What you did today

Gorth

At my employer's mandatory awful thrice-yearly All-Staff Away Day, I discovered that I am a plant.

"The Plant bears a strong resemblance to the popular caricature of the absentminded professor-inventor "

Why does that make me think of Walsingham? :sorcerer:

One more of my Samsung harddrives has decided to crash and burn on me, bad sectors popping up at an exponential rate. Unfortunately the which my C:\ drive resides on. Been busy saving what could be saved from other partitions and then it gets the kick. 3 Samsung drives, 3 drives that became unusable in less than 12 months. I can't even be bothered with the warranty anymore, they simply go to the rubbish bin. And I get the joy of reinstalling Windows. Maybe now is a good time to try out the version 7 RC :shifty:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

i'm in the mood for a new HDD, too. oddly, my 40 GB "backup" that's probably 6 or 7 years old is plugging along fine. it's just slow.

we're going camping tomorrow near collegiate peaks campground. john and i are probably hitting the road mid-afternoon or so (it's a 2-hour drive) which will put us at the actual site - about 2 miles before the campground - around 5 or so. just the two of us tomorrow night. we're going to set up the backpack tent and pretend like we're out in the wilderness somewhere and we hiked in to get there. we'll set up the big tent, too, since our goal is to reserve space for the other family that will meet us on friday. he's going to help me start the fire and we're going to roast hot dogs. yeah, nobody in their right mind would carry hot dogs on a camping trip, but he doesn't know that. :)

taks

comrade taks... just because.

i'm in the mood for a new HDD, too. oddly, my 40 GB "backup" that's probably 6 or 7 years old is plugging along fine. it's just slow.

They just don't make them like they used to :)

I've got an old Commodore Amiga with a 100Mb Seagate harddrive. 15 years later, the drive still runs without any hiccups.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

They just don't make them like they used to :)

I've got an old Commodore Amiga with a 100Mb Seagate harddrive. 15 years later, the drive still runs without any hiccups.

One of my wife's friends bought a 500GB HDD without checking to see if she had ata. She didn't and so I have it now. I feel bad that she wasted the money, but I won't look a give drive in the mouth. I just need to figure out if I want to use it for my primary drive or just have the extra storage there. it's not as fast as what I have now, though.

I can recommend Hitachi. They're a bit costly but they seemingly never die. Of course, I wouldn't really know that since I usually "upgrade" my hd's every second year or so.. But I usually give away my smaller, retired drives to friends and none of them has failed yet. Only the first drive I ever bought has died on me, but I don't know what brand it was, it was so long ago (I bought a computer package and not separate parts).

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Hitachi, makers of the 'deathstar'.

I'm not sure the differences are that great, I've heard horror stories from all kinds of manufacturers, including Western Digital and Seagate.

Maybe solid state technology will actually lead to something of a breakthrough in reliability.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

yes and no. SCSI drives operate at 10,000 rpm and i have heard they are no worse/better than IDE/ATA drives. my seagate is suffering increasing bad sector counts, which shouldn't have anything to do with the drive mechanism itself. maybe... dunno. not my specialty (though there are several drive manufacturers in colorado - lots of jobs in that industry, too).

john and i are packed. i've got some things i'm sort of waiting on before we head out for the campground. the weather is crappy today, but i've gottten so accustomed to wilderness adventures that rain and cold don't really phase me. it simply requires more waterproofing. unfortunately, john hates his waterproof boots, so he runs around in his shoes and gets them soaked.

oh, and hurlie, i've got a 6-pack of cutthroat porter and a 6-pack of laughing lab going into the cooler. since we're only going to be 10 miles from buena vista, which is large enough to have an actual grocery store, i can always run into town when (not if) i need more! let me know if you want me to mail some of the porter to you. they changed all the interstate liquor laws a while back and it is legal to do so now. :*

taks

Of course, I wouldn't really know that since I usually "upgrade" my hd's every second year or so..

i usually rotate on 3-4 year cycles, but the one that is dying is only 2 years old.

