Obsidian making Fallout: New Vegas

Are you sure? I wouldn't be surprised if the FPS version of Fallout (Fallout 3) sold more than all the other Fallout's combined by now.

There are no exact sales figures for any of the FO games, but if you use generally accepted estimates FO3 has actually sold about three times as many copies as all the other FO titles combined.

You would also need account for the difference in the size of the then current market.

Selling 100 of one game to a 1000 potential buyers is 1 in 10; while selling 1000 games to 20000 buyers is only 1 in 20... The later game made more money (if both cost the same), but the first game was more popular as it was owned by twice the percentage of [available] consumers.

Doom was [for a time] the most popular piece of entertainment software on Earth, but that was before computers themselves were even mainstream.

Hamburgers outsell high cuisine everyday, but that doesn't make them automatically better/healthier, so the argument success=quality can be dropped already.
Indeed

is tough to figure out True Believers. we witnessed first-hand how troika gots a free pass from many of the faithful. perhaps obsidian is now the successor to the birthright of cain. would be nice for obsidian.

HA! Good Fun!

I think they're more than Able... Edited by Gizmo

Hamburgers outsell high cuisine everyday, but that doesn't make them automatically better/healthier, so the argument success=quality can be dropped already.

Don't like it? Don't play it. Problem solved.

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

wtf is the deal with you people and your interwebs sales figures?! who cares??

So what you are saying is all those people at NMA are totally in the wrong when they point to FO: BOS and its low sales and deem it a failure. Thanks for clearing that up :ermm:

Don't like it? Don't play it. Problem solved.

the heck does this have to do with ANYTHING??? what we don't like is our favorite franchise being stomped on. so yeah. we won't play it, we're not currently playing it and we're hoping Obsidian does justice to the title. that's why we're here talking. why exactly are you here?

@skuld: what i am saying is that sales have nothing to do with the inherent quality of any given piece of art since the beginning of time. nor will it ever.

Edited by TwinkieGorilla

So what you are saying is all those people at NMA are totally in the wrong when they point to FO: BOS and its low sales and deem it a failure. Thanks for clearing that up :ermm:

Drat, and Twinkie is NMA's spokesman too.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

The point is that when it comes to sales, its not the business of the gamer to care or know about. That is for the game companies to care about. Not us. Only thing we should care about is if the game we spent money on is worth the money we spent. No more and no less.

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

the heck does this have to do with ANYTHING??? what we don't like is our favorite franchise being stomped on. so yeah. we won't play it and we'll hope Obsidian does justice. that's why we're here talking. why exactly are you here?

Oh, please, grow up or something. Sheesh. Its a game. The purpose of a company is to make a product that makes them money and Bethesda had the rights to do anything they want with Fallout if that makes them money. Crying about it on the Internet isn't going to change a damn thing. Also, hoping is a waste of time. Crap in one hand, hope in the other, and see which one gets full first.

Yeah, I'm sure they sat in their boardroom discussing Fallout's development going, "We don't care how this sells, as long as it caters to a yet unformed mass of fans".

no. more likely they said "let's do something different." which was the point Mikael was making.

Why would that be likely?

Yeah, and a hamburger is $5 while "high cuisine" is $50. Great comparison. Really. THINK, people. Preferably before you write a post.

Besides, noone has argued that success = quality. Someone wrote that "most people" would have preferred isometric doll playing. I disputed that by comparing sales figures, in other words "most people". Where does quality come into it? And who are you to judge a games quality in the first place?

Even IF I would have argued that sales = quality, I would probably be right. I believe it sold on quality, not hype or whatever you guys call it. I can even link a source for my claims!

http://www.metacritic.com/search/process?s...mp;x=29&y=6

Fallout average: 89

Fallout 2 average: 86

Fallout 3 average: 91 (PC version)

Now feel free to prove that Fallout 3 sold on hype and that you guys know better what tr00 quality is.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Personally, that's where I thought Bethesda did their best job: the transition from an obsolete play-with-dolls view to first person view.

GREAT! They did away with all that dang obsolete material and made something BRAND NEW! Something with ZOW! Something that is IN YOUR FACE and is ALL THAT AND A BAG OF CHIPS.

Only problem is, why did they attach that old, smelly obsolete brand name to it if they were so inclined to make something new???

Drat, and Twinkie is NMA's spokesman too.

yeah, right? there's only one opinion over there and they all told me to say it here! wheeeee!

Oh, please, grow up or something. Sheesh. Its a game. The purpose of a company is to make a product that makes them money and Bethesda had the rights to do anything they want with Fallout if that makes them money. Crying about it on the Internet isn't going to change a damn thing. Also, hoping is a waste of time. Crap in one hand, hope in the other, and see which one gets full first.

here's an idea: please don't patronize me. here's another: you're spending time here too. but for what end? to tell us to grow up, accept what's given to us, and give up hope? the hell kind of life are you proposing here, jack?

@mkreku: why wouldn't it?

Edited by TwinkieGorilla

Only problem is, why did they attach that old, smelly obsolete brand name to it if they were so inclined to make something new???

Because, unlike you, they realized that Fallout was never about a camera angle or a combat system. It was about a setting and a story.

I believe the nailed the setting but failed on the story.

here's an idea: please don't patronize me. here's another: you're spending time here too. but for what end? to tell us to grow up, accept what's given to us, and give up hope? the hell kind of life are you proposing here, jack?

The only reason why I am here now is that I go to work in an hour's time and there is nothing good on the television, as there ever is. You don't have to accept what is given to you. You can not spend the money and not play the game. WOAH! Shocker there.

Its Bethesda. Story telling has never been one of their strengths, though they are improving compared to their previous outings.

Edited by Killian Kalthorne

Because, unlike you, they realized that Fallout was never about a camera angle or a combat system. It was about a setting and a story.

I'd say not :ermm:

http://www.nma-fallout.com/article.php?id=35764

But I will agree that they nailed the setting... just not anything else :(

Edited by Gizmo

Wow, and here I am looking like an idiot thinking that how a game plays is more or less how it is percieved. So what's Mario about? I'm going to say running and jumping on things, but feel free to correct me.

Edited by bhlaab

The only reason why I am here now is that I go to work in an hour's time and there is nothing good on the television, as there ever is. You don't have to accept what is given to you. You can not spend the money and not play the game. WOAH! Shocker there.

well good for you. glad we can entertain you, but don't act like it pains you so if you keep coming back for more. as for the second part of the post: re-read what i just wrote. we're NOT playing Bethie's version. we're hoping Obsidian, Sawyer and Co. will deliver us something we will want to pay for and play. and again, that's why we're here. all you're doing is complaining about the complainers (something that your home at Bethie would slap your wrist for) and antagonizing. so, yeah. go you.

I expect the new Fallout from Obsidian be like Fallout 3 but with a bit more refinement on game play elements and a much more interesting story and quest line. Expecting Obsidian to revert to Fallout 1/2 style game play is just being silly. I rather have Obsidian's Fallout be closer to Fallout 3 than that. I expect Obsidian to make a game that will sell, unlike Troika's outings.

Edited by Killian Kalthorne

Wow, and here I am looking like an idiot thinking that how a game plays is more or less how it is percieved. So what's Mario about? I'm going to say running and jumping on things, but feel free to correct me.

Yeah, you need no help in looking like you do, that's for sure.

Hey, the most successful (both critically AND sales wise) Fallout game to date ripped out GURPS and the isometric doll angle and replaced it with something else. How is that possible?! And yeah, who has ever played a Mario without running or jumping on things. Except Mario Kart. And Mario Tennis. Or the other billion Mario themed games out there that aren't platformers. Even RPG's! Go figure.

So feel free to continue looking like an idiot.

Edited by mkreku

Expecting Obsidian to revert to Fallout 1/2 style game play is just being silly.

when did i EVER say anything remotely close to this. when have any of the countless threads since the 20th of April been focused on such a concept?

@mkreku: lulz. you're kind of ignoring the whole sales do not equal quality concept in spades, man.

Edited by TwinkieGorilla

Loosen up people. Despite all evidences to the contrary, it's quite probable that none of the people here are retarded. :ermm:

yo mkreku:

Personally, I like isometric and whatnot, but I agree that a first person real time Fallout (even without VATS) could well have been a great Fallout game. I just think Beth screwed up with both setting and story. If Fallout 2 had been made in first person real time 3D I would have still called it a great Fallout game, for instance.

That's not an opinion everyone shares, but just sayin'... maybe, y'know, some people had problems with FO3 because of what it was, not because they were projecting impossible things or on a crusade or hate or whatever.

I'm not sure about using Metacritic as any sort of judge, especially over the time periods. Reviews these days, as the industry's grown, get bought pretty easily by the hype machine.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Yeah, you need no help in looking like you do, that's for sure.

Hey, the most successful (both critically AND sales wise) Fallout game to date ripped out GURPS and the isometric doll angle and replaced it with something else. How is that possible?! And yeah, who has ever played a Mario without running or jumping on things. Except Mario Kart. And Mario Tennis. Or the other billion Mario themed games out there that aren't platformers. Even RPG's! Go figure.

So feel free to continue looking like an idiot.

I encourage others to explore my pastimes as well. :)

Its a good feeling.

Personally, I like isometric and whatnot, but I agree that a first person real time Fallout (even without VATS) could well have been a great Fallout game. I just think Beth screwed up with both setting and story. If Fallout 2 had been made in first person real time 3D I would have still called it a great Fallout game, for instance.

That's not an opinion everyone shares, but just sayin'... maybe, y'know, some people had problems with FO3 because of what it was, not because they were projecting impossible things or on a crusade or hate or whatever.

Except that the format would not work as expected. Fallout 2 was (mechanically) an improvement on Fallout, it had the bug & UI fixes, and added a few trick. But done FPP would have removed most of the core game and replaced it with Doom2 & Dialog. It would look like the clip in my SIG, and that would have been ~tragic. Edited by Gizmo