What are you playing now?

Gorth

Let's face it: Bioware doesn't want to show too much of their game because they fear it might not get so glorious receptions. And if there's one thing Bio can't stand, then it's critique for their work.

Isn't Obs showing the same trainyard level of AP over and over again? In fact, both companies made very similar trailers. CGI trailer? Check. Level walkthrough? Check. Dialogue/origin trailer? Check. Boss battle? Check. Interviews? Check.

IMO, we got the most info about the games these two companies make.

Agreed, which is certainly what I have noticed.

Some of the criticisms levied toward Dragon Age just strike me as unusual (or even nonsensical). I actually like their remarketing of the game with respect to the blood dragon and so forth, though I do agree that the romance scene demonstrated is an unusual part of the game.

Let's face it: Bioware doesn't want to show too much of their game because they fear it might not get so glorious receptions. And if there's one thing Bio can't stand, then it's critique for their work.

Isn't Obs showing the same trainyard level of AP over and over again? In fact, both companies made very similar trailers. CGI trailer? Check. Level walkthrough? Check. Dialogue/origin trailer? Check. Boss battle? Check. Interviews? Check.

IMO, we got the most info about the games these two companies make.

Everything I've seen about AP is focused on the gameplay, how choices affect things later, how the dialogue system works.

Dragon Age's trailers were awful Marilyn Manson music over top of a "Gore and Sex Reel" while some NPC screams about WAR! LOYALTY! TONIGHT WE DINE IN HELL! SOLDIER CLICHE #41b! In fact, it seemed like they were trying to HIDE gameplay-specific information to the best of their ability.

Everything I've seen about AP is focused on the gameplay, how choices affect things later, how the dialogue system works.

Dragon Age's trailers were awful Marilyn Manson music over top of a "Gore and Sex Reel" while some NPC screams about WAR! LOYALTY! TONIGHT WE DINE IN HELL! SOLDIER CLICHE #41b! In fact, it seemed like they were trying to HIDE gameplay-specific information to the best of their ability.

What you described now were like 2-3 trailers out of ...*counts*... 30? Watch all of them before saying stuff like that, like I did, ok?

What you described now were like 2-3 trailers out of ...*counts*... 30? Watch all of them before saying stuff like that, like I did, ok?

A lot of the older Dragon Age media contains a rich amount of gameplay information that does seem incredibly promising. But what I'm talking about is how that's all gone awa and changedy, especially in and around E3 (the e3 set 4 monhts before the game is released, as well!)

It just seems that because they've changed their "company line" on the game so late in development it could be indicative of a change in design fundamentals. And considering the low quality and embarassing nature of what they're showing the press this close to release, it's cause for concern.

Playing some Overlord: Raising Hell.

Its a pretty fun game. I like sweeping my little minions about creating havoc. I tend to not be able to play evil characters in games, but something about this game makes me want to kill everythng in sight.

I think its the voice acting and constant nagging of the villagefolk.

A lot of the older Dragon Age media contains a rich amount of gameplay information that does seem incredibly promising. But what I'm talking about is how that's all gone awa and changedy, especially in and around E3 (the e3 set 4 monhts before the game is released, as well!)

It just seems that because they've changed their "company line" on the game so late in development it could be indicative of a change in design fundamentals. And considering the low quality and embarassing nature of what they're showing the press this close to release, it's cause for concern.

Given the closeness of the release date, they could just as easily be giving demonstrations like that simply to try to build hype and excitement for the game. If the gameplay hasn't changed a whole lot from previous videos, then there's little benefit to showing the same gameplay footage. Showing the dragon fight and whatnot is something new, and something that will get game players talking about the game as they head into release.

You state that the E3 material is low quality and embarrassing, yet much of the feedback I'm aware of had Dragon Age being one of the big things about E3.

You claim that the only thing they've gotten since E3 is criticism, but that doesn't seem to be the case. The game was nominated by Game Critics Awards for Best PC Game and Best RPG for E3.

For all intents and purposes, the feedback from E3 for Dragon's Age seems to be quite positive.

I can understand being cautious, especially given the rather lengthy time in development (it's tough not to be somewhat jaded as a result. I was), but add these things with other comments about how Morrigan's voice actor was poor because she couldn't do a very good British accent, when in fact the voice being used IS the voice actor's actual voice, seems like you're starting to nitpick for the sake of nitpicking.

Edited by alanschu

I can understand being cautious, especially given the rather lengthy time in development (it's tough not to be somewhat jaded as a result. I was)

Whenever I think back at an old screenshot with a shirtless guy in blue pants and two knives, I feel happy they took their time.

It's not the long development time, I have no idea how long it's been in development. So yeah, skeptical. But not impatient.

It's mostly the cheesy rock music, the focus of the trailers on very superficial things, and I don't think it's nitpicky to say that the voice acting made me cringe. Maybe "fake british accent" was the incorrect way to put it, but it definitely seemed like the actress was putting on a forced, stereotypicaly "middle ages fantasy genre girl" character voice instead of acting naturally.

BG2

first playthrough in well over a year and i've decided to go for a small party of characters i've hardly used before

so far it's

me (inquisitor)

cernd

haer'dalis

valygar

pondering dloading some mods, but not really sure about some of the character ones - most sound rather.... bad

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

Its a pretty fun game. I like sweeping my little minions about creating havoc. I tend to not be able to play evil characters in games, but something about this game makes me want to kill everythng in sight.

I was just wondering how this game was? Are you playing it for the PC or PS3? I was thinking of picking it up for the PS3, but had heard about a lot of framerate issues.

Recently, I just started a game of Red Faction: Guerilla and may start some Burnout Paradise.

Some of the criticisms levied toward Dragon Age just strike me as unusual (or even nonsensical). I actually like their remarketing of the game with respect to the blood dragon and so forth, though I do agree that the romance scene demonstrated is an unusual part of the game.

The re-marketing might make commercial sense but what strikes me as interesting is the downgrading of the whole origin story / RP aspect of the game. Why was that?

sonsofgygax.JPG

I was just wondering how this game was? Are you playing it for the PC or PS3? I was thinking of picking it up for the PS3, but had heard about a lot of framerate issues.

Recently, I just started a game of Red Faction: Guerilla and may start some Burnout Paradise.

I'm playing on the PS3 and haven't noticed any framerate issues. The game runs pretty smoothly from what I can tell and I currently have 35 minions running around.

The gameplay itself is pretty fun. I haven't played anything comparable but I've heard its like Pikmin if you ever played that. Basically you're the new Overlord of Evil and you have 4 types of minions, each with their special abilities. You control the minions to take your revenge on some heroes that killed the previous Overlord but you can pretty much play as a good guy too.

Most of the game centers on first getting the different minions and then using them to work your way through various levels, opening doors, solving puzzles, killing things, etc. I personally like the puzzles presented to me so far. My favorite has to be a makeshift game of break'em with your minions controlling a cart of food and having an obese hobbit bounce off it.

There is some humor thrown in as the devs make fun of the basic fantasy staples such as the hungry halfing, greedy dwarf, emo elves etc.

All in all, a pretty solid game.

Tried some madden...

Learned I have a lot to learn... I'm guessing I'll be at "pro" level after a couple of serious hours with it.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

and I don't think it's nitpicky to say that the voice acting made me cringe.

No not when it deserved.

Maybe "fake british accent" was the incorrect way to put it, but it definitely seemed like the actress was putting on a forced, stereotypicaly "middle ages fantasy genre girl" character voice instead of acting naturally.

:)

For the last time, its not forced. Thats her voice, now if you said you don't like her voice or that you don't think it was a fit for the character, thats different and I would agree.

The re-marketing might make commercial sense but what strikes me as interesting is the downgrading of the whole origin story / RP aspect of the game. Why was that?

I'm guess the EA marketing team decided it wasn't interesting enough, they thought sex and violence will sell more. I however don't understand why they don't show something similar to origin stories or RP aspects of the game to stop people hyperventilating, because they think in 2 months the game has been completely redesigned into a Dragon Age: Virtual S*x or Dragon Age: God of Ferelden.

All in all, a pretty solid game.

I agree and looking forward to the sequel, which is released in 3 days.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

I'll need you to elaborate. What was downgraded?

Everytime I'm bored I just come back to Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge. It cost me 4$, its 5 years old, but its miles more fun than anything else I've played. Really an underated game that definitly could use a sequel... but not that Dark Void ****.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Playing Advent Rising. It's kinda hard to describe. I'm not even sure if it's running as intended on my PC, because frankly, it behaves strange. In one cutscene the textures are low res, then in another, they're much higher. In vehicle sections, I can barely hear anything because of the unbearably loud motor noise. The game is supposed to be written by Orson Scott Card, but it's crap.

At the beginning of the game, you choose to save your brother, or your girlfriend. I chose the latter, and after escaping the planet on some woman's ship, suddenly she disappears from 90% of the cutscenes, barely says anything, even when she damn well should be there (like when the main char is relaxing after ESPer training sessions). Then later, she just *poof*, dies, and not 5 hours later the PC almost confesses his love to the earlier mentioned captain. WHAT. THE. HELL.

But apart from that, it's pretty fun, but only in small quantities. Playing longer then 2-3 hours makes the game rather boring.