But I usually give away my smaller, retired drives to friends and none of them has failed yet.

i rotate my hardware into the rest of my family's systems. i was just planning my next upgrade (core i7, so i need an almost complete overhaul) and realized that i'll probably end up with more computers than bodies to operate them. my son rarely uses his, and my wife is happy enough with hers, so i'm not sure what i'm going to do. john will get my copy of XP, however, since he's running 2k and it has issues with his websites (which is why he doesn't use it).

taks

oh, and hurlie, i've got a 6-pack of cutthroat porter and a 6-pack of laughing lab going into the cooler. since we're only going to be 10 miles from buena vista, which is large enough to have an actual grocery store, i can always run into town when (not if) i need more! let me know if you want me to mail some of the porter to you. they changed all the interstate liquor laws a while back and it is legal to do so now. >_<

taks

Thanks for the offer! I could probably just order it online though, so don't worry about putting yourself out. I'm actually thinking about subscribing to a beer of the month club or something, I really like trying a good variety of stuff.

"The Plant bears a strong resemblance to the popular caricature of the absentminded professor-inventor "

Why does that make me think of Walsingham? :p

I'm not a fething absent minded professor, thank you. Feudal retainer, possibly.

Bad news today. My mum's liver failure has accelerated and it turns out (though we weren't told) that cancer is in her stomach. Thanks, chaps.

Overall I'm getting pretty pissed off with how the medics seem to see this as a beaureaucratic exercise, and not as a fight for survival. Information isn't being shared, plans aren't being oriented on said information, and there is a total absence of 'can do' spirit.

Off tomorrow to the parental abode. In all honesty, probably for the last time.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I swear if I ever get cancer I'm going to hamster away a means to do myself in with no pain, morphine or something, just in case.

My stepmother who nursed my father was/is a nurse, so she was on the inside track. It made it easier for him to decide to give up on the chemo, and also getting straight answers from the doctors.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I fixed my garage door opener. My wife said to me, "you the man." Talk about language changing. She would not have said that before World of Warcraft. I mean, she was kind of joking, but still. (About using that phrase. I am, in reality, a man. Perhaps the man.)

Yes, it was the remote, but it wasn't really broken. I just needed to reset it. Just press the buttons in the right order and you're good. The irony is she wasn't there when water got in the sensor and screwed it up. I had to take it off the mount, open it, let the water out, put it on the back patio to dry, then remount it. That was a pain, at least for someone who is self taught all of his home repairs.

Yes, it was the remote, but it wasn't really broken. I just needed to reset it. Just press the buttons in the right order and you're good. The irony is she wasn't there when water got in the sensor and screwed it up. I had to take it off the mount, open it, let the water out, put it on the back patio to dry, then remount it. That was a pain, at least for someone who is self taught all of his home repairs.

Dude, garage doors are interesting to fix, I had to do a LOT of tweaking to get it recalibrated to close properly.

That said, if you're THE MAN should we fear you for oppressing us?

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Wrong 'the man.' I'm like the awesome man, not the fuzz.

Anyhow, I've had to tweak my garage door over the years, change out springs on the old one, which is a bitch to do, I assure you. Nothing like owning a house to encourage you to learn how to fix things.

I swear if I ever get cancer I'm going to hamster away a means to do myself in with no pain, morphine or something, just in case.

My stepmother who nursed my father was/is a nurse, so she was on the inside track. It made it easier for him to decide to give up on the chemo, and also getting straight answers from the doctors.

If it were me, I'd volunteer for mine disposal. Face first on big IEDs.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Got back from touring some colleges... and proceeded to pop Mass Effect into the disk drive... I love that thing...

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

I've been very busy lately. With work, my side business, plus I've been working on writing a book. I started gathering research material when I was laid up earlier this year. Last month I actually started writing. I thought it would ne easy. It is not. Anyway, the book is about Dog Rescue and the people who do it.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Ahhh i just movwed into my on caMPUS RESIDENCE. And I have - 302$ internet credit!!!1 but i am sysadmin so i can still access lols.

I just walked home with a very nice girl andf we were holdng hands and stuff aww and but i'm very drunk and she's very drunk and i don't know what tomorrow brings. :p Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhrg have to find her on face bookj.

****, why I am I so anxious? ****ing I made a pact with myself that i woiulddn't pick up at pubss. dammi9t.

Bleh, stop being nervous. You meet people wherever they may be, and sometimes you can even meet most fascinating person that you have ever known in a place that you never thought that you would meet one.

Stop restricting yourself with arbitrary rules and enjoy the chaotic and wonderful thing called life.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy