Dragon Age Origins

Gorth

why is nwn their most successful game?

what is the rubric of success you are applying here?

financial - total net? i presume mass effect made more $ but thats based on nothing concrete

financial cost to net ratio?

gross?

ratings?

personal opinion?

i just am curious what you mean

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

"why is nwn their most successful game?"

This is what BIO claims. I have no reason to think they'd lie about this.

"what is the rubric of success you are applying here?"

That games get back what they put in. ie. At minimum, break even. If a game costs $10,000 to develop it should make $10,000. If it cost $5mil, it should make $5mil. It doesn't matter how 'critically acclaimed' a game might be if it cna't make money since that would mean the company/people who mad eit are one step closer to not exisiting. It also means it's not popular enough to sustain an audience worthy of the price tag.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

It's a good preview but I'm also confused now... the combat doesn't consist of attack & parry rolls? Does one always hit an enemy, with damage being determined by special combat abilities, attributes & skills?

You don't always hit your target.

How often you swing is determined by weapon speed, dex, and whether you're duel wielding or not.

If you hit is a combination of dex + weapon talents + situational bonuses + other bonuses - their defense value.

When you hit, damage is determined by dex or strength + armor penetration + weapon damage + talents - (armor values + resistances)

You get extra DLC with the downloadable version, though.

You get one piece of DLC: The Warden's Keep. You can also get that through the game itself. On the other hand, the items in the physical CE: steel case, cloth map, and making of... DVD, aren't easily available.

Personally, I prefer something I can touch.

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

I was already pretty sure I'm going to like DA, and that preview just about confirmed it. 50% friendly fire on normal sounds fun, can't use the same bombarding tactic I used in Mask of the Betrayer. And the fact that main party members have alot to say sounds great, characters are the main thing for me in rpg's.

You're right, the pound is toast.

And I love it! I have ordered all my games and my XBox 360 from UK and saved alot of money. I wish there would be Amazon Zimbabwe :aiee:

Because they can't see the wood for the trees - Joe Gamer wants to know about the sex scenes, apparently, the combat the makes up the other 99.9% of the game is neither here nor there. It's pretty odd that I've only found out about this feature, what? 60 odd days prior to release. If I'd known about it earlier...

Cheers

MC

The developers started talking about the gambit-like system about two year ago. I mean, it has come up several times on the BioWare forums and a few articles I've read, but... :ermm:

Combat is boring. Mechanics are boring. I try to provide you guys with interesting stuff. I never imagined someone would want to hear about combat slots and AI scripts.

I feel a bit guilty now.

It was a very good article though. I knew a bunch of it in general, but the little details were nice.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

You know it is a bit (sadly) funny and ironic. Untill I read that article, All that I knew about the game were giving me the signals for a massively hyped pile of sub-standart materials again (like some other games).

I really hope someone at DA:O gets the hint and has some words with their marketing department. Untill now the game has been portrayed much too shallower and brainless than it seems to be.

Maria: I know, for most people intresting stuff is whats on the boobs and gore department but what is under the hood (and it turns out to be a monster V12 with external intake fans and dry shot nitro instead of a dinky jap. hybrid) is intresting for the folks who stomp around in here too. Anyway, don't feel bad, at least we found out before the game was releases. And we got to read an article written by someone who knows what he is talking about too. No loss.

Edit: Too much motorsports sorry :ermm:

Edited by cronicler

IG. We kick ass and not even take names.

Because they can't see the wood for the trees - Joe Gamer wants to know about the sex scenes, apparently, the combat the makes up the other 99.9% of the game is neither here nor there. It's pretty odd that I've only found out about this feature, what? 60 odd days prior to release. If I'd known about it earlier...

Cheers

MC

The developers started talking about the gambit-like system about two year ago. I mean, it has come up several times on the BioWare forums and a few articles I've read, but... :ermm:

Combat is boring. Mechanics are boring. I try to provide you guys with interesting stuff. I never imagined someone would want to hear about combat slots and AI scripts.

I feel a bit guilty now.

It was a very good article though. I knew a bunch of it in general, but the little details were nice.

For a spiritual successor to BG2, the combat is extremely important. I didn't spend hours trying to get Firkraag with Lower Resistance+Greater Malision+Chromatic Orb because of the story. I did it because it was actually possible and fun to try new crazy ways to defeat way too difficult opponents.

