AP questions

Hey, i haven't decided if i want to get AP when it is released and have a few questions.

Is DeusEx an inspiration for AP?

Can we finish this game without using weapons techno Thief style (stealth + hacking) maybe as a challenge and reward for those who explore every corner and secret of the game world?

Are there any bosses that cannot be avoided?

Are hub maps as big as DeusEx maps (not DeusEx2) with side-quests and freedom to explore?

Can we use gas, explosive, emp and incendiary grenades are grenades rare and limited resources like in DeusEx or an abundant resource?

Is there any climbing skill or climbing gloves tool like the one in Thief 3?

If dialog can be used as a skill how frequently can we use dialog to motivate characters and influence their behavior?

Dialog is like ME caveman talk with with one or two word lines or do we see completely formed sentences of what we are going to say?

Does AP uses ME dialog wheel (something i heard)?

Dialog is like ME caveman talk with with one or two word lines or do we see completely formed sentences of what we are going to say?

The dialogue system looks to be extensive and fairly unique. There won't be completely formed sentences, but nor will there be misleading summaries ala ME (presumably you won't be shooting anybody unless you specifically tell the PC to do just that)

Does AP uses ME dialog wheel (something i heard)?

There is no dialogue wheel in the ME sense, with the right thumbstick navigating possible choices. Rather the X,Y,A and B buttons (and their PS3 / PC equivalents) will be utilized.

The presentation may seem simplified in comparison to ME's dialogue system, but on the other hand AP's dialogue system is far more dynamic based on real time decisions.

For example, in the early demo presentation Obsidian had was providing a player several choices to get pass through the armed US Embassy guards to get to a key NPC. It goes on along the lines of like this (Based on my poor memory):

Spoilers!

Mike: Dood! I need to see important X NPC in the embassy, let me in!

Guard: Nu uh. No credentials, no one is to see the VIP.

Mike: But dood! NPC is in danger! You got to let me in, NAO!

Guard: KK. Let me call in for confirmation. (Phones the peeps in the embassy to go through red tapes)

At this point, the player who controls Mike could:

A) choose to wait out by pressing nothing while the guard gets the needed confirmation from the peeps in the embassy,

B) attack the guard to force himself inside instead to save time.

C) Sneak pass the guard by finding other ways into the embassy like air vents, hacking terminals or just being good in sneaking.

And unlike ME, the consequences will be apparent immediately in how the following scenario unfolds in the embassy. By choosing A, the waste of time results in the embassy being under attack by unknown assailants. But with your credentials proven to the Soldier, the soldiers engaged in the crossfire with the enemies are now your allies in combat.

Choosing B however results in becoming an enemy yourself amongst the US marines. But it gives you a better chance to reach the NPC in time or actually results in reaching him on time. Unfortunately the action will have long term repurcussions and the US military would perceive Mike as a vigilante which affects future interactions with the said faction.

By picking C would place the player as an unseen intruder which the soldiers would shoot you on sight if you allowed yourself exposed. But its not clear to me what consequence will there be for picking C since Obsidian chose A for the demo.

So in short, unlike ME which the decisions only affect the ending or simply an increase in either Paragon or Renegade points, the decisions made in AP will affect the gameplay scenario. This is the goal which Obsidian is trying to achieve in Alpha Protocol and if it is executed as they claimed so, AP actually has far deeper impact and depth in the area gameplay of Choice and Consequences.

I doubt there will be many situations like that. My guess 2 or 3.

You guess wrong!

:brows:

Ooh, let me try too! My guess is 1. The entire embassy situation is a lie invented by the PR department to make us all excited. In reality, AP is more linear and has more railroading than an average jRPG. Am I right? :*

20795.jpg

Thanks everyone for the replies.

@GeneralLee

Can you say if this game will have bosses in unavoidable places that will force you to fight or can we play this game like a techno thief without using any weapons?

DeusEx had this. It was very cool and an harder challenge to replay the game and discover hidden stuff.

Wait.

There will be four.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

My guess is 17.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

They will all be procedurally generated to provide a Stealth, Guns and Sex option for every instance, and then give you level-generated loot based on your class.

It selects the one that you have highlighted I think... Or not. Maybe it just uses the first choice.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

It goes with the same path you took on the previous node. First node, no idea.

The game defaults to "Professional" if you have not inputted anything; after that, it will default to whatever you've chosen during the first option.

Matthew Rorie

It goes with the same path you took on the previous node. First node, no idea.

The game defaults to "Professional" if you have not inputted anything; after that, it will default to whatever you've chosen during the first option.

Devs have been posting a lot recently.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

We want to help. ;(

This can only mean one thing: Feargus is gone for a few days so the devs don't have to fear his whip. They're probably dancing naked on the tables as we speak.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!