Dragon Age Discussion

deganawida

Has anybdoy heard or do they know if this is going to be Bioware's final PC game?

My understanding is that Bio is now a Multiplatform developer. All titles from now on will be PC-360-PS3 titles, including DA (confirmed) and ME2 (inofficially confirmed). Why would they do exclusive stuff anyway? Doesn't make sense for EA's politics.

Yep, that is pretty much it, though I don't know why they bother making a PS3 version. Its pretty much a dead system. It is Sony's Dreamcast.

Edited by Killian Kalthorne

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

Yep, that is pretty much it, though I don't know why they bother making a PS3 version. Its pretty much a dead system. It is Sony's Dreamcast.

That's easy. As long as the cost of producing a port is less than the revenue, it will be done.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Is the PS3 doing so badly in sales?

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

Is the PS3 doing so badly in sales?

Not really. IIRC it's "only" got 20 million to the 360's 28 million or so.

Bad animations? You are telling me that a good crpg has good animations? That bad animations make a bad crpg? Come on. You're older than that.

A good game generally has good animations. Why should a RPG be measured by any lesser standards? Watch the videos again. I don't care about the slow movements, I care more about how they don't seem to interact with each other, even in combat. The swords are swinging but nothing reacts. A few numbers fly around, that's it. Check them when they're turning in their little circles. They don't move their feet, they just swivel around their own axis. Check out the mage casting spells. It looks like an animation from the eighties where you had like five frames that repeated over and over because of memory constraints. It looks stiff, unnatural and bad enough to actually detract from the game.

Some games have decent enough animations that you don't immediately notice them (that was Gothic 3 for me, which I have no idea why you guys even bring up in this thread), some games have such brilliant animation systems that you actually jump around and trip willingly over stuff just to see what your character will do next (Uncharted: Drake's Fortune) and some games have such bad sets of animation that it's actually disturbing.

Atrocious combat? On what planet do great crpgs have great or even good combat? Fallout, Bloodlines, System Shock 2, Deus Ex, all the IE games, Daggerfall, Arcanum, I could go on and on. All these games were great crpgs or crpg hybrids that had horribly flawed combat. COmbat has little or nothing to do with the quality of a crpg.

Again, there's no reason to judge a RPG lighter than any other genre just because it's an RPG. If an RPG chooses to have combat as a vital part of its gameplay mechanics, then I sure as hell want that combat to be fun, demanding and challenging. Of course, it's difficult to see from those short videos what kind of combat the final product will have, but so far it's looking as bad as Neverwinter Nights 2 combat. I don't mind dress-up doll combat if it's done well (Silent Storm, Jagged Alliance 2), let's hope this one is more fun than it looks right now.

Interface? I love it when interface complaints come up. I wish I had 10 euros for every complaint I've ever heard about the interface in every single game ever.

I prefer interfaces that are clean and non-obtrusive. What I've seen so far from Dragon Age indicates that it will be filled with buttons and meters and everything else and his grandma cluttering up the screen. I personally hate that. Apparently you guys don't mind.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

The day we accept bad CRPG combat just because it's a CRPG is the day we get more and more CRPGs with bad combat. Which is what's happening.

It's better than getting no CRPGs or CRPGs with crappy stories IMO.

Edited by Purkake

Screw that, lots of RPGs had good combat. IE combat was good. NWN2 combat would be good with good AI and good tactical situations, which Tony K's AI, MOTB/SOZ and mods sort of proved.

I prefer interfaces that are clean and non-obtrusive. What I've seen so far from Dragon Age indicates that it will be filled with buttons and meters and everything else and his grandma cluttering up the screen. I personally hate that. Apparently you guys don't mind.

It looks nearly exactly like NWN2 actually, where's the clutter?

I agree the animations look quite bad upon a second look (maybe the Aurora engine made me blind to that). I won't mind too much though.

The day we accept bad CRPG combat just because it's a CRPG is the day we get more and more CRPGs with bad combat. Which is what's happening.

Unfortunately, we're already getting CRPGs with crappy stories. And we still manage to hail those games for their plots.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Unfortunately, we're already getting CRPGs with crappy stories. And we still manage to hail those games for their plots.

Such as?

And if that's the case, then good combat is not going to save them. Unless we are talking about action RPGs, where story isn't the fun part.

Edited by Purkake

Mass Effect comes to mind. And KOTOR.

Heja Sverige!!

since the general opinion is that combat is boring and people shouldn't have to be interested in it.

Of whose general opinon do you speak? Is this what the devs have said?

The developers have said nothing like that.

Read my post again, I never atributed those words to the developers.

Read my post again. I never said you atributed those words to the developers.

Crash Girl asked a question and I answered.

Has anybdoy heard or do they know if this is going to be Bioware's final PC game?

ME 2 will be out for PC.

I think this is the last game they develop with the PC primarily in mind.

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

"I can't think of a single CRPG that could hold its own based on its combat system alone (and why shouldn't it?) in the last 5 yrs."

i can name as many CRPGs with good combat in the last 5 years than I can in the 5 years before that. This idea that CRPGs are getting worst is silly. Overall, they're getting better.

"The problem is, regardless of what type of combat system they've been trying for since then (NWN, KOTOR, JE, ME), they've all been dumbed-down drivel. "

How the heck was NWN combat dumbed down compared to BG2? If anything it was 'smarted up'.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I have to be honest. At first, i thought that the second screenshot was from a completely different game, namely one such featuring anime-influenced emos, bitter and angry about the lack of furries.

Then i realized that it was Dragon Age, it was all fine :o

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Some new and sexy screens I found:

800x600_prop.jpg

800x600_prop.jpg

800x600_prop.jpg

Titties and furries! This game can only win!

Edit: Who else gets the Victoria (Thief2) vibe from the 2nd screen?

If you read Mary's comment here,

http://dragonage.bioware.com/forums/viewto...7&forum=135

she says that the lady in question is not a lady since she is not a mammal (woman) and therefore do not have nipples at all. That comment made a few people :o and :* again on the forums. If she is not a mammal, then what is she? I agree, she doesn't look (too) human...

Edited by aries101

Please support http://www.maternityworldwide.org/ - and save a mother giving birth to a child.

Please support, Andrew Bub, the gamerdad - at http://gamingwithchildren.com/

BREAKING NEWS: Creatures that look exactly like mammals, and have things that look like breasts hanging from their torsos are not, actually, mammals.

That makes no sense whatsoever.

Heja Sverige!!