Unusual Names

Monte Carlo

Sometimes a foreign name alone, no matter if it sounds anything like a word in a more usual language, is a heavy burden to carry. Kids with extraorinary names are targets immediately.

That's true, although:

1. Being a target can toughen you up. My family were very very poor and we got stick for it.

2. Having a moderately weird name is great for people thinking you are unusual later in life. We used to fake our names to see how people reacted differently. I recommend it.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Sometimes a foreign name alone, no matter if it sounds anything like a word in a more usual language, is a heavy burden to carry.

I wasn't there, but people I know told me about a lady whose name was pronounced one way here in US English but the pronounciation was wrong; it apparently was pronounced in a way that sounded like "whore" in English in her native non-English speaking country. For obvious reasons she never pointed out the error as the mispronounciation was quite benign as opposed to the correct pronounciation.

This all came to a head when a new employee who hailed from her home country came to work and rather famously tried to helpfully correct his coworker's mispronounciation by stating emphatically "She's a whore! Whore! Its WHORE!" during a meeting.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

my name is americanized hungarian, and rare. sure, some kids poked fun, but i grew up in a rather ethnic area so it was no big deal (european ethnic, mostly, i.e., heavy irish, german, italiian, polish, czech, etc.). besides, once i was 11 or so i was the tallest kid in class and nobody bothered me about anything anyway.

babysealkiller would be a bad name, too.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

My surname features two "Y" and people have been mispronouncing & misspelling it for as long as I remember. In fact, I'm not 100% sure how to pronounce it myself.

It's your damn name. I suggest you decide how it should be pronounced. :)

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Silly people. I have a nice, simple name. Nobody has ever mispronounced my name.

Hey now, my mother is huge and don't you forget it. The drunk can't even get off the couch to make herself a vodka drenched sandwich. Octopus suck.

Being Italian my surname has a double R and is liberally sprinkled with vowels for flavor. Very very few people pronounce it correctly the first time.

I've got a two vowel combo in my last name that no one pronounces correctly (even when they ask and I tell them how its pronounced).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Shryke Henry Theophilus Susan

-Elwood Blues

Friend of mine knew a fella named 'Taika Protagonist', where Taika means Magic in finnish. Of course the friend wanted to call him out on his strange name and asked where he was originally from, or where his parents live and so on. He simply answered that it his origins could not be named since it would be impossible to define the undefineable. He was probably one with the cosmos or something.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I have uncommon first and middle names but most people mess up the spelling on my last name. Even then they usually just guess the wrong vowel as I commonly see it as both Jenson and Jensen, which is what I use.

Free games updated 3/4/21

When I worked in customer service we had a guy who used to make periodic requests to order things without a credit card. These were routinely refused under standard terms, but we became curious. We enquired as to why he had none, and he replied that the bank wouldn't give him one. This was where I was called in, since I had worked previously in a bank. very swiftly it was established that they couldn't give him one because he had no credit history because he only had one name, and no proof of identity.

Long story short we established that this poor bloke had been raised by hippies who insisted he should never have a square thing like an identity and raised him completely off the grid. He was very peculiar but he seemed genuinely a victim of his upbringing rather than a proponent. So we helped talk him through the process of getting a birth certificate, passport, bank account, and finally his first purchase.

One more reason I hate hippies. Its the sheer hypocrisy of forcing their views on a child.

-Elwood Blues

One more reason I hate hippies. Its the sheer hypocrisy of forcing their views on a child.

Maybe his parents were Indonesian? My colleagues tell me that it quite common to have a single name there :aiee:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Wals' post reminded me of this WaPo story from a few months back: Facebook doesn't like people named "Batman"

After several failed exchanges with customer service, Miranda Batman -- no relation to Caitlin -- of Indiana decided her real name wasn't worth pursuing. Facebook had requested she fax a copy of her driver's license, and she worried about security.

Instead, Miranda signed up for an account as "Miranda Stewart," using her husband's bachelor surname. (He took on Batman when they got married because, well, wouldn't you?) Facebook immediately accepted the fake name. "Which is so ironic," the nursing student says. "Because that's what they're trying to" prevent. The only way for Miranda to overcome accusations of fraud was by . . . committing fraud.

Just be lucky you didn't have wacked out hippie parents. Just look at the names that Frank Zappa named his kids.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Shryke Henry Theophilus Susan

you actually got my middle name right! :lol:

Ah, but you see, with your basic honesty you had to be a Henry, but girls would never go crazy for a Henry, hence your middle name. *puff puff*

-Elwood Blues

and it wouldn't really fit with our everyday celebration

it was all started by a girl i was sleeping with about 2 years ago, but it seems to have stuck and now all my friends and even some people i've only just met do it

with my birthday being the only exception, "everyday is hug the **** day"

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

I made an Ansel and a Clotilde. An Imogen is currently in production.

My wife is cajun and I love photography.

Oh Jimmy, you were so funny.

Don't let me down.

From habit he lifts his watch; it shows him its blank face.

Zero hour, Snowman thinks. Time to go.