You know it is a bit (sadly) funny and ironic. Untill I read that article, All that I knew about the game were giving me the signals for a massively hyped pile of sub-standart materials again (like some other games).

Yeah, you are not the only one. It's little funny to me that some people have declaired DA as crap just because they saw the trailer with Marilyn Manson music, instead of looking up more information. But I too understand them, the marketing is clearly pointed to new and casual players than to BG veterans. If I hadn't been watching the development of DA for few years every now and then, I probably would be just as confused.

Especially on higher difficulty levels (if games is balanced correctly on normal), game mechancis and combat mechanics become very important. Combat is bit like puzzle solving and you need to know how things work or it'll just become trial and error (aka save / load). Baldur's Gate 2 is great example as it's filled with many totally unfair mobs, but at the same time it's great fun to find ways to beat 'em.

Kangaxx is one of those type of encounters. In it's Lich form it's rather easy to beat in several ways. On my last run, I just ate all it's spells and healed thru 'em as I had healer heavy party. In Demi-Lich form it gets interesting from game mechanics point of view. It requires +4 weapons to hit it and I didn't have any. It's also immune to all direct damage spells that I can cast (mage lvl 6 spells). Ring of Ram had already been used that day. Demi-Lich seem to like to spam Imprisonment, a spell that as no saving throw and is same as permanent death for my level.

Let's see. Aggro in Baldur's Gate is very basic. Most of the time mobs just attack closest hostile. This means Korgan should tank the mob as he still had one Berserker rage left for the day. It don't matter that Korgan can't actually damage the mob. Berserker rage don't last very long and Kangaxx also regenerates. We need to find the way to damage it. Higher level summoned mobs, like elementals, melee attacks seem to count as magical weapons. Summon aerial servant (level 6 priest spell) and 12hd fire elemental (level 6 druid spell) and have Edwin to cast haste on 'em. Kangaxx dies easily before Berserker rage is over.

Above example is optinational encounter as it should be.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

Says the man with the magic save-load buttons. :ermm:

Combat is boring if its not challenging, which turns it into an irritating interlude between story events like in KOTOR, Jade Empire, Mass Effect, NWN and NWN2 which in turn drags down the whole experience significantly.

Edited by RPGmasterBoo

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

Says the man with the magic save-load buttons. :lol:

Combat is boring if it not challenging, which turns it into an irritating interlude between story events like in KOTOR, Jade Empire, Mass Effect and NWN.

The normal liches were challenging, Kangaxx was downright annoying.

You'll have to pry my magic save/load buttons from my cold dead fingers.

Annoying if you repeatedly charged an insta kill magic. The first time he slaughters your party, you already know how to beat him, or rather how not to approach him.

I beat him with Edwin shapeshifted via scroll into an adamantium golem, and it was a lot of fun beating the crap out of that flying skull.

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

Cheers

MC

I feel a bit guilty now.

I know, it's a bummer when the customers want burgers after you went to all that trouble to make Caesar Salad with the wholemeal croutons :lol:

You know that there's a fair chunk of us here who come from the wargaming end of the spectrum, not the story-and-romance end, and the gambit system (as you call it) is easily one of the most interesting and impressive features I've learnt about. I make no apologies for not closely following the Bio forums (North Korea meets High School Musical), I can't stand yet another romance thread and the Stepford Fans. This type of feature should be up on the official website (where I get my info, quel horreur!) in forty point font. Now I know about it I am duly impressed and interested.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

Hey! I'm pretty sure I said that I felt the game's claim of being a spiritual successor to BG wasn't that far off!!!! /pout

:lol:

It would be very easy for you to take this the wrong way, so please don't... but I'm not inclined to take anyone connected to Bio's word on this. Not after NWN1.

You are in an impossible position, I wouldn't expect you to be critical of the product but for that reason alone I prefer to hear from independent third parties like the guy who wrote the Game Banshee review.

Like I say, it's nothing personal.

Cheers

MC

Edited by Monte Carlo

sonsofgygax.JPG

I'm sure EA will quickly release another cheesy trailer to quell our new-found enthusiasm. :lol:

Yeah, they played the violence card already, so it's time for the sex card! 2 min trailer of boogie woogie all around :ermm:

And the Kangaxx fight is great, the music that plays in it and fights against dragons is epic.