Obsidian making Fallout: New Vegas

Well the crafting currently in the game does not really make sense tbh. It just seems to be there for a couple novelity items and to provide guys who choose big guns as tag a weapon in the beginning...

? I already had a minigun and a rocket launcher by the time i found my first schematics, maybe i was playing it wrong?

i didn't really mind merged skills, as for explosives it would make more sense i think to determine granade damage (and critical hit/miss chance) by science or repair(electronics) , and have a throwing skill to determine accuracy of throwing stuff.

What i'd really like would be some variety in explosives, especially more low-tech, like dynamites, molotov coctails etc.

I'd like some more low-tech weapons in general, it would add to the survival part of the game.

The first RiL blueprints are in your Dad's safe (thou that requires 100 lock picking?) or Moira's shop I think and you can gather the ingredients up to and in megaton. However as you commented it becomes useless after your first random dungeon and due to botched degradation rates...

Also I did not say I liked it. I just remarked that B. tied all the factors to a single skill to keep it simple. Yes KISS principle is important but they did go overboard a bit in places.

Stealth and Steal merge is a 50-50 issue. It is easy to assume a guy who is adept at moving quietly would be good ad liberating things too, both skills have very narrow focus and they both are about the same subject.

First Aid and Doctor Merge is also similar. Doctor skill allowed you to cure crippled limbs but beyond that both skills served the same purposes. I guess if B. had included some perks like "Advanced Medical Knowledge" or "Doctor's Training"similar things to limit your ability to cure or create anything with basic medicine it would have been better but in essence this was not a bad call either.

Traps and Throwing... Well this one is a buster to be honest. To ease the game play and to keep it smooth and simple is one thing but this one really tries the limits. I guess this merger is also the reason we don't have any throwing knifes etc in the vanilla game too.

Piloting and Animal Handling. I know the first on is from Tactics and the second one is from an even worse source; PnP. It could have been nice if the game engine was up to using Mounts and Vehicles but as it stands now, I am just writing these here to irritate and bait you. Sorry! -_-

Edit Number N: I really forgot that B. took the outdoorsman and gambling totally out of the game. No wold map (and no functions tied to it. Sure a lot could have been tied to it but B. probebly did not think of them highly so they did not put them into the game.) probably meant the end of Outdoors man but I was really disappointed in the lack of any games of chance in a game that had the ability to have mini-games...

The Skill List:

Small Guns

Big Guns

Energy Weapons

Unarmed

Melee Weapons

+Throwing

+Traps Merged Into Explosives

*First Aid

*Doctor Merged Into Medical

-Sneak

-Steal Merged Into Stealth

Lockpick

Science

Repair

Speech

(Piloting)

Barter

Gambling

Outdoorsman

*There are also some other skills that are used in PnP such as Primitive Weapons, Animal Handling and some craft focused skills like farming etc. These are not really relevant to here. Just mentioned them for a full list

**Piloting Affected how tight control you had and how fast you could move with vehicles in FoT. Since the engine is not really up to any large area movements this one is also moot and mentioned only for the sake of completeness.

Edit N+1: Rambling mode on, If you check the skill description of Small Guns you might notice the sentences about taking care of it etc. I just wish we could use combined skills to determine how well we can do something in the 3rd game or tieing different functions to different skills but alas....

Edited by cronicler

IG. We kick ass and not even take names.

I also really want to see areas and dungeons that look unique and have a unique theme or quest going on, with many different enemy types inhabiting them who don't attack you on sight but parley with you and give you more options to do quests or whatnot.

well, i've already stated the things which i feel "need" to happen in order to really please me but i guess now i can get into the smaller nitpicks (not saying universally, just to me).

while i am 100% sick of the decades-long over-usage of the "dungeon crawl", i understand it's place in the genre and could forgive it if it's, as azure says, not just a copypasta job like all the dungeon-crawls in FO3 (and no, putting a suitcase next to a skeleton in one dungeon and a teddy bear next to a skeleton in another does not mean it's not copypasta). if we are going to be forced into certain areas, give us a story. give us a reason to want to look around (that reason being something other than seeing the word "empty" on some crates or some batteries and scrap metal). Bethie did this really well, but only once (even if i'm wrong they sure didn't do it often) with the Naughty Nightwear holotape which turns into a scavenger hunt which subsequently turns into a couple branching quests.

let's follow that pattern, not the "empty, pointless area with a safe and a skillbook" pattern.

pretty please.

I'm OK with using the FO3 skill list, provided that implementation of the existing skills is improved.

The importance of the "access skills" needs to be decreased. I'd like to see explosives as an alternative to lockpicking. Not as a hard skill requirement, but a % chance to blow open a lock (along with a % chance to screw up and hurt yourself), with a wider variety of explosive useable for this purpose as skill increases. (e.g., low levels = cherry bombs only, with more effective mines/grenades/rockets/mininukes becoming useable as skill increases.) Also, condiiton of equipment in a blasted-open container would be seriously downgraded.

I'd like to see fewer terminals to hack and more opportunites for Science skills to be useful in the gameworld (i.e., in dialogues, in item crafting, and in repair of very high-tech equipment, like Tesla Armor).

Repair needs some work. I like chronicler's idea that skill with a particular weapon type should help in repairing it. This could dampen the "every player needs this skill!" factor that currently dogs Repair in FO3.

More drawbacks to wearing heavy armor, particularly in stealth, melee, and small arms accuracy.

I hope Obsidian gives the gameworld a lot more thought than Bethesda did. There are invisible walls to the east and to the south of the square map in Fallout 3. I haven't yet checked the western and northern edges (I'm reluctantly replaying it again while contemplating if I should buy Broken Steel), but I assume it's the same in those directions too.

Please make the map bigger, try not to make it square, let natural barriers close me in instead of those invisible walls (that I despise so much). Let your world builders go nuts on the content. Give them free reigns so they feel some sort of passion when trying to fill the wasteland with stuff to find and see. This is how the Gothic team does it and they have the (in my opinion) best gameworlds in the industry.

This is something I know J.E. Sawyer will take seriously so I am not worried, but still, it deserves a mention. Make sure there's weapon balance this time! More weapons in every category! If I got to choose, I would get rid of weapon degradation altogether. I would replace it with letting all weapons you find have a predetermined state of degrade. This way, you could find a weapon you already have, but still be happy because it is in better condition than the weapon you already own. And instead of repairing weapons by using spare parts from a similar weapon, let the repair skill affect how much you can modify each weapon. Yes, no more scoped-only .44 Magnum's. Let ME decide which gun gets the scope (if it fits)!

I'm sure I will think of more stuff later.

Or now. Why not use the pretty cool crafting more? I mean, they created tools and systems for crafting, but there are only like.. 5-7 schematics to find in the entire game? I would love to see more stuff you could build, more very rare schematics, more silly stuff you could build (yes, I liked the Choo-choo gun). Just think it through and make it more vital to the game than Bethesda did.

And vehicles. Can we have vehicles? Pretty please? The repair skill AND the crafting could come into play here.. Maybe having vehicles would bridge the gap between those who thought Fallout 3's world map was too big and us who thought it was too small?

Ok, NOW I'm done. I think.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I was in a discussion about Fallout style maps on... Nexus? not sure... We were debating how you could make Fallout style maps in F3 engine.

The idea was to make a mix of open cities mod and reasonable computer requirements. Anyway Imagine the Town occupying a somewhat circular area of 1r at the center of the map. Outside the town you have another r of empty space that is somewhat worked over, ie, some hidden goodies, some satellite houses etc. When you enter this area a map icon appears which indicates you can transfer to the world map. Lastly outside this area you have another r or 2 worth of empty space. this space acts like the transition grid in previous Fallouts (ie you get dropped to the World Map automatically). This space can be actually be made smaller but if you want to give the feeling of being in a god forsaken place in the middle of nowhere you need to give the Player illusion of wast empty spaces and walling in every side with hills or ruins just defeats it tbh. 1 or 2 is ok but overuse kills it.

I don't think vehicles or mounts will be an option IF we get a main map similar to FO3. The mounts in Oblivion were feasible as the whole place was depicted as empty country side. I don't think 4 or more wheeled vehicles would fit in the ruins. Then again if we get a map with lots of satellite locations and a world map? Why not -_- a mobile home or some nice choppers?

Edited by cronicler

(yes, I liked the Choo-choo gun).

:o-_-

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

This may seem like a silly suggestion, but I'd like to be able to walk across the wasteland for long periods of time without being harassed by a random enemy. It's not realistic that there are so many animals scurrying around when there's no vegetation to speak of. How do these enemies stay alive, by eating sand?

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

-_- Be polite lass, its not polite to stare.

Actually the crafted weapons were a nice concept. I'm not sure why they went so overboard to kill it but I also fount the choo-choo and the dart gun nice if illogical (never ending Venom :o)

Some ability to modify your weapons, (Scopes, rails, home made red laser pointers, pre-war stuff like Beta or C mags...) some ability to craft your weapons (destroy that useless corpse of rifle to get its beautiful kevlar frame (-weight +accuracy). mount your baby on that frame to get a real rifle). It can be good.

Virimor: The whole wasteland was compressed so that you would not be too far from your destination. Unfortunately this coupled with 1 map=1 game approach made the game very weird experience in some moments. You had to use the fast travel to skip these...

Edited by cronicler

This may seem like a silly suggestion, but I'd like to be able to walk across the wasteland for long periods of time without being harassed by a random enemy. It's not realistic that there are so many animals scurrying around when there's no vegetation to speak of. How do these enemies stay alive, by eating sand?

No, by eating wasteland travelers. -_-

No, by eating wasteland travelers. :lol:

That made me laugh, but it's also probably true. Maybe that's why humanity is barely crawling out of the dark ages some 200 years after the war.

As far as things I'd like, I still go by my original list. As far as things I don't like, foregoing writing in general since the specifics would take too long to post, the item deterioration rate heads the list. Crashgirl brought up the worst part of item deterioration -- forget the weapons, carrying around armor is a pain. ...And carrying around an extra set of power armor or two?

Like I said earlier, I'm leery of complete overhaul the skills, stats, and perks. I don't want them to add skills, but I would like the skills we already have to be retooled a little. On the other hand, I'm also pretty forgiving. As long as it works out in the end, I won't care.

Nope. it's the item deterioration and the need to carry around two or three of everything that irritates me most.

I had mentioned this earlier but it got buried in the debris I guess.

Adding a basic resource system to the repair/craft section would be the simplest solution I guess. You tear down unwanted equipment to get spare parts; mechanichal, electronic and optical. (Also leather scraps and armor scraps and ceramic plates) Each one required for more advanced guns and items. The weapon condition and your collective skill (something like repair + gun skill /2 for weapons and repair + science/2 for armors) decides how many parts you need to keep your armor working.

Small damage to Power Armor? a few bolts, maybe some padding or plates replaced and so on. This way we can have s decent repair sytem without having to carry 5 miniguns and 3 PAs..

Edited by cronicler

I like that the animations in FO3 change when the creature is crippled.

* (I'm considering modding the Supermutants to use the crippled walk cycle as the normal mode for a few types and adding a leg brace to the model)

But The game's Cripple effect seem broken to me.

In FO3 if you get crippled, you pop a stim pack into the affected limb (on paper this sounds ~sound, but in practice its flawed... bad)

When I first was playing, I barely noticed the crippling, because taking stims regularly would heal hitpoints and heal crippled limbs in the process. That trivializes the entire mechanic IMO.

When the PC is crippled in Fallout 1 or 2, they are in real trouble ~especially if in a fight atm.

They can't just pop a stim to un-cripple themselves

Fallout 1&2 had a brilliant system for medical (I thought); It worked like this... You had two skills that governed medicine.

