Obsidian making Fallout: New Vegas

Gorth

Well Peragus was integral to the story so its not like you should be able to skip it. T3's mad dash to save the Ebon Hawk is the real tutorial. And its a great one.

Since T3 is awesome.

This is actually what I meant. The way the story unfolded within the action is just awesome. ...And it told a story without spoken dialogue. It felt something like Alien. Really, conveying a lot through less text is a good thing. I mean, PST is still my fave, but there was still room to cut text. Some characters are more verbose than others, sure. (I'm one of them! hehe)

Anyhow, that tutorial with the Ebon Hawk is probably my favorite of any game.

The way the story unfolded within the action is just awesome. ...And it told a story without spoken dialogue. It felt something like Alien. Really, conveying a lot through less text is a good thing. I mean, PST is still my fave, but there was still room to cut text. Some characters are more verbose than others, sure. (I'm one of them! hehe)

This is what I wanted Obsidian to study when they began to design the canceled Aliens RPG game in order for them to keep a certain depth in console. IMO, ex-Looking Glass Studio members are good at this in the game industry. My blunder at that time was that I described it "cinematic" effect but I should have known that "cinematic" often means cut-scenes for gaming crowds, though.

An optional intro would be ideal, like Jack asking if you wanted to be shown the ropes in Bloodlines (though you actually lost out on experience and equipment when skipping that intro >_< )

Bloodlines intro is awesome

Anyone who hates the opening to Fallout 3 can simply create a major save right before exiting the vault. It then gives you the option as you leave to change ANYTHING about your character.

I personally thought the beginning was one of the best openning tutorial sections I've seen in a RPG.

Anyone who hates the opening to Fallout 3 can simply create a major save right before exiting the vault. It then gives you the option as you leave to change ANYTHING about your character.

Personally, I just prefer to run the alternate start roleplaying mod and skip the intro entirely. Just pick an interesting history option (complete with modified stats and starting gear), and set age state and size through the console or gts customization option. Suddenly I pop into the wastes as a grissled and tall Lemmy Killinger, the junk-rummaging alternate universe doppelganger of the infamous Motorhead frontman. Throw in a couple of carefully chosen companion mods, and I've got my shotgun toting post apocalyptic groupies. :D

But for all of us, there will come a point where it does matter, and it's gonna be like having a miniature suit-head shoving sticks up your butt all the time. - Tigranes

I personally thought the beginning was one of the best openning tutorial sections I've seen in a RPG.

Good Lord, man. Why?

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Good Lord, man. Why?

maybe because it's the only point in FO3 where Bethesda successfully tricks you into thinking the character you build will make any sort of difference? they should mod in a giggling Todd Howard character who says "just keeeeding! we don't want you to get upset, you can do anything!" right before you leave the vault.

Personally I was not really happy with the intro of Fallout 3.

The baby steps part was a nice chuckle and ok as a "This is wsad. It is used to move around" part of the tutorial.

The Birthday Party was... so so... Not because of the party itself but the "fish out of water" aspect you faced when talking to Amata right off the bat. If wishes were horses then I would have liked to have another section that took place before your birthday; a somewhat tutorial section where you go with dad to work as a kid and help him with doing what kids do at work; ie fetch coffee, take this printouts to mr.x take these pills to granny y. etc. I would have liked to have a chance to see and Interact with other Vault personalities more.

The Goat felt the same way as the birthday party. It was presented without any story supports or anything. Also why did whole vault sequence had to take place in the same 20 rooms. In the olden days of FO1 we just saw an entrance area with emergency medical room and a very small slice of a residental area consisting of 8 or 10 rooms and the library-canteen-control room area. Sure I can understand engine limitations on the engine but I was really looking for seeing more of the Vault this time.

Anyway the Tutorial of FO3 was decent but it had too many missing parts in it to make you care about the Vault or your Father. 5 minutes of playtime where you interact with dady really was not enough.

Anyway it would be nice to have a tutorial that is mixed with the first act/level/part of the game for the NV. And also the less constricting it feels, the better it is. Just think of a tutorial like this one:

The camera shows us a patched up and fortress like apartment complex. It passes trough some halls and up some old stairs and stops in front of 2 doors, leading to Female and Male parts of these slums. You press right or left and the camera continues on to enter a small room, not much larger than a closet at the end. The camera does a flyby: a small, not so clean and very untidy room, then focuses on a figure sprawled on the couch with some bottles around him/her. The figure is waking up muttering to himself, cursing headache and need to go to the head. He gets to his feet jerkily and the controls switch to you. You are instructed to go to the head by the constant drunken mumblings of your character. Anyway after completing this quest the camera shows hour character from 4 oclock and from hip height looking at your right shoulder as your char tries to slap some water to his face and looks at the broken mirror; mumbling things like "**** i need a shave...) At this point the face/body generator kicks in. Then your character starts whining about being hungry and he needs his pass from the apartment service to get some slop from the cantina. You go back to your room, try to find out where you put your papers in the unholy mess of your room. When you find the damn things, the create your character stats and skills and background interface pops up. After that silliness you get to cantina to get some chow where you get the basics of social interactions etc. by trying to get the unburned meals or second helpings or verbally sparing with other people in the place.

After some more complicated things that result in getting on the bad side of Security goons of the complex, you are given back %50 your remaining rent for the next month and told to leave.

IG. We kick ass and not even take names.

As an Elder Scrolls 'veteran', I was pleasantly surprised, even relieved, that FINALLY Bethesda threw away the old "random unknown (usually a prisoner) gets send into the unknown" shtick. At least FO3 managed to give some background to the PC.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Yeah I also think the Fallout 3 Intro was well done.

I wonder what Obsidian has in mind for Vegas' intro. Ghoul Strippers?

Or possibly a Super Mutant Elvis impersonator singing Viva Las Vegas?

Robert Ghoulet? :sorcerer:

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Yeah I also think the Fallout 3 Intro was well done.

I wonder what Obsidian has in mind for Vegas' intro. Ghoul Strippers?

Or possibly a Super Mutant Elvis impersonator singing Viva Las Vegas?

Robert Ghoulet? :sorcerer:

I don't think the gamebryo engine can handle the physics for a mustache of that caliber.

But for all of us, there will come a point where it does matter, and it's gonna be like having a miniature suit-head shoving sticks up your butt all the time. - Tigranes

I really hope that Robert Ghoulet will now appear in the game somewhere.

Or at least a grave with his name on it.

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Fallout's new Vegas may shape up to be a gambling mecca filled with handy mechanical card dealers, ghoulish lounge acts, and supermutant bouncers. :thumbsup:

I wouldn't mind that. But wouldn't True Fallout Fans take issue?

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Fallout's new Vegas may shape up to be a gambling mecca filled with handy mechanical card dealers, ghoulish lounge acts, and supermutant bouncers. :thumbsup:

I wouldn't mind that. But wouldn't True Fallout Fans take issue?

Meh, that'll happen anyway.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Bah I think it should a bastion of post-apocalyptic puritanism.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra