Dragon Age

Gorth

Nonsense. Elves are the best thing in a fantasy setting.

Dragon Age looks promising something I will have to get when I can afford it.

Nonsense, Dark Elves are the best. Well, the sexy Lineage 2 versions at least.

Hey, I'd rather not have elves. I like 'em well enough. I just think it would be refreshing to have a fantasy game without them. ...But I'm actually leaning a little towards getting the game. Probably not on release, but it really helps to get my disappointments out of the way early. That way, I go in knowing what I'm getting and it usually makes me very happy with what I get. haha

I suspect that like Fallout 3, many posters will have trouble considering this a good RPG, but a large number of us will buy it because it's still better than the alternatives.

Personally, I like BioWare. I enjoy interacting with their deveopers. I like playing their games and I believe have all of them. I understand BioWare games fail to reach an ideal of RPGness, but 1) I play PnP, so no cRPG reaches my ideal, 2) I read a great deal of fantasy, and every few weeks I get a non-Tolkien setting, and 3) I like elves, which are difficult to find outside cRPGs or DnD.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Well its not like you can play as a dragon.

I'm only back briefly. Using a friends computer.

But what if you could? Think of the possibilities!

Hope you get internet soon :(

In the E3 promo vid we've seen a mage transforming into a huge spider and another transforming into a dragon... so maybe it will be a spell that can be learnt by specializing in conjuration magic.

It would be a definite plus to the game, but maybe too cool to be true.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

I get the feeling that we're arguing two different sides, MC, and I don't want that at all. It's not that I refuse to argue with folks, and I'd be a liar if I said I never did. It's just that you needn't defend DA to me. I'm clearly not as much of a Bioware fan as some folks in this thread, but I do enjoy many of their games and have owned a majority of them.

Since you brought up Fallout 3, I like it even though I didn't agree with specific design decisions and I suspect the same will be true for DA. I don't have to get my way in every way. I just want something I can sit back and enjoy. If DA provides that, it won't really matter what I theoretically want or don't want before I play it.

Since I'm going the campfire singing and holding hands route, I will add that I tend to listen to most folks generally when considering purchases. I also read your opinions regarding games carefully as well. Take from that what you will.

Oh, it's an Aristes' thing. Any exchange of ideas must be an argument. haha

Anyhow, this has served to whet my appetite for DA. Strange, almost the exact same thing happened with FO3. I read Killian's report and then I saw that Hell Kitty liked it. I had been tepid on the title before that and then figured I'd give it a shot. I'm very glad indeed.

I'm clearly not as much of a Bioware fan as some folks in this thread,

There are fans of BioWare in this thread? Could've fooled me :-

Seriously, some of the Bio-butthurt I read on here makes me do a double-take to make sure I'm not at the Codex.

hahaha Good Lord. Bio-butthurt. That's funny. I don't know. There are several folks who seem to be anti-Dragon Age, but most of them even say they plan on buying it at release. I don't plan on buying it straightaway, but I will buy it as soon as I get some good word from my fellow forum monkeys.

I just like to complain about the little things that could have been. :-

But I am looking forward to Dragon Age tremendously. I've been itching to play a swords and sorcery game with a strong narrative and I'll no doubt enjoy DA:O despite my little complaints.

I want to play a Dwarven commoner that shirks responsibility as much as possible.

"There are several folks who seem to be anti-Dragon Age, but most of them even say they plan on buying it at release."

THAT is the Codex Defined.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Oh, it's an Aristes' thing. Any exchange of ideas must be an argument. haha

Anyhow, this has served to whet my appetite for DA. Strange, almost the exact same thing happened with FO3. I read Killian's report and then I saw that Hell Kitty liked it. I had been tepid on the title before that and then figured I'd give it a shot. I'm very glad indeed.

Excellent. My plan shall soon be complete...

According to the Bible, snakes can disrupt immortality by chatting with them.

is not how we recall. defy God is how immortality got disrupted... if had stopped with listening to snake chatter...

in any event, aristes is understandably confused. listen to Biowarians for 5 minutes and you get notions that DA is gonna be different on virtual every level: setting, rulez, character develop, thematic (Mature & Dark,) etc. the thing is, if you listen to Bio for 5 hours or 5 days, then you hear, "dark, but not too dark." is DA tolkienesque? sure, and more than intended. pretty much any setting that gots elves, dwarves and humans as major races, coupled with a Terrible Evil is gonna invoke the spirit o' tolkien, no? 'course it turns out that the biowarians didn't honest know the tolkien origin for orcs, so the parallels were a bit more pronounced than they realized. regardless, weren't as if setting were meant to be complete original. ps:t failed in part 'cause it were too unfamiliar. black isle coulda' very easily made a ps:t game that utilized same death mechanics, themes, basic plot, and recognizable same characters... but place in a more familiar setting. wouldn't actually have been planescape, but it woulda' sold better. you not think bio listen and learn from ps:t feedback?

