Awesome/interesting games no one has heard of

Purkake

Whether they are indie or not they cost ~$20 or less.

Do you want us to list all good games that are below the retail price to convince you? How are any of the games we listed "mainstream", other than TF2 and Portal perhaps?

Edited by Purkake

I still don't buy the time argument. Comparing the cost to the length does not work across mediums.

You don't pause the movie half way through and continue on later. All movies have a definite ending. Measuring the time you actually have fun in a game as opposed to grinding levels/running from place to place/etc is pretty hard.

I like to compare apples to apples and so on.

What I meant was, that going to the movies for two hours will (in many places) cost you $20; The game will normally last quite a bit longer, giving you more for your money (though neither are guaranteed to please).

The last game I played was Prince of Persia:Sands of Time, for $6; The last movie I went to see was Transformers 2 [iMAX] $14... I'm still playing, enjoying (and yet to finish) the game, while I walked out on the movie 28 minutes in to it (would have been 15, but I still had slushie :()

I compare Apples to any fruit as they are all food. :o

I wasn't disagreeing with you, I just don't think that they are comparable.

Also, the movie cost and length is pretty consistent compared to games.

Basically it comes down to good games vs bad movies and the other way around.

Yeah.

*And you are far more likely to find a gem of a game on sale than a movie. Retailers know the value of a video DVD, but are clueless about DVD's with a game on it.

(and thrift shops are worse. They usually mark the price on a per disk basis, so Riven DVD edition might cost $3, and the CD edition $15 :( )

Whether they are indie or not they cost ~$20 or less.

But they are not indicative of other indie/$20 games. It's like showing someone HL2 and saying all FPS are as good as this, when in reality most aren't.

Do you want us to list all good games that are below the retail price to convince you? How are any of the games we listed "mainstream", other than TF2 and Portal perhaps?

Nothing will convince me, most of the indie game I've bought I haven't enjoyed and have nothing on 'mainstream' games. Of course there are a few that are excellent, but I won't worship indie games/devs as the saviour of games like others do.

Remember I'm not someone dissatisfied with current games.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

I like my games to end.

Eventually you'll realize that all the time you put into leveling that weapon up to 9999 could have been used to play something awesome like Portal or World of Goo.

Possibly... But geting to 9999 has one hell of an epic sense of accomplishment... Which is something most games now lack...

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

I like my games to end.

Eventually you'll realize that all the time you put into leveling that weapon up to 9999 could have been used to play something awesome like Portal or World of Goo.

Possibly... But geting to 9999 has one hell of an epic sense of accomplishment... Which is something most games now lack...

For like two seconds. Then you realize that it is just a number in a game that you will probably never play again and feel bad about wasting all that time on something so meaningless.

I never got the crazy must complete everything 100% philosophy. I usually just experience the story and steer clear of any New Game+ stuff and useless collectibles. I just don't find that fun.

To each their own, I guess.

Well..

I for one enjoy most games for the system rather than the light show.

[A broad statement and I'm not implying Light show = shinys]; What this means is that I can equally enjoy and apply equal value to a game like Geneforge as well as Portal or the upcoming Dragon Age...

(and I do mean equal). Geneforge cost just about

Edited by Gizmo

That sounded like a well crafted attempt to sell Geneforge :(

It did, didn't it... but I'm not Jeff nor connected to his company, just a fan of good work ~from studios large and small.

I wasn't accusing you and I wouldn't care even if you were Jeff himself(whoever Jeff is).

It just sounded like a long well-crafted love letter :)

Maybe I should try the demo...

Eversion by the sickest person since Lovecraft (Guilherme S Tows)

Downloadable here

eversion.png

STOP YOUR CHEERY LIES!!!

Collect every gem to unlock the secret ending. Find the rest out for yourselves, ladies and gentlemen.

That sounded like a well crafted attempt to sell Geneforge :)

It did, didn't it... but I'm not Jeff nor connected to his company, just a fan of good work ~from studios large and small.

I wasn't accusing you and I wouldn't care even if you were Jeff himself(whoever Jeff is).

It just sounded like a long well-crafted love letter :p

Maybe I should try the demo...

Not to worry, I didn't take it that way.

Jeff is Jeff Vogel. I don't know him, but I know of him... and he's had his own game company since 1994 (near abouts).

He's peculiar in that he writes MAC games and later ports them to Windows. From what I understand, he does most if not all the code himself, and his wife does most of the graphics. (that at least is how it was... I dunno if that's changed in recent years). He does seem to buy graphics (asset) libraries for some of the stuff in his games.

What I like about the system is the way the Stats and Skills affect the PC, and that (like Fallout in some ways), his system is well linked to the combat system (which is turn based). If you ever played any of SSI's Gold box games you'll be right at home ~but these are not based on D&D.

[No... this is not an even sneakier well crafted sales pitch :) ~but it would be if he wrote it.]

Edited by Gizmo

Looking at all the games MORE than 95% of full-price games are crap. Have you seen how many Wii games there are?

There are plenty of cheap, but awesome games on Steam like Osmos, Audiosurf, King's Bounty, World of Goo etc.

Not buying games because they are cheap is beyond ridiculous.

EDIT: *high five* cronicler!

I'd buy them if I had the habit of buying online.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

...pity noone e'er mentions Vagrant Story; great PS1 game fer it's time... :(

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

Windows installation drives people crazy enough, no need to aggravate it.

Westwood was known for their unique custom installers.

I can't find it on Youtube, but the first bit of this clip with the balcony IS the installer.

Man! "Lands of Lore" is one title that I'd really really like Obsidian or Bethesda to pick up.

I remember with RA2 they gave you a brief history of what happened between 1 and two about Romanovs rise after stalin was beaten, before switching to slides of the new weapons you get to play with.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

...pity noone e'er mentions Vagrant Story; great PS1 game fer it's time... :)

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

For any time, Sargy. It's one of the best games ever.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat: