Awesome/interesting games no one has heard of

Purkake

not so much unheard of, but still awesome

Star Control 2 :)

Another game that has gone freeware and SC2 is great.

@Virumor: For the longest time, I thought it was actually called ROTT. Another game in the same vein is Shadow Warrior:

shadow_warrior-86707-1.jpeg

Edited by Purkake

Someone should create another thread called "great games no one has ever heard of which have now gone freeware".

If your awesome/interesting game has gone freeware, post a link to the download site with the game.

More screenshots and as far as I could tell "Thunder Star" is a motorcycle.

You can find a lot on for instance <BEEP>

Sure, but there's a difference between something officially going freeware and something losing the copyright holder.

Edited by Gorth
Quoted Link removed - Purkake is right, please only link to software released to the public by their owners

• 3 weeks later...

By the way if you have never played the excellent Another World, the 15th anniversary is well worth the price and still holds up as an excellent game. Even as a trial-and-error based puzzle/platformer, which might doom it for a modern audience, this is probably one of the greatest achievements in video gaming.

Rise of the Triad:

Awesome shooter, mix of Doom & Wolfenstein 3D.

Rott's really cool, (I have the CD version).

It had a creepy "carrion-crawler'esque" kind of main boss.

(and lots of eastereggs)

Awright... how about Raaka-tu ~anyone heard of that one?

(it may or may not be awesome...but it was interesting.)

raakatu-trs-full.jpg

raakatu-trs-back.jpg

Edited by Gizmo

TRS-80? That's a bit from before my time.

I once found an unlabeled hand drawn map, in a pile of donated books and manila folders [several years ago]... and I realized that it was the layout of the temple in Raaka-tu :ermm: (no game or disks... just this leaflet tucked in an old assembly programming textbook).

The game was a short little real time text adventure, where you break into a guarded temple and collect treasure. Standard stuff... Hidden traps, secret doors, a curious poison candle...

You typed where you wanted to go and what you chose to do, and the combat was realtime IIRC

Edited by Gizmo

Try the Mobygames games browser to narrow it down or you can check the World War II concept page at Giant Bomb

Thanks but no luck. Oh well.

HA! I found it, it's called Weird War and here's your yellow submarine:

s22820_pc_3.jpg

Your Google-fu is weak, grasshopper.

I'm pretty sure that the game actually came out as Another War, and ultimately wasn't published by Techland but by Cenega Publishing.

Never played it but reviews on the net seem to be mixed to negative.

Something I have not seen anyone mention before, it is my FAVORITE console game of ALL TIEM! Culdcept.

It is basically A card game (say kind of like Magic The Gathering, but different), Monopoly (you take control of area squares), is turn based. You basically battle the other players with the cards you both have in each hand (Monsters, spells, effects etc...). It is only out for the PS2/3 and XBox360 sadly. To me, it is basically gamer crack.

Some XBox 360 screenies:

Culdcept_SAGA_-_Screenshot_04.jpg

csagausa14.jpg

I currently don't have my PS2 set up at where I am living now (I only have a small TV, by big TV is in storage), and since there is no PC version thats probably a good thing, as I would NEVER LEAVE MY HOUSE AGAIN.

Very fun game, highly recommended.

I loved Culdcept; the card art is fantastic. Sadly I have trouble with and game with more than one opponent. :verymad:

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Try the Mobygames games browser to narrow it down or you can check the World War II concept page at Giant Bomb

Thanks but no luck. Oh well.

HA! I found it, it's called Weird War and here's your yellow submarine:

p><p>I

Never played it but reviews on the net seem to be mixed to negative.

Another War is (also?) a different game(an RPG as opposed to commandos-style strategy) that I have actually seen in stores here a long time ago:

http://i.testfreaks.com/images/products/600x400/216/another-war.1526232.jpg' alt='another-war.1526232.jpg'>

qrekxe.jpg

Or did they scrap the commandos style and change it into an RPG?

Edited by Purkake

Looking deeper into it, it looks like "Weird War" was presented as a sequel to "Another War"

http://rpgvault.ign.com/articles/456/456360p1.html

Techland doesn't list it amid its games - maybe it was never released?

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Need more awesome/interesting games.
Click this link with the utmost care, (and have someone at the ready, to pull you back, or unplug your PC if you refuse to stop playing) :lol:

http://www.fallingsandgame.com/sand/pyro.html

That's no game, that's the Devil himself!

Only the Dark Lord himself would be so devious as to take the form of the crack cocaine of free flash games.

Edited by Purkake

Why, Lord, why are those Evony ads everywhere?

I like the way they've completely eschewed subtlety and just had a blonde bird with her norks on display.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.