my eyes go buggy watching that fishing indicator.

Also, that first Brink guy, it's weird how he literally follows you half the time and doesn't the other half. I wonder what that's about, guess I'll have to google.

I never fished more than 2 or 3 times. It just didn't seem to have a point.

As for Brink I guess he follows you unless he is after one of the monsters. I dunno I went through those levels pretty fast.

Using a gamepad to control an FPS is like trying to fight evil through maple syrup.

I just found my first fishing hole last night. I definitely think the fishing game takes a bit too long. It's very WoW-ish. I would prefer to just have the fishing hole be like a treasure chest; find one, click it, get a bunch of fish.

But maybe I just feel stupid for having actually gotten up to 375 fishing in WoW. What on earth did I do that for? That's like a day of my life down the drain.

Matthew Rorie

But maybe I just feel stupid for having actually gotten up to 375 fishing in WoW. What on earth did I do that for? That's like a day of my life down the drain.

From experience in my WoW days, fishing was a very good (albeit slow) source of income.

Edited by Syraxis

From experience in my WoW days, fishing was a very good (albeit slow) source of income.

Hey now, fishing 450 here.

I stopped bothering with fishing after the first few. I like the idea, but having such a slow minigame in such a fast paced game is counterproductive.

Guys, if you think the loading is taking a bit too long, there is a community fix out that works very well:

-> Go to the game folder and find Pak.zip.

-> Unzip it, you should get a 'media' folder.

-> Right-click it, hit send to, then click Compressed folder - you should then effectively get a media.zip.

-> Back up pak.zip, then rename media.zip to pak.zip.

This should cut down all loading times considerably; for me it's about a 1/3 difference.

Level 22 with my alchemist, around level 23 in the dungeon and seemingly getting close to the end.

Im getting these wierd enemy level shifts.

Im lvl 9 on my new (VH) alchemist and the enemies im fighting are like level 7-8. Then I go to town, do some stuff and come back to find all the enemies are now level 4.

Can someone tell me where the save files are stored? I'd like to move 'em to the PC from the laptop but can't find them.

C:/Documents and Settings/(YourPCUsername)/Application Data/runic games

Can someone tell me where the save files are stored? I'd like to move 'em to the PC from the laptop but can't find them.

C:/Documents and Settings/(YourPCUsername)/Application Data/runic games

<3

I finished the main quest with my Alchemist at level 36, and dabbled in a bit at the Infinite Dungeon.

The game is definitely fun and well made, but flawed in a serious way that detriments from becoming the addictive Diablo-clone we hoped it was - basically, the loot system.

1) You get way too many magical items and they are all rubbish. You occasionally find a rare or unique that is actually useful to you, and this *was* how things were in Diablo, but in Multiplayer at elast you were sharing items around. I think it's a bit more extreme here.

2) Set item stats are randomised, which takes a lot of fun out of collecting sets.

3) Enchanting has a silly exploit where you get a random normali tem from the first level in the dungeon and enchant it 100+ times for dirt cheap, ending up with godly weapons. This is in fact necessary after level 40 or so, because the loot you get from drops become so inadequate (see 1) that you need to enchant like hell to get anything better.

Pity. Still fun, but pity.