likewise, biowarians is no doubt familiar with nwn persistent worlds. honest take a look at the characters people create for the pws. am particularly recalling the pw developments Before nwn were actual released. what we saw from the pws were a disturbing parade o' overused archetypes. maybe you has heard Gromnir reference alfa in the past? were possibly the single most ambitious nwn pw project... literal thousands o' applicants. alfa required applicants to submit a character bio and concept along with their alfa application... were s'posed attempting to attract serious role-players. *groan* accepted members, of which there were many hundreds, had their character concepts and bios posted in the alfa character bank. you know what those hundereds o' serious role-players came up with? 'tween 80-90% o' alfa characters were cliche/archetype. left to own devices, serious role-players is a bunch o' unimaginative hacks. even so, Bio ain't in the business o' education... they is in the business o' entertainment. take your customers as you find 'em. aristes may not like to hear, but Most crpg fans wanna play one o' a handful o' familiar archetypes. is reason bio comes up with Origins.

bio developers, from very start, claimed that they were gonna do different. the thing is that most people didn't stick around to hear what bio meant by "different." is understandable that aristes and others didn't wanna stick 'round for bio dog n' pony show... wade through the bio-board crap were probable equal unappealing. nevertheless, those folks who did listen and watch learned that bio were not intending to rebuild the crpg genre. bio were pretty up front and honest that they were Not attempting to reinvent the wheel. bio planned from very start to meet player expectations... give players what they wanted, while at same time they were gonna make more dark and more mature and more... different, but not too different. can't realize player expectations and be too different, can you?

unlike bio, Gromnir starts from position that if you give folks what they ask for, they is gonna be disappointed. folks can only ask for what they know, but what they genuine want is to be pleasant surprised. folks ultimate want to have their expectations and assumptions redefined. even so, a smart developer that is looking for commercial success probable ain't so much interested in redefining expectations. if a developer can earn money by following formula and embracing conventions, then what motivation is there to risk originality? bio made clear from start that their DA originality were gonna be tempered and limited. if aristes got wrong impression it is understandable, but can't blame bio for the misunderstanding. yeah, bio said they would do different, but they also spent the last +5 years explaining that their "different" weren't same as aristes "different."

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

is not how we recall. defy God is how immortality got disrupted... if had stopped with listening to snake chatter...

Which boils down to talking to snakes and then eating apples will strip one of immortality.

The Dalish have a legend that at one time they were in paradise but when they began to interact with humanity, they lost their immortality and their gods abandoned them. It's part of their mythology; mythology and folklore is full of illogical occurrences. Eat six seeds and you have to stay in the underworld for half the year. Look at your wife at the wrong time and she will transform into a swan and leave you. Kill a serpent and your land will be flooded.

The Dalish believe they were once a great people beloved of the god. Now they live under humans. They have a story where contact with humans cause them to lose their immortality. We don

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Which boils down to talking to snakes and then eating apples will strip one of immortality.

you have an intriguing notion of "boils down." the boils down = defy god and you get punished. chatting with a snake not have no immediate or even secondary results.

Galileo: looking at the stars will get you imprisoned

Mark Twain: working on a riverboat will make you a great writer

Sir Issac Newton: falling fruit is the key to scientific discovery

bad logic is ok when being funny... but if you ain't funny...

gotta know your strengths.

and for a person seeming no longer having positive expectations regarding DA, you sure spends considerable effort educating folks 'bout the game. nothing wrong with such behavior, but is a little odd. am recalling a girl that dumped us in college. s'posed Gromnir weren't spending 'nuff time with her, or somesuch nonsense. sadly, the woman had some strange notions 'bout break-ups, 'cause in spite o' her being the dumper rather than the dumpee, we still got daily phone calls and accidental visits 'n such. were... disconcerting. am wondering if bio feels same.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I'm clearly not as much of a Bioware fan as some folks in this thread,

There are fans of BioWare in this thread? Could've fooled me :)

Seriously, some of the Bio-butthurt I read on here makes me do a double-take to make sure I'm not at the Codex.

You are Dave Gaider and I claim my twenty Canadian Dollars :)

sonsofgygax.JPG

Or alternatively, cranial trauma is the key to scientific discovery! :lol:

This is my first time commenting on Dragon Age, and my comment is simply: I don't know.

I've seen interesting things, I've seen stupid things. This game feels slightly schizophrenic to me. I don't know if it'll be good, decent or bad. I still have some slight faith in Bioware left though, and they can do the basic fantasy setting pretty well so I guess I'll probably enjoy it.

Or alternatively, cranial trauma is the key to scientific discovery! :lol:

The line between genius and insanity is thin indeed, so maybe there is truth to this. :D

you have an intriguing notion of "boils down." the boils down = defy god and you get punished. chatting with a snake not have no immediate or even secondary results.

Galileo: looking at the stars will get you imprisoned

Mark Twain: working on a riverboat will make you a great writer

bad logic is ok when being funny... but if you ain't funny...

You're right Gromnir, when you just present a collection of events without any meaning or wider context they tend to look ridiculous. I wonder if this observation ties into what I was saying about the contents of that particular elven legend: Elves have immortality. Elves and humans interact. Elves lose immortality. Elves say humans have something to do with this.

But no, that would mean that my response to a post has something to with the post itself. It's much easier to believe that I decided to randomly begin talking about the evils of snakes.

Edited by Maria Caliban