Awesome/interesting games no one has heard of

Purkake

I was so very disappointed by this game even though I never played it. I didn't follow it very closely at the time, but Nexus started life as Imperium Galactica 3. I absolutely loved Imperium Galactica 2 so news of a sequel was most welcome. I didn't hear about it again until Just before Nexus was released and was really disappointed that I wasn't going to get my desired sequel. The Solarian intro is still one of my favourite intro cutscenes ever. The ground combat section was crap even at the time, but I loved the space battles.

I'd at least try the demo before disregarding an awesome game because of some semi-personal beef.

As for games that haven't been mentioned, I don't think I have anything that I would really consider criminally underlooked. The closest I can think of would be Silent Storm and that's mostly because it's a squad based TBS. It was an amazing TB squad strategy game with full destructible environments. Sometimes suffered from the "One brick holding up an entire floor of a building" problem, but just the ability to shoot through floors and walls (mostly) blindly saved many, many soldiers of mine. Playing with the optional "Headshots=death" rule makes everything so much deadlier both for you and the enemy, but IMO, much more fun.

Silent storm is awesome even with the mechs as enemies, but once you get the mechs it goes downhill fast.

I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but (Severance) Blade of Darkness was an awesome game.

One of the best games for stress release ever!

24062004-34.jpg

Just started playing soul reaver 1. It took a while to get it working, damn 10 years old ps1 port.

Blade of Darkness is indeed quite awesome, you would'nt expect it to be for a mindless hack&slash, but the attention to detail and the level design are top notch. I didn't like the gameplay much in any of the soul reaver games except the orginal 2d isometric Cain game.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Also I would like to mention Homeworld for those who might not have heard of it. 360 degree RTS with the usual resource gathering but without the focus on buildings. your entire fleet can be hyperspaced away from the enemy. Superb for online or lan.

Below what looks like a heavy cruiser engaging a shipyard.

hw2.jpg

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

That is all.

I was just going to post Homeworld. You forgot the awesome story, great voice acting and music. It's one of the best stories in RTSs if not the best, really makes you feel like you are alone in the vast emptiness of space, just you against the world.

As luck would have it, the Squadron of Shame's latest podcast is an in-depth analysis of Homeworld.

Edited by Purkake

Silent storm is awesome even with the mechs as enemies, but once you get the mechs it goes downhill fast.
Yep. "How to FUBAR a perfectly good tactical squad-based shooter 101".

Hammer & Sickle!

Like SS/SS

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I was just going to post Homeworld. You forgot the awesome story, great voice acting and music. It's one of the best stories in RTSs if not the best, really makes you feel like you are alone in the vast emptiness of space, just you against the world.

As luck would have it, the Squadron of Shame's latest podcast is an in-depth analysis of Homeworld.

Unfortunately the 'boss fights'/final levels in all the installments of the game are very poor, but everything up to that is great. In Homeworld # 1 you were rewarded for finishing levels with low losses, in Homewold # 2 you were punished for playing well with the new 'adaptive AI'. The worse you played the easier the game got, and vice versa. Pretty much completely destroyed the single player experience for me.

Homeworld Cataclysm (came out between 1 and 2) is a close second to Homeworld with a lot of really challenging missions and no idiot IA punishing your successes.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

That is all.

Oh come on, these were all successful games dammit not some obscure gems. <_<
Nocturne (by Terminal Reality.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nocturne_(video_game)

204733.jpg

Robin Hood : Legend of Sherwood is a different story though
I was about to post this one :(

So... Death Gate

http://www.answers.com/topic/death-gate

Blood and Magic! That game was lots of fun, although it was a while since I played it.
Awesome game (absolutely love it), I have two game CD's and that amazing SSI demo cd from the Interplay anthology.

(amazing because somebody accidentally dragged the source code for the game into the demo folder before sending it off to be duplicated :shifty:). DOSBOX supports IPX netplay ~So you can indeed play Blood & Magic on a LAN, or through Hamachi.

*Also (I wonder what really happened...) The demo shipped with the opening cinematic ~But the retail game did not :o (and if you copy the video file to the retail game folder ~the game plays it at the start as intended).

Myth: The Fallen Lords and Myth: Soulblighter. These were RTS's that were somewhat revolutionary, d
I believe [iIRC] that it was THE first RTS with a fully 3d landscape. (and is in my top 5 favorite games.)

** Also Startopia. (IE. DungeonKeeper2 in Space :lol:)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/StarTopia

Edited by Gizmo

Homeworld 1 was a pretty amazing game given the hardware and tech level of the time. 2 looked better, but 2 also went a little bonkers in terms of story.

Currently Relic has retrieved the rights to the series (2 years ago now) but I think that their working on other games at the moment in favor of Homeworld (building up Dawn of War and Company of Heroes methinks)

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I've always wanted a copy of Omicron: The Nomad Soul......

I just read this and lol'd:

Basically, the premise was that you put your soul into this game to help defeat evil scary-ass demons, and until you finished the game, your soul was trapped. I never finished it. D:

* For God's sake, man! Finish the game! Get your soul back!

o I can't! The game doesn't work on Windows XP.

I just read this and lol'd:
Basically, the premise was that you put your soul into this game to help defeat evil scary-ass demons, and until you finished the game, your soul was trapped. I never finished it. D:

* For God's sake, man! Finish the game! Get your soul back!

o I can't! The game doesn't work on Windows XP.

TVtropes FTW!

Another game I remembered is Emperor: The Battle For Dune. It's a 3d Command & Conquer-esque game in the Dune universe. The three different sides are all pretty unique and you even have sandworms! Also, I think the community is still somewhat alive.

emperor_screen023.jpg

Another game I remembered is Emperor: The Battle For Dune. It's a 3d Command & Conquer-esque game in the Dune universe. The three different sides are all pretty unique and you even have sandworms! Also, I think the community is still somewhat alive.

Is that the one with John Rhys-Davies as the Atreides Mentat?

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Is that the one with John Rhys-Davies as the Atreides Mentat?

That's Dune 2000, I believe. I think this one has FMV cutsecenes as well, though.

Edited by Purkake

They implant a little black thing with a big red button in you, then just pull it out like a cork from a bottle and you die? From what, severe nipple tearing?

No really, what is that heartplug supposed to do?

Edited by Oner