Obsidian making Fallout: New Vegas

kotor had these stoopid minigames where player would gets attacked when traveling between star systems. player would sudden be manning gun turret and would fight off tie-fighter analogues. lame. keep simple like kotor where fighting in vehicle is little more than a shooter interlude, and is wasted. maybe does like mass effect? probable not what you want, eh?

turn into genuine vehicle combat and you need rules to gets a whole lot more robust... not to mention the graphics concerns to make look good.

have seen the crpg mounted combat arguments and requests for over a decade now... have also heard developers explain why they choose not to do. developers has been pretty convincing on this issue in past and some o' the terrible attempts by bethesda and bioware doe not convince us otherwise.

HA! Good Fun!

Hmmm.. I'd rather prefer it be a limited "level" or quest, than the norm. (Consider if it were done on a caravan run and the PC was a hired merc, expected to defend the cargo).

the problem with mad have seen the crpg mounted combat arguments and requests for over a decade now... have also heard developers explain why they choose not to do. developers has been pretty convincing on this issue in past and some o' the terrible attempts by bethesda and bioware doe not convince us otherwise.

HA! Good Fun!

Far Cry 2 had vehicle combat. It wasn't terribly complex, but it was fun. Plus when you have a well-constructed gameworld, its fun to motor about in it, rather than clicking the fast travel button.

Not going to happen, of course, but it would be great fun.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Weren't we discussion Fallout religion. hahahaha

Anyhow, I'm really not for vehicles. I guess having a FO2 style car, where you quest to get the parts and whatnot wouldn't be so bad. However, having a world with extensive vehicle travel would be the nail in the coffin of Fallout retro setting. First of all, with that kind of transportation option, we've already got a different game. The variety and amount of available goods will be vastly increased. While some areas will suffer from rampant warlordism, many areas will be able to police more or less stable boundaries. The Fallout world already has too much technology, in every game, to support the basic premise. Add reliable transportation and you've all but destroyed it. I don't mind if they change the game from Fallout to Mad Max, but I have to admit I'd rather just have Fallout: New Vegas. The way I figure it, I wanted another game like Fallout 2 and I didn't get that, so as long as I can enjoy whatever they make, I'll be happy.

Weren't we discussion Fallout religion. hahahaha

Anyhow, I'm really not for vehicles. I guess having a FO2 style car, where you quest to get the parts and whatnot wouldn't be so bad. However, having a world with extensive vehicle travel would be the nail in the coffin of Fallout retro setting. First of all, with that kind of transportation option, we've already got a different game. The variety and amount of available goods will be vastly increased. While some areas will suffer from rampant warlordism, many areas will be able to police more or less stable boundaries. The Fallout world already has too much technology, in every game, to support the basic premise. Add reliable transportation and you've all but destroyed it. I don't mind if they change the game from Fallout to Mad Max, but I have to admit I'd rather just have Fallout: New Vegas. The way I figure it, I wanted another game like Fallout 2 and I didn't get that, so as long as I can enjoy whatever they make, I'll be happy.

I dunno.... By rights the premise should probably be "life in the 10 to 20 major metropolis cities that have sprung up in the last 150 years, and some even out in the middle of nowhere [Where Fallout 1 & 2 were set.] :p

Not if you make a decent cause for it like:

Desert travel requires x water and y rations per hour and if you run out you get damage/can die etc....

That would end up into too much trivial micro management.

I don't think so. You would just have to gather some food & water apart from ammo before you leave town.

I think it's a neat idea, a nice addition to the feeleing of town safety vs. dangerous wasteland.

Desert travel requires x water and y rations per hour and if you run out you get damage/can die etc....

I don't think so. You would just have to gather some food & water apart from ammo before you leave town.

I think it's a neat idea, a nice addition to the feeleing of town safety vs. dangerous wasteland.

One [or both] of the first two games required that you actually had a canteen before a long trip, or you could get dehydration damage.

*Ausir would know the exact details (or could find them).

I think driving a jeep around in a Fallout world like I did in Farcry 2 would be pretty neat. Especially if it has a 20mm cannon on the top. :p

Let's see THAT in slo-mo. :)

Rather not, it'd be stupid...

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

I think driving a jeep around in a Fallout world like I did in Farcry 2 would be pretty neat. Especially if it has a 20mm cannon on the top. :lol:

Let's see THAT in slo-mo. :p

Rather not, it'd be stupid...

That horse has already left the barn, Farmer Brown.

No point in shutting the door now.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

One [or both] of the first two games required that you actually had a canteen before a long trip, or you could get dehydration damage.

Yeah, but it was stupid because you auto-healed as you travelled and the dehydration would be a one-time-per 5 HP hit at most

Yeah, but it was stupid because you auto-healed as you travelled and the dehydration would be a one-time-per 5 HP hit at most

Imagine if you were down to 1 HP on your way into town for medical help :)

*Really all that mattered is that it happened... It would have been just the same if there was no damage and just the note.

** The same is true for the one where you tripped on a rock.

Edited by Gizmo

Actually the dehydration damage was treated like normal damage, ie armor damage resistance etc worked on it and the script to scale the damage was broken too if I remember correctly so you always got a damage lethal to a lvl1 guy....

IG. We kick ass and not even take names.

If I had the choice of carrying 5 pounds of water and 5 pounds of something more valuable than whatever I could buy to fix up the hp damage from dehydration, I'd pick the latter. Especially after the point stims are plentiful and I can afford them.

Better to have dehydration affect APs and maybe even stats like endurance or strength that would reduce the weight I could carry. Would suck major time if I had to keep chucking items the further I walked out into the dessert by the way.

By the way, any mention on ratings or whether we can run our own criminal operation? I want my own strip club.

Spreading beauty with my katana.

If I had the choice of carrying 5 pounds of water and 5 pounds of something more valuable than whatever I could buy to fix up the hp damage from dehydration, I'd pick the latter. Especially after the point stims are plentiful and I can afford them.

Better to have dehydration affect APs and maybe even stats like endurance or strength that would reduce the weight I could carry. Would suck major time if I had to keep chucking items the further I walked out into the dessert by the way.

By the way, any mention on ratings or whether we can run our own criminal operation? I want my own strip club.

Ratings? [ESRB rating?] "M" is all but certain.

Dehydration damage as temporary stat damage might work really well. (but that bit of the game is the least of current concern I think).

Heh... Dehydration damage should also give Speech penalties :banghead:

Edited by Gizmo

That. I never managed to die of dehydration, -but i did die of radiation. I thought it was cool that you had to get some radiation medicine before heading for The Glow, i think the same would apply for every long distance travel if the dehydration script could actually get you killed if you were dehydrated for too long, even more so if the food had a similar function (although IRL it takes a lot more time to die of starvation than dehydration).

I think it would be a nice feature to have something like cumulative 10% damage per day while dehydrated, 2% damage per day while starving, 1 ration of food and drink gets autoconsumed from your inventory every day to avoid/ cure dehydration/ starvation.

that way you'd autoconsume your nuka colas and your booze, and so every long journey would run the risk of cola addiction and alcoholism. cool huh?

(i know IRL alcohol doesn't cure dehydration, it makes it worse, but still... who cares)

actually some time ago i started making a fallout 1 mod with these, but then i got lazy. :ermm:

I think it would be a nice feature to have something like cumulative 10% damage per day while dehydrated, 2% damage per day while starving, 1 ration of food and drink gets autoconsumed from your inventory every day to avoid/ cure dehydration/ starvation.

that way you'd autoconsume your nuka colas and your booze, and so every long journey would run the risk of cola addiction and alcoholism. cool huh?

(i know IRL alcohol doesn't cure dehydration, it makes it worse, but still... who cares)

actually some time ago i started making a fallout 1 mod with these, but then i got lazy. :ermm:

Redneck Rampage had the Booze and moonshine healing mechanic down pat :) (and pies N chips).

Pies gave you a gut and eventually started you passing loud gas unexpectedly (that actually moved you a bit... You could fart yourself off a ledge :lol:); Booze healed better than beer, and the more you drank the worse the controls got ~then the graphics would blur, and finally your keys were remapped. (The most incredible "egg" in that game was that in perfect theme... the player could know he was drunk and try to compensate by looking a bit to the left and if he wasn't too drunk, it worked, and he could go where he wanted and shoot with a bit better accuracy).

Edited by Gizmo

There's actually a rumor that a new Redneck Rampage is being made by blizzard of all companies

I personally think there's a better chance of seeing a sequel to Arcanum from Blizzard than RR.

Getting back to the religion discussion, I largely agree with Josh w/r/t broad concepts like race or religion being used as a vehicle for metaphor in games. When they are used as such they tend to be cartoonish and ham-fisted (see - Witcher). I would prefer there be as little of that as possible in F:NV. There's more interesting places to take religion in the game anyway. There's already been considerable attention paid to cults in the setting, which is probably the logical direction religion would take in a post-cataclysm dark age. Fallout ought to address how religion changes after the end of the world, if it's going to address it at all.

cartoonish and ham-fisted

That pretty much describes all games though, dealing with anything.