FO: NV

I totally agree about radiation. In FO3 radiation is not even an inconvenience; it's just a minor thing that results in some busywork of downing a radaway periodically. I would much orefer it more like STALKER, where even a small amount of radiation causes sigificant ongoing helath loss if you are not protected and where large amounts of radiation will pretty much kill your character almost instantly unless you have substantial protection.

For all the gameplay signficance radiation provides in FO3, it could have just been left out altogther without losing much.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

For all the gameplay signficance radiation provides in FO3, it could have just been left out altogther without losing much.

After 200+ years (FO3) wouldnt the radiation have reduced to almost nothing?

The FEV virus clung to the radiation particles making them do whatever needs to be done to retain the setting (they also harderened wood structures) *exposition problems flutter away*

Radiation in Fallout 1 + 2 was pretty rare. The only time I remember worrying about it was when entering the Glow and even then I had enough resistance and drugs to play several bouts of chess with a computer. Asside from some pretty specific instances it really didn't play much of a role.

Radiation in Fallout 1 + 2 was pretty rare. The only time I remember worrying about it was when entering the Glow and even then I had enough resistance and drugs to play several bouts of chess with a computer. Asside from some pretty specific instances it really didn't play much of a role.

That reminds me: 6th toe. :sorcerer:

I totally agree about radiation. In FO3 radiation is not even an inconvenience; it's just a minor thing that results in some busywork of downing a radaway periodically. I would much orefer it more like STALKER, where even a small amount of radiation causes sigificant ongoing helath loss if you are not protected and where large amounts of radiation will pretty much kill your character almost instantly unless you have substantial protection.

This. Definitely.

Also, I think doctor skill could well be re-introduced. Working similiar as in Fallout 1 and 2, but to make settlement doctors (should there be any in F:NV) at least somewhat more useful than only being drugbanks and occasional addictionhealers, healing limbs could be perk-enabled. Either questspecific or through leveling (with adequate requirements of course).

But for heavens sake no more healing cripples with stims or by sleeping.

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

I sort of like what Fallout 3 did with radiation. In the old games it always felt like there were some really interesting gameplay mechanics there that were never taken advantage of. I like the different levels of radiation and the stat penalties.

However, the radiated areas/items were never dangerous enough to warrant even 1/20th of the amount of anti-rad chems you get. And the only areas where the radiation drugs would've been useful (like Vault 87 and Project Purity) they didn't work because [no reason given]

However, the radiated areas/items were never dangerous enough to warrant even 1/20th of the amount of anti-rad chems you get.

That's pretty much how I see it as well.

If radiation is a concern for the player make it a concern for the player, make it signifcant. Otherwise just leave it out.

If Fallout 3 had simply left out radiation, radaway, radx, and radiation suits would the game have been affected noticeably? WOuld the gameplay have changed? I would say no. It's just busywork for the player.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Something that also needs to return is the burnout period after a chem wears off. Also addiction was way too easy to shed in fallut 3.

This. I miss the brilliant junky simulation from fallout 1 & 2 as opposed to generic potions-that-get-you-addicted-and-you-lose-hit-points in fallout 3.

I wish drugs in fallout:new vegas work the same way as in fallout 1&2, with withdrawal effects and whatnot.

Are you sure that was the game? :sorcerer:

I don't care about addicted status in Fallout 3. I've recently played Fallout again and the biggest difference is the chem sign at the bottom. Yes, it affects gameplay more, but it's fairly trivial even in Fallout and Fallout 2. I've been really enjoying my runs through the original game again and I think it is superior to Fallout 3. The problem is, the things that make it superior in my mind are simply out of the question design-wise for FO:NV.

Limiting the number of stims you can carry would be a dumb idea. It's been pretty well established by now that stims are weightless, and there's no good reason at all to say "you can only carry 50 of these" without adding weight. All you can do without making the game plainly dumb and arbitrary is make stimpacks harder to come by (although inevitably, by the time you hit high levels there isn't anything that is hard to come by) Stims have been plentiful in all the other games, but F:NV is taking place in a new setting, so that gives them a certain bit of leeway. Stimpacks were incredibly common and durable prewar tech. The devs will have to come up with a good reason why there would be supply problems.

Another possibility is to introduce alternate means of healing. Make stims relatively common but expensive enough to make getting a stim a zero-sum proposition, and have them provide a considerable, immediate benefit. Then provide other healing healing materials that are very common and cheap but only provide small-scale, gradual healing. Like healing powder but more common and with no drawbacks.

Reintroducing kits, possibly in order of efficacy (first aid -> doctor, etc) dependent upon medicine skill is probably the easiest means of doing this. Maybe raise maximum daily use from 3 to 4 or 5. I wouldn't hold out much hope of splitting the medicine skill again.

Edited by Pop

All you can do without making the game plainly dumb and arbitrary

That horse all ready left the barn, Pop.

At this point I see it more as retconning in whatever way is neccesssary to make combat more interesting.

All you can do without making the game plainly dumb and arbitrary

That horse all ready left the barn, Pop.

At this point I see it more as retconning in whatever way is neccesssary to make combat more interesting.

Agreed, as well as much better *cough* dialogue. *cough*

yeah when it boils down to it. fix the dialogue and story problems and mods can fix a lot of the minor things like stimpack issues and radiation problems.

i'd rather have it be fixed without need for a mod, but the devs should put their time where it matters most. quests, dialogue, characters, storylines, consequences for your actions

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

As a Pc user, I would like to dump some of my pet hates here:

Can we have a dedicated Keyboard and Mouse interface? I am really tired of playing with jurry rigged conversations (Yes I do know this is a single system resource/time sink for developers but as a Pc user I am tired of games asking me for a damn thumb-pad controls)

Is there any chance of keyboard specific shortcuts/uses in the game like ability to type stuff into in game computers and books...

Are we going to be stuck with "equal to consoles" options in graphics and sounds and gameplay which bypasses the strenghts of our system?

IG. We kick ass and not even take names.

After my initial bombardments on the topics, I have waited to see some bits coming out. However I only saw worse and worse DLCs and no info on NY. Now that the DLCs are (supposed to be) done, I thought we might get some snippets of info. (Thou I am not really sure about the end of DLCs for Fo3. They hstill have 100 points allowance on X-Brick. The pessimist in me says we will see one last bout of dead horse beating ;) )

On to the meaty side of the game:

Is there any info you can give us on the use of the Map? I really hope we will have a 2 layer map in this game; first layer being equal to the Gallout 3's general city map and second layer being a global map.

If you use such a scheme, you can include distant locations like "The Pitt" in the game without too much trouble (or am I the only person who thought going from Capital Wasteland to Pittsburg via an underground mine track weird?).

This would also cut down on the feeling of a crowded rush hour as you are travelling on the wasteland. After level 10 or 12 the vanilla Fallout 3 just shouted too many monsters too little space.

Lastly this would enable us modders to add our own little towns and locations into the game without too much rips in the gameworld.

Edited by cronicler

IG. We kick ass and not even take names.

so... what is problem with fallout 3 stimpacks? too numerous?

stimpack problem is similar to money problem... though solutions is may be different. gotta make money or stimpacks plentiful enough for folks who does critical path. problem occurs with a big open world likes fo3... makes real easy for folks to accumulate ridiculous quantities of stimpacks and 1007. so how does developers balance? reduce availability o' stimpacks and does you still have 'nuff for critical path players? add weight to stimpacks is simply a retarded notion and folks should feel embarrassed to suggest as it not solve anything and potentially only adds a small annoyance factor to some players' game experience.

haven't read the last +10 pages, so maybe has already been suggested, but as much as Gromnir loathes the spectre of reality in games, you can use to limit stimpack abuse. Many drugs loose efficacy as you takes more. the thing is, the more you take, the more you need... is not addiction so much as it has something to do with liver metabolizing the stuff. make stimpacks similar? more you take, the increasingly less effective they become. take more than 1 stimpack during some chosen length o' time, and you reduce their efficacy overall. the more stimpacks you use, the less they work.

has probably already been suggested, and no doubt there is obstacles. seems to make sense to Gromnir

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)