What Are You Playing Now?

i'll go and see if i can get system shock 2 running on windows 7, wish me luck.

pod has a lot of sentimental value for me.

it stands for "planet of death" and its a surrealistic racing game released in 1997. it came free with the the "new" pentium mmx systems in those days. my father had bought me a personal computer so i could use it for my "study". well i'm not really into racing games but that game soaked up many many hours of mine. check the movie:

I've been cutting down on my gaming... picked up a girlfriend recently.

But! Been watching Wrath develop. Gotten REALLY geared, and been drooling over Assassins creed 2 and CoD:MW2

Need to pick my E:TW game back up tho.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Congrats. :lol:

Anyways, I'll be playing Killing Floor tonight so if anyone wants to jump on later just send me a message*.

*I'll most likely be on a semi-private server that a friend runs and so you'll need the password and the IP.

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

^Brave, very brave, young grasshopper.

I've only just left the harbor city to search for the Blood Alliance, so ain't very far into it yet.

Ugh, I should play more Lost Odyssey as well. It's just that parts of it make me sleepy and some of the characters can be real bores.

What do you think so far, Mus?

Same deal with Lost Odyssey. I've played only till Grand Staff but it's slow going, for sure.

The premise is great - an immortal guy who struggles to remember memories since he's seen so much. But then it just goes downhill from there, and then the goddamn kids show up...

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

^Brave, very brave, young grasshopper.

I've only just left the harbor city to search for the Blood Alliance, so ain't very far into it yet.

Ugh, I should play more Lost Odyssey as well. It's just that parts of it make me sleepy and some of the characters can be real bores.

What do you think so far, Mus?

Same deal with Lost Odyssey. I've played only till Grand Staff but it's slow going, for sure.

The premise is great - an immortal guy who struggles to remember memories since he's seen so much. But then it just goes downhill from there, and then the goddamn kids show up...

I do like it, it's very traditional, which in this case means a good thing - I've needed something like this ever since modernist humbug that was FF12. I've played till just after the kids, meaning I am at the Crimson Forest right now. The biggest problem the game has so far is that everything is so damned slow. Compare it to Tales of Vesperia, for instance. The latter has instant message and confirmation pop-ups during the adventure mode(treasure pick-up, dialogue, etc), very smooth interface and a seamless real-time element, while the former has you wait e.g everytime you "probe" an object like a vase, watch the long-long attack and special attack animations(I really really hate Kelolons) that both your characters and enemies make. Random encounters take time, not because they are hard and frequent, which they aren't with proper leveling, but because everything reacts so syrupy, ugh.

Besides that gripe, however, there's really decent writing, mostly the Dreams, but even some of the characterization(Kaim is far easier to like than every FF main char so far) is good. They've obviously taken a theme and ridden with it, and even though mortality and the lack thereof is not a new topic by any means, I appreciate that they've stuck with it. The quips between the Immortals are interesting and the tragic nature of the whole premise makes you come back for more, even though the actual gameplay might(and will) tarry at parts.

Art design is rather bleh, I Panzer Dragoon Saga comes to mind at parts, but mostly it's like they thought the art director of FF:Spirits Within was a grand visionary and decided to go with a washed-out colour palette, sweeping geometric shapes for architecture and general airiness to the overall feel. It lends itself to some beautiful scenes, I admit, but pales in comparison to the quirky and beautiful style of Vesperia and tothe "let's feed the art team Assyrian mushrooms"-look that FF12 had, for instance. It's just bland, which, funnily enough, fits the melancholic nature of the story. Doesn't really entice to discover new areas though. I fell asleep in Numara, since the music was too darn peaceful and the surroundings reminded me of blankets and hospitals. Some color, please, anyone?

Digressing here; I do plan to finish the game, especially since the the new kid characters have brought some life the cast, but I'll always be drawn to the game's superior cousins, if you know what I mean.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Congrats. :)

With Alpha Protocol delayed (and a whole bunch of others,too), after that lack-luster summer, it really has been a real primetime for geeks to get paired. :(

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Congrats. :)

With Alpha Protocol delayed (and a whole bunch of others,too), after that lack-luster summer, it really has been a real primetime for geeks to get paired. :)

Here's to that: :(

Though the missus isn't a geek, bless her.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Decided to dig out the old ps2 and started final fantasy XII from the beginning. This story could be loads better if the main pov was balthier instead of that little pretty boy dip**** named vaan.

<sent from phone>

I logged into steam and am now staring at this deal on "AI War: Fleet command" with thoughts of possibly buying it... it's on sale for 15 bucks.

Decided to dig out the old ps2 and started final fantasy XII from the beginning. This story could be loads better if the main pov was balthier instead of that little pretty boy dip**** named vaan.

<sent from phone>

i liked the story in 12, but i hated the gameplay, after a while it just became an awful, seemingly never ending grind that left me wondering why i was even bothering. i finished the game, but really don't relish the idea of replaying it anytime soon.

FF 6,7,8,9 were an uncommonly great streak of games imo, everything since has been a bit of a let down to me (not saying 10 and 12 were bad, just not as good as the four prior releases)

i am greatly looking forward to 13 in hopes of it recapturing the quality of their golden era

oh and ps: basch and his storyline was the coolest and best part of 12, balthier coming in second. vaan was just awful and extraneous.

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

i was liking FF8 up until the story turns into one hell of a giant facepalm moment

and FF7 seemed just as silly

hairpins and megaphones as weapons?

chicken racing to be released from prison?!

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

hairpin was the name of one characters weapon, i believe it was a weapon with 0 materia slots so no one ever used it. maybe yuffi or aeris?

edit: and yeah, 8's story at one point went a little crazy and it bugged me the first time, but on replays i noticed that the game was actually leading you in that direction from the beginning and it wasnt as totally nuts as i thought it was at first.

still, it doesnt beat the insanity of what happens half-way through 6... (6 is at least more logical, but just nuts as far as unexpectedness goes)

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Red XIII or Nanaki or whatever his name is

his weapons were "pins" if i remember correctly - it's been years since i played it

yup, mainly because he was hitting people by doing a blanka-esk pinball through the air towards his opponent and presumibly gore people with his pins.

The story in 7 was good, some people preferred 8 but then 8 had the whole "omg we all were in the same orphanage as children and just didn't remember it!" thing.

10 was also REALLY good, a few awkward moments and some REALLY ludicrously tough boss fights (one of Seymour's forms was like trying to break a brick wall with your fists) but overall the story was quite well done (10-2 was terrible in comparison, more of a "lets cash in on the female teen demographic). and 12... well 12's story was good, but it basically played itself rather than let you play it and the difficulty was tuned to much so that you HAD to go out and grind at certain points to continue.

Anyways, I'll be playing Killing Floor tonight

Just about to give that a go, since you can for free this weekend. ARMA 2 is half price, debating whether it's worth it.

That depends on whether you have any friends to play with.

i am greatly looking forward to 13 in hopes of it recapturing the quality of their golden era

I'd keep my hopes low, it's still a JRPG...(and consider that said without any prejudice, I liked Lufia II and Tales of Phantasia)

i was liking FF8 up until the story turns into one hell of a giant facepalm moment

Turns into? It's worse than FF7 from the start, you should have seen it coming.

Hello peoples

I just finished playing KOTOR and just before that icewind dale 1. I haven't played them for quite some time now and i can tell you, i love those games. I bought a personal computer just to play some of those dustcollectors.

I'm having difficulty choosing the next game i want to play. i have bg1, bg2, kotor2, ps:t, freelancer, ff7, system shock2, deus ex, nwn, pod.....(if i can get any of them running under windows 7 64 bit that is). kotor did crash occasionally. icewind ran perfectly.

i've also been considering buying mass effect or maybe dragon age when it comes out but i'm not sure yet..

long live the oldies

i replay system shock 2 and deus ex just about once a year. so i recommend those two, in that order! go now and enjoy!

i managed to get system shock 2 working including some great mods from this website: ss2 mods

had no problem getting it to work under windows 7. you need a little bit of time to get the hang of installing mods but it's not that hard once you know how to work with the "ss2 mod manager" which you can download from that site.

for example you can get new looks for the laser weapon with the the weapon mod:

laserpistol.jpg