What are you playing now?

Gorth

I suspect that a big reason why the E3 videos didn't affect me as much as others is because I had already played the game some.

Yeah those were pretty awful, I think the marketing team needs to be reminded that hipsters and elves don't go hand in hand. No matter how much advertising money you throw at it.

Edited by Syraxis

I might make a copy of my saved game, install the game over on my wife's computer, play past the glitch on her XP system, and then switch it back to my own. Really have to say this sucks, though.

When I played the game on my XBox, I there were several areas where the box just shut down over and over again. It's the only game I've played on a console that does that and it is mighty irritating when you only have save points.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

I'm playing Arcanum alongside my Purgatorio playtesting.

For all its flaws, Arcanum really is a great game. Also, while the plot is disappointingly linear, it's also quite interesting. An interesting take on the tired "Chosen One" theme, it's just so nice since the main quest involves stuff like research as well. Putting the pieces together. It's also nice that the lore of the world actually feels important to the story.

And I just love quests like where you get to negotiate Caladon joining the Unified Kingdom and all that, it's awesome.

The random encounters really makes me go bonkers though.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Well, here's the sucky part. I'm at the place where you use the ships gun to kill people on the beach. Sadly, there are no people on the beach. According to what I've found on the 'net, there is no way past this without downloading a saved game. Since I don't want to download someone else's saved game, I guess I won't finish Dark Corners. I'm going to try monkeying around with the resolution and anti-aliasing later just to see what I can do.
On the Xbox version, they were just lights, not people. Or did you not get the lights either?

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Well, here's the sucky part. I'm at the place where you use the ships gun to kill people on the beach. Sadly, there are no people on the beach. According to what I've found on the 'net, there is no way past this without downloading a saved game. Since I don't want to download someone else's saved game, I guess I won't finish Dark Corners. I'm going to try monkeying around with the resolution and anti-aliasing later just to see what I can do.

On of the hosts on Rebel FM gameclub had the same problem. I think he ended up randomly shooting until he finally did it, if you buckle up in time you can try it as long as it takes(I think). Also you DO know that you are supposed to shoot at glowy dots and not real people, right?

It's also pretty silly to give up on a nice game just like that. Pretty much everybody said that it had bugs up the ass in the CoC thread.

EDIT: Here's a

of someone doing it on youtube. Edited by Purkake

Yeah, I did get past that part. I mentioned how I did it on the last page, but to recap, the island never zoomed in and the lights never appeared. So I shot randomly, but no go. Then I looked up some screen shots and they didn't help. Then I looked up the youtube video and, after several more tries, I got it. The controls on the bloody gun are terrible! This was much worse than the bookcase that I could never move by pushing it forward and only managed to work around by facing the opposite direction and pushing with my back so my game didn't crash. Yeah, that one only took me an hour to figure out.

Forget the bugs. Some of the design decisions on Dark Corners are insane. By that, I mean gibbering while drooling on your shirt insane. Nevertheless, I'm absolutely amazed at how well they managed to capture Lovecraft's setting. It leaves me jonsin' for more. I'll probably finish it tonight sometime. I'm on Devil's Reef and it really feels like things are coming to a head.

Yeah, I did get past that part. I mentioned how I did it on the last page, but to recap, the island never zoomed in and the lights never appeared. So I shot randomly, but no go. Then I looked up some screen shots and they didn't help. Then I looked up the youtube video and, after several more tries, I got it. The controls on the bloody gun are terrible! This was much worse than the bookcase that I could never move by pushing it forward and only managed to work around by facing the opposite direction and pushing with my back so my game didn't crash. Yeah, that one only took me an hour to figure out.

Forget the bugs. Some of the design decisions on Dark Corners are insane. By that, I mean gibbering while drooling on your shirt insane. Nevertheless, I'm absolutely amazed at how well they managed to capture Lovecraft's setting. It leaves me jonsin' for more. I'll probably finish it tonight sometime. I'm on Devil's Reef and it really feels like things are coming to a head.

Great that you got past it. The game was pretty much hit and miss with me, but at least they did the Lovecraft thing well.

Don't forget to watch the extended ending if you don't get it normally!

EDIT: Have you got the gun to the head thing yet? You get it when you go too insane and have a gun out.

Edited by Purkake

I've got to 'part two' of overlord. This and Prince of Persia has to be my favorite puzzle action game. They've added some grind elements (kill 1,000 gnomes. Kill or enslave 100 townsfolk) but I still find it wildly fun. Somehow sending my minions after a helpless townsperson and then bending them to my evil will never gets boring.

It also helps because the more people you have enslaved, the more money and weapons they create for you.

I'm also wondering what the consequences of the choices I make are. I let one man become mayor. I didn't let another man sleep with my first mistress. I bent the townspeople to my will instead of burning the tar pits. So I guess it's an action puzzle with a little bit of RPG thrown in as well.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Hubby came home, I told him I'd bought Overlord 2. He said "Where's my pc gamepad?"

