What you did today

Gorth

Who puts TWO commas right in the middle of a main clause for no other reason than to screw with you. You guessed it, the Japanese.

From what i gather, with their blend of Katakana, Hiragana and Kanji, is that there are no commas or whitespaces within a sentence. Very difficult for a westener to read.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I began today in an unexpected fashion by having my bank make me laugh like a drain. :) Apparently Barclays feel their superb service warrants an increase in my monthly charges. Never mind the fact that I've recently had some huge spats with them over a manner of issues (from their financing of the Burmese junta to their moronic fraud detection system), or the fact that I'm a lucrative customer for them... no. So, with genuine pleasure I will be taking my business elsewhere. A genuine pleasure only flawed in that it did not come earlier.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

My new speak system for my PC arrived today. I sat around and stared at the box for a while. Decided that I was too tired to start setting it up. No way is the sub woofer going to fit under my desk, so some re-arranging is required. It will proably have to wait until the weekend :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Who puts TWO commas right in the middle of a main clause for no other reason than to screw with you. You guessed it, the Japanese.

From what i gather, with their blend of Katakana, Hiragana and Kanji, is that there are no commas or whitespaces within a sentence. Very difficult for a westener to read.

There's commas, which they would like to regard as having rules. The truth is they sprinkle them around with no discernible regularity. In English commas make it easy to recognize dependent clauses, etc. they serve a purpose, are dependable...

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

There's commas, which they would like to regard as having rules. The truth is they sprinkle them around with no discernible regularity. In English commas make it easy to recognize dependent clauses, etc. they serve a purpose, are dependable...

Figures, my understanding in japanase is limited at reading roadsigns at best.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Today I've been pondering, procrastinating, walking on a treadmill, entertaining the dog and filling out a VAT return. Living the dream!

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein

Up betimes and to my Lord Sandwich's house, there to look over the Admiralty books...

Wait, no that was yesterday. Four hundred years ago.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I'm still sitting around the house in my bathrobe, filled with a lack of desire to run a bunch of errands I have to run.

Grumbling about how owning a house didn't help with our taxes at all. That's what happens when you don't have any kids or other major deductions and have to file self-employment.

Looking at the back of my morning drink of diet soda - mmm, brominated vegetable oil, yellow dye #5, caffeine (the important part), and lots of other I'm-sure-are-bad-for-me chemicals. Yummy!

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

owning a home only helps if your interest is high enough to add significantly to your itemized deductions. we paid off so much principal the first 5 years (at 3.875%) that our deductions got to the point it was almost more equitable to take the standard deduction. in tax terms that means we don't own enough mortgage. last year it jumped to 6.5%, but that wasn't enough to offset the principal reduction (and corresponding drop in actual interest paid). we're back down to 4.5% for this year, so taxes next year are going to suck a whole out of my wallet. even our HELOC is low again. i almost have to buy a new house and be bankrupted by my mortgage just to keep from being bankrupted by the IRS. sigh...

taks

comrade taks... just because.

we're back down to 4.5% for this year, so taxes next year are going to suck a whole out of my wallet. even our HELOC is low again. i almost have to buy a new house and be bankrupted by my mortgage just to keep from being bankrupted by the IRS. sigh...

taks

The taxes were always a pain but now it + the state business/program slowdown is beginning to crimp us. Our old rent was very cheap so it was easy to save lots beyond what's needed for taxes - our mortgage on this tiny house is not cheap, meaning a lot less to work with. Fark over-priced real estate and the unrealistically-low-for-this-area "this is a jumbo loan" number.

We have a fixed rate of around 6% and at the time were lucky to get it. We think we'll qualify for a refinance under some of the new stuff going on, which could give us something closer to 4.5% and would save quite a bit and give more breathing room. Looking into that.

We're still pleased to have bought, tho. :)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

So far today, I made myself a burrito for breakfast, went with my grandpa to go get some wood for his fence, reloaded some shotgun shells, and now I'm eating rice krispies and goldfish.

