Awesome/interesting games no one has heard of

Purkake

Techland doesn't list it amid its games - maybe it was never released?

True. Weird War (not related to the Weird War PnP RPG?) was intended as the sequel to Another War, but it was never released. Which is a pity, considering all the interesting stuff you heard about it :sorcerer:

Nope, not related to the Weird War PnP RPG as near as I can tell.

It is the destroyer of lives, if you don't put it down after the first hour you will be forever throwing Prinnies and upgrading your stuff to lvl 9999. There is no end save that which comes with the calm of the grave.

Its addictive. Very addictive.

I've found the recent NIS games too "fidlelly".

When you not only are worrying about leveling your characters but your equipment the game is expecting far, far too much investment of time for me.

That's the whole purpose. The game never ends.

The game never starts either, if I spend all my time going into a pit of eternal battle trying to level up my equipment so that I can take on the second story section of the game.

I like having options in games, but there is a case to be made that there can be too many options.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

...pity noone e'er mentions Vagrant Story; great PS1 game fer it's time... :sorcerer:

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

For any time, Sargy. It's one of the best games ever.

I really enjoyed Vagrant Story - always surprised it didn't do better sales wise and for some time it had a fairly low reputation.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Windows installation drives people crazy enough, no need to aggravate it.

*has never had problems installing Windows*

+1

I was talking about normal people, and not being entirely serious.

Also, try installing windows on a netbook from a flash drive.

Edited by Purkake

vagrant story is intensely hard and requires a huge amount of grinding to get through the game.

it also has a fantastic story and style which makes it worth the effort.

i can see why it never took off though, the extreme difficulty and grindy nature make it somewhat unpleasant for gamers who just want to play a game and not "work" at it.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I was talking about normal people, and not being entirely serious.

Also, try installing windows on a netbook from a flash drive.

'Normal people' don't try to install windows on a netbook from a flash drive. They either 1) buy a computer from a Best Buy or Dell.com and Windows comes preloaded, or 2) the take a Windows CD and stick it in the drive of their laptop or desktop then sit around while it installs.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

I really wouldn't do it again, just making a flash drive bootable is a pretty long and rocky road. I almost bricked my ASUS 1000H trying to get XP on it, but in the end I emerged victorious and with the the knowledge that using an external HDD is way easier.

Rune was a pretty awesome/interesting game since it was one of the very few games that made use of Germanic mythology succesfully & faithfully (compare it with crap like Asgard). It had interesting levels & an unexpected twist just before the ending.

Heavy Metal FAKK2 was pretty awesome/interesting too, with excellent levels & combat but way too short & a horrible cliffhanger ending. And then there's American McGee's Alice... probably the most sardonic game ever created.

It's amazing how many interesting action/adventure games came out around 2000.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Rune was a pretty awesome/interesting game since it was one of the very few games that made use of Germanic mythology succesfully & faithfully (compare it with crap like Asgard). It had interesting levels & an unexpected twist just before the ending.

Heavy Metal FAKK2 was pretty awesome/interesting too, with excellent levels & combat but way too short & a horrible cliffhanger ending. And then there's American McGee's Alice... probably the most sardonic game ever created.

It's amazing how many interesting action/adventure games came out around 2000.

Rune is pretty popular in multiplayer, AFAIK even today. The way the pros play is retarded though. (Either throw weapon or mid-air whirlwind attacks for beheading, nothing else.)

• 2 weeks later...
Incubation by Blue Bytes

A turn based tactical game where you have to help evacuate a mutant infested planet with your Judge Dredds. Hard, satisfying and hard.

Ah yes, Incubation, I remember playing that a long time ago. But it seriously kicked my butt. And I even enjoyed it!

Edit: Now that reminds me how awesome the Incubation soundtrack was. And does anybody know if this runs on Win 7?

Edited by Morgoth

Gaah! No not the incubation! I don't want to face 25HP (and fully regenerating next turn from 1 hp) things again. Focus fire on the bastard one turn, get flanked next and get a flood of crappy low hp bugs the other turn. It was sadisticly hard. And I finished it with full squad / no losses. (Well except for choosing to go after 2 stranded grunts and leaving the other mission where another grunt was defending defending an ammo dump. Wish I could have saved all three but alas :p I had to make a choice.

IG. We kick ass and not even take names.

Vectorman:

post-25516-1254434342_thumb.jpg

Fun platformer that was originally on Genesis, but can be played on PC under form of Sega Smash Pack (which also includes Golden Axe, Phantasy Star II & Sonic).

Vectorman....I haven't played you since my Genesis blacked out, oh Vectorman you ROCK!!!!!!!

Gaah! No not the incubation! I don't want to face 25HP (and fully regenerating next turn from 1 hp) things again. Focus fire on the bastard one turn, get flanked next and get a flood of crappy low hp bugs the other turn. It was sadisticly hard. And I finished it with full squad / no losses. (Well except for choosing to go after 2 stranded grunts and leaving the other mission where another grunt was defending defending an ammo dump. Wish I could have saved all three but alas :lol: I had to make a choice.

a4oihl.gif

Cyberia 2: Resurrection

post-26216-1254441335_thumb.jpg

It was a pre-rendered 3D adventure game with a lot of rail-shooting and puzzles. Awesome graphics for its time. I had just begun high school when I played it and thought 'wow the Major chick is totally hot'. I tried to get the original Cyberia but gave up after hearing the Major (forgot her name) was not in it.