They were First Aid & Doctor. Both medical skills were for when you had the time ~so you don't waste Stim-paks. First aid could be increased by books to a high level and was great for healing basic injuries on your PC, and NPC's. First Aid takes only half the time needed by Doctor [and you get half the XP]; Doctor gives double the XP of First aid, takes twice as long, but its the only way to heal crippled limbs and blindness ~and Doctor cannot be raised with books. (this meant that unless you put a lot of points into doctor, it might take you a while to fix your crippled limbs or eye trouble).

Because they split the two, this means that you have a maximum of 6 heals per day, but only three chances to heal crippled limbs or blindness, and you must decide carefully who gets what, when healing two or more injured. (Also the time element plays a part, as you would not want to use either if standing in a radiation hazard).

I know it might be futile to suggest a return to the old (better) way [with an explanation in the manual of how to use the skills]; but in the very least I'd hope that New Vegas addresses the broken mechanics of FO3 as they are, and improves upon them such that "crippled" actually means something dangerous, and is not to be taken lightly...

(as almost everything is in FO3 prodjv5.gif).

Edited by Gizmo

One easy improvement to the healing process of Fallout 3 is to NOT pause the game while you're looking at your Pip-boy (like in System Shock 2). In Fallout 3, as soon as I was in any danger whatsoever, I just pressed tab and up comes my Pip-boy and every super mutant in the vicinity happily stopped their attacking to watch me pump myself full of stimpacks and change equipment into something a bit more comfortable. Then I lowered my Pip-boy arm and the world started moving again..

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Well the old Doctor skill was pretty much useless outside healing crippled limbs tbh. The current merger is not so bad but the stimpak heals broken limbs part just destroys it. I wish stimpaks did not affect these and you had to take a perk/trait to be able to heal crippled limbs in the game (Something like: working as your fathers assistant gives you a choice between 3 perks: Ability to heal broken limbs, ability to treat poisoning and ability to heal 2x damage with Medicine). Then again people would have hated it if you had to go to doctor every time you broke a leg.

Mkreku: Ugh that was really a bad call on game design. you are correct to remind that one too.

Edited by cronicler

One easy improvement to the healing process of Fallout 3 is to NOT pause the game while you're looking at your Pip-boy (like in System Shock 2). In Fallout 3, as soon as I was in any danger whatsoever, I just pressed tab and up comes my Pip-boy and every super mutant in the vicinity happily stopped their attacking to watch me pump myself full of stimpacks and change equipment into something a bit more comfortable. Then I lowered my Pip-boy arm and the world started moving again..
That would likely lead to a can of [acidic] worms :lol:; They had it that way in Baldur's Gate 2, and the main problem is that sometimes a player just wants to peruse their inventory and not worry about random monsters murdering their party while they are reading item descriptions. One could instead unpause in combat only, but that makes it behave differently at different times, and also, I used to like opening the inventory as a way to pause the game... pick up the phone, fix a snack, etc...

Well the old Doctor skill was pretty much useless outside healing crippled limbs tbh. The current merger is not so bad but the stimpak heals broken limbs part just destroys it. I wish stimpaks did not affect these and you had to take a perk/trait to be able to heal crippled limbs in the game (Something like: working as your fathers assistant gives you a choice between 3 perks: Ability to heal broken limbs, ability to treat poisoning and ability to heal 2x damage with Medicine). Then again people would have hated it if you had to go to doctor every time you broke a leg.

Mkreku: Ugh that was really a bad call on game design. you are correct to remind that one too.

Was doctor a requirement in the Brain swap for FO2? (I don't recall, but its seems logical). ~I will always be one for more skill granularity being better ~its a throwback from the PNP days and the realization of just how those skills can be applied to a myriad of situatio

*Would Doctor have been as useless in FO1&2 if it had been named "Un-cripple limbs"? It was useful because it uncrippled your limbs and cleared blind effects. If they had it again, it would be a specialized skill that could be used for specialized skill checks (that most would fail, but a few would pass), this could open options that should only be opened to certain kinds of charters.

As you streamline and merge your skill set (pairing it down to only a few) you begin to approach a game world not unlike the world of Harrison Bergeron, where the town doctor is no better at patching you up than the town bartender. Specialized skills are basically "Class skills" like in the D&D style games. Secret knowledge that not everybody has. Fallout had a classless system, but had several skills, and you effectively picked your class by how you developed them. Trimming the skills begins to skirt the edge of the superman that is master of all guilds ~its Bethesda's old haunts all over again.

Edited by Gizmo

One easy improvement to the healing process of Fallout 3 is to NOT pause the game while you're looking at your Pip-boy (like in System Shock 2).

I'm, all for that. But more hotkeys or at least abetter hotkey system would be needed.

In first person action games, I don't think there should ever be any player action that freezes the gameworld. Other than something like an actual pause button for when you need to pee or make a sandwich or both.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

never saw a point to first aid in fo or fo2. doctor were rare useful 'cause crippling happened infrequent. we got no problem with the med skills being combined, 'cause having 'em separate not really work in fo 1 or 2. as much as fo:t is maligned by the faithful, am recalling that doctor skill became very useful in that game... first aid uses would eventual result in the "bandaged" status and you would have to doctor up anyways. typical we boosted stitch's dr skill through the roof, but ignored first aid in favor o' small guns or other such.

keeps the combined fo3 medical skill and return usefulness by eliminating the stimpack solution for handling crippled limbs, blindness or concussion.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

In first person action games, I don't think there should ever be any player action that freezes the gameworld. Other than something like an actual pause button for when you need to pee or make a sandwich or both.
I agree 100% ~but then... I'm of the opinion that FO3 should never have been made a first person game :lol:

never saw a point to first aid in fo or fo2. doctor were rare useful 'cause crippling happened infrequent. we got no problem with the med skills being combined, 'cause having 'em separate not really work in fo 1 or 2. as much as fo:t is maligned by the faithful, am recalling that doctor skill became very useful in that game... first aid uses would eventual result in the "bandaged" status and you would have to doctor up anyways. typical we boosted stitch's dr skill through the roof, but ignored first aid in favor o' small guns or other such.

keeps the combined fo3 medical skill and return usefulness by eliminating the stimpack solution for handling crippled limbs, blindness or concussion.

HA! Good Fun!

I haven't played Tactics enough to discover that; It sounds good though... I'd be all for that [split skill] method.

I think the Jefferson model had a lot going for it. That could have multiple consequences with folks on a gameplay level. It's good to have consequences for player choice play out in the story, but having them affect relations with a variety of faction and in a variety of ways would be awesome. A choice shouldn't boil down to someone liking you and another not. It might make another person notice you and some other guy might even get the idea you'll be easy to dupe. Meanwhile, since you've argued and won the case for this merchant here to sell baby toys in the city, this poison merchant gets one step closer to plying his wares in the city also.... and maybe the baby toy merchant is the poison plyer. Like folks have been saying, the computer can keep track of these things and the player need only pay as much attention as they want. Hell, they might not always know that a specific aspect in the mid-game arose as a result of some decision in the early game. They need only know that they might never know. If players got the idea that their actions would be so far reaching as to cause cascading effects, they'd adapt easily, I think.

He's used that name for years, and is WELL known among the Fallout [forum] fans ~He's a member here and at Bethsoft, and NMA (and surely others) ~I can understand some not getting it at first... but to be fair, I knew what he meant and I only read it in passing.

Brios is who you're thinking, not Briareus, which is what the link puts on top. i have no clue who the guy who the link goes to is.

he were a Developer for black isle... you not see title o' thread and follow back to origin? perhaps now you is seeing the point o' the post? a black isle developer speaks to the questionable commercial success o' fallout. bad 'cess to twinks, zigs and gorillas.

oh, and chrisA has gotten plenty o' millage from ps:t... but that were kinda the high water mark for him. sorry, but unlike aristes, we were pretty damned unimpressed with the motb joinable npcs. each character were a cliche-- with a hook. 'stead o' the textbook cleric/paladin that questions faith... we gets a winged chick who literal only sees in black n' white. make the character a male-human paladin and who gives dove a second thought, eh? gann... a jolly-rogue womanizer... with mommy issues? makes an elf and how quick you thinks we hear "cliche"? worst of all, we never made no connection with the titular character... can't even recall his name. is not that motb were horrible, but am not thinking it were particularly great work for chrisA.