Hey now, my mother is huge and don't you forget it. The drunk can't even get off the couch to make herself a vodka drenched sandwich. Octopus suck.

owning a home only helps if your interest is high enough to add significantly to your itemized deductions. we paid off so much principal the first 5 years (at 3.875%) that our deductions got to the point it was almost more equitable to take the standard deduction. in tax terms that means we don't own enough mortgage. last year it jumped to 6.5%, but that wasn't enough to offset the principal reduction (and corresponding drop in actual interest paid). we're back down to 4.5% for this year, so taxes next year are going to suck a whole out of my wallet. even our HELOC is low again. i almost have to buy a new house and be bankrupted by my mortgage just to keep from being bankrupted by the IRS. sigh...

taks

You might want to strangle me to death one day. We had a person from the IRS come to our class today to present and I think I want to be a revenue agent. I mean she had a bunch of stories and like one time she audited some chick who was a professional whore and also converted her home into a brothel with male prostitutes. How could I walk away from something like that? Plus she almost exclusively works solo which is awesome for me becuase it's an introverts paradise and the pay schedule/benefits/40 hour week is quite glorious not to mention you don't need a CPA. But who knows, I'll have to take a few tax classes to know what I'm getting into. But something that is kind of funny is that the IRS doesn't care what the hell you do, be it highly illegal or not, just as long as you pay your taxes and get it right. Nearly all her stories including the prostitute weren't charged unless they committed fraud or some other act involving taxes. Pretty amazing stuff.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

You might want to strangle me to death one day.

when and where? i'll get hell kitty involved for some stabbing, too.

We had a person from the IRS come to our class today to present and I think I want to be a revenue agent.

i actually had a job offer from the IRS when i first graduated in 1990. yes, they hire engineers. who better to audit large technical firms. i declined, obviously.

How could I walk away from something like that?

yes, but what about the dude that converted his home into a male bathhouse complete with "special" services?

taks

We're still pleased to have bought, tho. :)

owning is sooo much better if you are responsible enough. in COS, rent for something i would like, at least, something suitably sized for my family that fits our lifestyle would be considerably more expensive than our house payment, and we're paying more than we need to. in fact, my rent in 2002 was actually less than my required house payment is now and the apartment was 1000 sq. ft., while the house is 3300 sq. ft. (barely a yard). property taxes in COS are quite low compared to most places, too. now if i could figure a way out of the 4% state income tax... grrr.

taks

taks

Quit whining, we have a stimulus to pay for. :)

yeah... maybe my health will deteriorate to the point that i won't have to live through that bankruptcy. i've been sick for most of the past 2 months, why not? :)

taks

rent for something i would like, at least, something suitably sized for my family that fits our lifestyle would be considerably more expensive than our house payment,

Our house payment is almost 3 times what the rent was on the somewhat bigger single-family we were in. But that isn't average - we had a superb deal on the rental due to a "leave me seriously alone and it stays cheap" retired rich dude kind of owner. 3000+ sf house ... hahaha, in RWC/penninsula that'd likely be well over a million, even now. Not for us, sadly. Not that we'd need that much. A couple thousand would be nice tho. :)

why is that spelled 'mortgage'...

Because it is?

It is a funny spelling tho, isn't it ... most of us here pronounce it close to "more-gauge." Dictionary com says it has some French roots. Maybe that's why?

Edited by LadyCrimson

At least I don't have a mortage, why is that spelled 'mortgage'...

The great jurist Sir Edward Coke, who lived from 1552 to 1634, has explained why the term mortgage comes from the Old French words mort,

"dead" & "pledge" - I can see that. "By signing this paper, you pledge to be in debt until you're dead!" hah.

Side note: I really hate it when people are looking over your shoulder as you type. I try very hard to look away/not read when other people are doing it, but some folk (my hubby, ahem) just stare and stare until you're done and you can look at them and say "yes, need something?" One of those things that shouldn't bug me but does anyway. :)

I had a rather weird end to my day, today, where a bunch of stuff happened to me for the first time.

I bought Fallout 3 for the PC, today. This, in itself, isn't that weird, even if a bit unexpected. However, not only did I buy Fallout 3, but I bought it used, in a Portuguese Game, from a fairly hot female Portuguese gamer(WAT???), who proceeded to offer me noob advice on how to play F3. Her advice was in the form of a question, when she asked whether I was going to cheat. At first I thought she meant VATS, but I just pointed out that it's a pretty easy game, which prompted her to explain that F3 takes 300 hours to finish. I told her that that was a load of marketing bollocks, although not in so many words. I left the store wondering if I was having some sort of drug induced dream, or if this chain of events was one of the signs of the apocalypse.

I'm guessing her reaction to me buying F3 means either that: a)I don't look like a gamer; b)I look old or; c)both.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I laughed at this Conficker nonsense. Repeatedly. It's utterly ridiculous. Even Molyneux doesn't promise that much stuff in one thing. Okay, maybe that's an exaggeration.

Edited by I want teh kotor 3
In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

I laughed at this Conficker nonsense. Repeatedly. It's utterly ridiculous. Even Molyneux doesn't promise that much stuff in one thing. Okay, maybe that's an exaggeration.

You won't laugh so much when your computer dies.

I bet it turns out its such an elaborate Rick Roll.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"