...I have a feeling he's going to be hogging the better pc/big TV tonight, so I might not get to play until later. Hehe...but I don't mind. I can watch him get 'lost' and giggle when he curses the game.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Picked up Haze for the heck of it.

only played a bit but it's like reviewers said, generic with a single point of differentiation with the drug aspect. The drugs don't really offer much and a good fpser could get through without touching the mechanic.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

In a bit of a gaming hiatus, the only thing that looks appealing at the moment is Overlord 2 which I might pick up next week.

I re-installed Sacred and am enjoying twitchy hacknslash fun and detailed but old-skool graphics. The horses are cool too. Have really got into it, in fact it's making me really excited about Diablo 3.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

Worms Armageddon. just so i'll be good again when the new worms hit PC again \o/ ( no i'm not playing it on X360 just because it'll be out on July1, PC is the way to go :D)

1.13 killed off Ja2.

I'm playing Ghostbusters: The Video Game these days. The PS3 version (due to my European heritage).

Its really fun but it looks aweful and has a lot of framerate problems. The fact that it has most of the original cast attached to the game makes up for it.

Re: Overlord 2

Played a little while, only up to where I find the red minions, but haven't grabbed the red hive yet. I'm kinda stuck, I can't seem to kill the 3 plant babes blocking the big elf statue. The reds burn them over and over, but they never actually die so the roots still block the path to statue. Is there a trick to it or am I bugged? >_<

So far, OL2 has the same minion humor aspect I like, but 2 mild annoyances: there's a lot more loading screens and the minions seem less intelligent...like when I direct them to pillage boxes/kill they do so but most of the time don't auto-bring back the lifeforce or treasure w/out me sending them out over the area again. That said...I do like it...hopefully it'll grow on me as I go along and as I get used to the 'new stuff'. As I recall, the 1st one took quite some time to truly engage me, as well...like once you have 3 of the 4 minion types. Getting the 2nd minion type still feels like I'm in a too-restrictive tutorial, to me. :(

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I set the wheat on fire and it killed them.

I also just finished the 'kill 1000 gnomes' quest. There's no reward. I figured such a blatent grind would get me *something* but it's like those collect X insignia quests in Mass Effect.

I've picked up Gothic 3. Again. Main reason for doing so is that I added another GB of RAM to my system. It plays smoothly now, and thanks to the Community Patch 1.7.2 melee A.I. is significantly improved (though the game is much harder), plus the character system was tweaked and balanced a bit as well. It's amazing how much work the community packed into this patch. Kudos to them!

"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes

I set the wheat on fire and it killed them.

I also just finished the 'kill 1000 gnomes' quest. There's no reward. I figured such a blatent grind would get me *something* but it's like those collect X insignia quests in Mass Effect.

I had placed the reds in a group up top and made the plant babes chase me until the reds started firing. The wheat burned, but they just hibernate & come alive again. The wheat didn't come back upon reload save game but the creatures did move back to original positions upon reload so maybe it'll work this time...

Things like kill the gnomes are 'achievements'...I don't think they do anything but give you score points & maybe titles, so at the end of the game you can pat yourself on the back for having done them all. Kind of like WoW did, maybe.

Edited by LadyCrimson

Weird, the wheat came back this time. But it's still not working. They just hibernate and come back over and over and over... :(

Kill Gnomes? I like the sound of that. Does that game have a demo? :)

...dreams of killing 1000's of Jan Jansens...

Maybe something where the player can cause a blight on the turnip harvest too?

Playing a bit of Dead Space. Managed to get myself killed repeatedly onboard the military "rescue" vessel, playing tetris with the bunks :(

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Ok, got past it. Didn't understand the plant pod...from the 1st possession bit, thought you had to kill the dryads first. Heh.

I like being able to see your minions individually in the minion home...and definitely like being able to resurrect your fave/most buff minions. In the 1st game I had this one minion w/a gold helmet & sceptor that I kept alive the whole time, reloading if he died. Now I don't have to reload. Awesome.

Finishing Iron Storm. The setting, atmosphere and characters are absolutely mind-blowing awesome. Sadly, the gameplay is not quite as spectacular. I resorted to a walkthrough, since I don't want to waste my time with confusing layouts any longer.

I've picked up Gothic 3. Again. Main reason for doing so is that I added another GB of RAM to my system. It plays smoothly now, and thanks to the Community Patch 1.7.2 melee A.I. is significantly improved (though the game is much harder), plus the character system was tweaked and balanced a bit as well. It's amazing how much work the community packed into this patch. Kudos to them!

What are you playing it on? I've got a gtx275 and 2 gigs of ram and it still loved to hang out in the sub-30 fps range. Which isn't too much of a problem, but it felt more jittery about it than polite society would dictate necessary.

Ah well, I didn't even care for the game too much so I don't know why I need to run it perfectly anyway.