What are you playing now?

SteveThaiBinh

MEPC, trying BDTS and Pinnacle station.

Lucky you. I've had Pinnacle station since day 1, and am still waiting for the 'fix to clear certification'. At least I didn't call customer support and get my box borked, like some poor souls. Score 1 for pc, 0 x360.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Good games rarely have trouble selling[/i] and that's all there is to it.

VTM:B & Arcanum disagree. Could name more, but they seem most appropriate on a RPG dev forums.

Bad luck *shrugs*.

That's why I said rarely, nto all the time.

VtM:B was a buggy mess at release, that probably didn't help either.

Finally playing through Deus Ex. First things first: I am failing at it. It seems people don't like when most of my techniques turn out to be "snipe the guards in the head" and the other agents keep calling me out on it. It's a good thing, but if tranq darts weren't so inneffective I might stop using brute force. Not to mention the game is already pretty difficult.

Other than that, there are so many options! Just talking to a random kid opened up a whole other way to infiltrate the castle, and even then I had at least two other ways of getting in. This game is fantastic.

Edited by WILL THE ALMIGHTY

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

VtM:B was a buggy mess at release, that probably didn't help either.

They also finished it before hand and had to sit on it. Imagine if it had come out before Half-Life 2.

It was never really finished but slapped together towards the end. the first several years of development were all burned up on Santa Monica hub, the rest was done in several months. And it shows.

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

Perhaps I should say that they ran out of money to continue developing content and then had to let it sit. I've read several times that they had it ready before Half-Life 2, but were contractually obligated not to release it until after HL2 hit the shelves.

When Troika had not completed a playable Santa Monica hub with combat and discipline usage that met Activision's satisfaction after more than two years of development time, the publisher took several steps to bring closure to the troubled project. First, Activision increased the budget to add Troika's second development team to the project in March 2004, after they had completed work on The Temple of Elemental Evil. Next, it sent the game's Activision producer and two testers to work on-site at Troika's offices until the game was completed. Finally, it set a deadline of September 15 for Troika to produce a Code Release Candidate.

Troika delivered the Code Release Candidate on the required date, though it left the development team in low morale. Due to the game's size and complexity, the Code Release Candidate took three weeks to test, but on October 4, 2004, Bloodlines went Gold as Version 1.0. Since contractual obligations with Valve would interdict Bloodlines to be released before Valve's debut of the Source engine in Half-Life 2, Activision did not publicly announce that the game had gone Gold and instead gave Troika an additional week to polish the game, after which Bloodlines Version 1.1 underwent another three weeks of testing.

The second version of Bloodlines shipped on November 16, 2004, the same day that Half-Life 2 was released. Valve's first-person shooter, a hugely successful sequel, sold four million units by 2006.[4] The original Half-Life had itself sold 12 million units by then.[4] Earlier release plans were to postpone until Spring 2005 so that Bloodlines would not compete against a sequel to a blockbuster, with a large advertising budget and ready made loyal following during the already competitive Christmas season.[5]

wiki never lies.

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Finally playing through Deus Ex. (...) This game is fantastic.
Another poor soul has been shown the light, all is well.

My life now has meaning. Although I won't lie: I would very much appreciate better graphics, maybe a mod will do.

Edited by WILL THE ALMIGHTY

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

That's the gist of it. VtM:Bloodlines aka Python hell. I loved the game but its terribly flawed, and the fact that it didn't get mass appeal is hardly surprising.

Bloodlines never had a chance. It was a dead born child that stupid Activision rejected from the beginning. Or why did they just chose to relese it at the same day as HL2? No wonder the game went completely unnoticed.

deus ex is one of my top three games of all time. its not perfect (a few slow parts in the second half), but in the many areas where it succeeds... well, it's genius.

i just bought that capcom three pack:

devil may cry 4, dead rising, lost planet.

i expect to get a few days of fun out of each of those games.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Watching some Bayonetta videos got me to install DMC3 again.

Check out what it says at the end of the installation, regarding WMP:

DMC.JPG

Stellar work right there.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

My life now has meaning. Although I won't lie: I would very much appreciate better graphics, maybe a mod will do.

Well, it was never a pretty game. I've found that using the 'fan-made' UT renderer at least kills most of the glitching. Not sure what the situation with the high-res texture packs is.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

The sad thing is that it could have saved the Trokia ship from sinking.

Bloodlines sold tons, well over a million copies if a google search is to be considered reliable. According to what Ive heard: the problem was that Activision witheld payments to Troika because of some other project(unnamed post-apocalyptic rpg) that fell through, and without income Troika had no choice but to shut down operations.

Kind of what happened to GRIN, the publisher just refused to pay up, forcing the studio to close as they suddenly had no income to pay wages, rent etc. In GRINs case it was the publisher not approving a perfectly good milestone for a project in order to wiggle out of the contract.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

The sad thing is that it could have saved the Trokia ship from sinking.

Bloodlines sold tons, well over a million copies if a google search is to be considered reliable. According to what Ive heard: the problem was that Activision witheld payments to Troika because of some other project(unnamed post-apocalyptic rpg) that fell through, and without income Troika had no choice but to shut down operations.

Kind of what happened to GRIN, the publisher just refused to pay up, forcing the studio to close as they suddenly had no income to pay wages, rent etc. In GRINs case it was the publisher not approving a perfectly good milestone for a project in order to wiggle out of the contract.

Bloodlines surely didn't sell a ton. By the time Troika went bancrupt, Leon said it sold some 140 000 units. Maybe now, after 5 years, it sold a million inclusind the DD version.

The thing why so many companies have to report insolvency is that the publishers pay them too late. That's an outrage, and should be fixed per law.

The thing why so many companies have to report insolvency is that the publishers pay them too late. That's an outrage, and should be fixed per law.
I'd agree... but then the whole 3DR fiasco comes to mind.

Speaking of which... DN3D HRP. (not my yt channel)

Boy, I had forgotten how fun old skool shooters were.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Speaking of which... DN3D HRP. (not my yt channel)

Boy, I had forgotten how fun old skool shooters were.

Just a warning to others, the volume in that video is pretty high.

I love all those HQ engines for old shooters, I have played Doom and Doom 2 more with Doomsday engine than I played the original back in the day. Can't stand the new 3d enemy models though, I'll take the original messy sprites anytime :shifty:

That video motivated me to give an 'oldie' a spin myself. Have nothing to play at the moment, anyway. Something from 1999 or 2000, preferably.

Quick list to name a few:

Baldur's Gate 1-2

Deus Ex

Fallout 1-2

FreeSpace 1-2 (with FSOpen, of course)

Planescape - Torment

System Shock 2

I think I have to fire SS2 up again one of these days.

Playing The Guild 2. Enjoying it, oddly enough, not encountering as many bugs as I thought (did patch at a date after my friend played it and told me about it, though).

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

- High-resolution mod for characters

- High-resolution mod for levels

You're welcome! :(

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy