Torchlight

WDeranged

So I finally started seriously playing Torchlight.

I'm a level 10-ish Vanquisher and it's loads of fun. I like how there are portals and levels available that provide access to creeps far above your own level, in case the main dungeon gets boring. But so far the main dungeon has also been refreshingly challenging, requiring tactics and the avoidance of pain (bosses can one-hit kill, creep mobs swiftly overwhelm).

I imagine it'd be painful playing as the warrior class.

(Playing on Very Hard for reference.)

Definitely two thumbs up for this game. Recommended it to all my friends, gave them a bit of a demo, and now they're planning to buy it.

Does anybody know how many levels are available in the Torchlight demo?

I think I've left the Torchlight own zone. It's not that it got bad, but the balance did get out of whack near the end of the game. The random drop system gets pretty nutty (i.e. extremely random) once you start getting into the 20s. After I found items that gave me enough bonus to knockback, magic, critical hit/damage, and mana, there wasn't much reason to trade up. I'm still mostly using gear that I picked up 8-10 levels ago. :/

im hearing more and more that the game is short lived, maybe they will do some balancing via an expansion or patch or something to fix the late-game wonkiness?

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

J.E., were you playing on Very Hard?

But still, sounds like Torchlight has the late-game unbalance issues the original Diablo1 had. Er...at least that the overpowered Diablo1 sorcerer had. Loot based games often have that problem tho...maybe Torchlight needs something like a Zod rune that hardly ever drops, a reason to keep searching, heh.

The enchanting feature is too overpowered, if you use it, making dungeon-found items even more extraneous. I'm really surprised they left that aspect in there. I remember in Fate I had all these items with so many enchantments you couldn't see them all on the item list anymore. :teehee: They should've made it so you could only enchant any single item a few times.

I still think it's worth the $20 tho.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

What about something which drops which changes everything else, rather than changing you, like a rune which when ignited makes all badguys of X type vulnerable to ice damage and resistant to cheese damage*? That would change the relevance of all existing kit and skills.

*I haven't had lunch.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

What about something which drops which changes everything else, rather than changing you, like a rune which when ignited makes all badguys of X type vulnerable to ice damage and resistant to cheese damage*? That would change the relevance of all existing kit and skills.

*I haven't had lunch.

You are more entertaining when you're hungry.

Also, I like that idea.

• 1 month later...