at some point somebody should pull chrisA aside and tell him that characters should be profound, rather than trying to make 'em say lots o' profound stuff. maybe has chrisA read children's books like "the phantom tollbooth" or gaiman's "coraline". heck, gaiman's adult characters not go 'round vomiting forth coffee shop grade existential philosophy... 'cept for maybe in American Gods. kids books is great for beating the excessive introspection habit out o' young authors, 'cause young readers simply don't get such stuff. make chrisA write his characters as if they is speaking to a 10-year old. ravel weren't profound 'cause o' what she said, but 'cause o' how she were used to advance story. kreia were an excellent character as well, though she got a little preachy... but in a star wars jedi that kinda goes with the territory to some degree.

don't get us wrong, chrisA has produced some fantastic work... his targos stuff in iwd2 were high point o' the game. even so, he is miss almost as often as he is hit.

HA! Good Fun!

Gromnir makes some good points here... Here's my take...

Obsidian guys have made some decent games, from a perspective of fun, but from a perspective of software I'm not so certain. Often work has been done using other companies technologies, infact all released titles have had most of their input from extenal sources. It is certainly questionable in regards to how successful Obsidian and Black Isle have ever been at producing good technology, if we take a closer look at these projects what we see is that most failings have always been in the area of technology or bad assesment in regards to production.

Lets look at Obsidian's titles:

KOTOR II: Content was cut effecting the result and quality of the end of the game, the development time was short, about 12 months if I remember correctly. The content being cut must obviously be due to an over estimation of what was achieveable within the time period a costing, time estimation, and production failing.

NWN2: Brand new rendering engine, all in all on release the product suffered from terrible performance (I'm not sure if any content was cut which effected the overall quality of the product so I'd sooner not comment), but clearly there were technical issues and bugs galore on release, meaning that their was an overestimation of the teams capibility to produce desired results over the timeframe allocated. Thankfully the performance has been greatly improved, and the following expansions required alot less focus on developing new tech and more time focusing on content. I can only speculate on the reasons why NWN2 was a bad piece of software on release, legacy code through to over ambitious technology through to lack of technical expertise, it's an unknown but a failing obviously existed.

If we go back further and look at BIS titles we begin to see that the lack of technical knowledge having an effect on 3D titles, Torn, FO3, and BG3 all had issues, far as I am aware FO3 and BG3 had pipeline failings, the content pipeline is one of the most important and most used pieces of software in development a long content processing time coupled with potential bugs can kill a game dead before its even begun.

All the successful BIS titles used IE, a simpler engine, with an established pipe from bioware, who knows if it was good or bad.

I love Obsidian's products, but I wouldn't say they were solid pieces of software, and that is from what I can see having observed and followed the talent for 10 years their major failing and where the focus to improve should really be. This isn't to say that they don't have loads of talented guys working for them, I'm certain that they do. I also have to admit that with every title they continue to get better.

In brief, Obsidian can suffer from being a wee bit over ambitious for their development timeframes.

My expectations of FO:NV are that it will be well written, fun to play, and probably a more balanced experience, with a heavy focus on content. I do believe that they will likely have Beth's crappy gamebyro based engine dogging them, and the potential for obsidian to fix that broken POS is fairly small.

But hey... I'm just guessing so what's it matter.

Well remember that KotOR II's release was pushed up.

I agree though that Obsidian needs stop taking projects on short time frames and be more economic with dev time. When I heard next year for NV I facepalmed though it could mean a fall release, with TES V coming in the spring of the following year. This is why I dont want a big game like FO3. The bigger the world is, the more exponentially complicated and resource draining writing and unique area creation becomes. It clear with games like Bethesda's that assets creation in this day and age is just way too costly and comes at the expense of other areas. It was a lot simpler with the 2D engines. Start small and work your way up as tool and assets creation becomes better. I'd take a map a third the size of FO3's for better writing and animation, or good AI. I think those things affect immersion more.

And wasnt BG III's failure the issue of Interplay management screwing up?

Edited by Promethean