LA Noire

Maria Caliban

Heavy Rain has become the standard for adventure games. It makes me sad a bit.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Never played it, so am curious. Why does it make you sad?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Because people around here should know better. It was a good game, but people are acting like it's the only one.

Edited by Tale

Never understood the concept of watching other people play. I got to do enough of that in the 80s with hot seat multiplayer. ;)

Useful way to get the SP experience for free, on rails games especially. Did that for Modern Warfare 2, worked well.

Same. Did it for mw2, black ops, crysis 2, and will do for mw3. lol

Because people around here should know better. It was a good game, but people are acting like it's the only one.

It was a terrible game. An excellent experience though!

Name me another commercially successful 3D adventure game post Grim Fandango that isn't Dreamfall and you'll maybe have a point!

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Name me another commercially successful 3D adventure game post Grim Fandango that isn't Dreamfall and you'll maybe have a point!
Do you have avatars turned off or something?

Telltale's Monkey Island games did well, no ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I've done 7 main story missions so far, and so far the game is fun, but not outstanding.

Some of the interviews are a bit annoying, in that I'll watch for visual cues about whether a suspect is lying and it becomes obvious they are, but the clues are so vague I'm not sure whether to click "Doubt" or "Lie" to call them on it. It would be also nice to have a bit more freedom. For instance, in one case I'm waiting on a license plate being run for me, but I can't call into the station to see if it's been done. The option only becomes available after an interview, but I was hoping to have that info in order to use it in the interview.

Overall, it's a fun romp. But I think it's a notch below the GTAs and Red Dead Redemption, so far.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I've done 7 main story missions so far, and so far the game is fun, but not outstanding.

Some of the interviews are a bit annoying, in that I'll watch for visual cues about whether a suspect is lying and it becomes obvious they are, but the clues are so vague I'm not sure whether to click "Doubt" or "Lie" to call them on it. It would be also nice to have a bit more freedom. For instance, in one case I'm waiting on a license plate being run for me, but I can't call into the station to see if it's been done. The option only becomes available after an interview, but I was hoping to have that info in order to use it in the interview.

Yeah, this is kind of what I meant to say earlier.

Overall, it's a fun romp. But I think it's a notch below the GTAs and Red Dead Redemption, so far.

I haven't played RDR (and I doubt I will), but I think it's better than any of the 3 GTA games I have played (GTAIII-IV, Vice City). So, if you are strange like me and hate the open-world bs of gtas, this might be more up your alley. ;)

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

The little I played it so far, I actually thought it too open world. The driving seemed gratuitous.

The little I played it so far, I actually thought it too open world. The driving seemed gratuitous.

I don't drive very often, I let the partner handle it while I go over my notes.

He doesn't seem to mind after that one time I accidently ran over a tax-paying citizen.

I'd agree if it was forced, but I actually like having the option over having to simply always go with the one or the other.

Also appreciate the ability to skip action sequences, as there is one in particular that instakilled me the necessary amount of times before it gave me the option. I literally died the in the first second every time, and again I'm going to call out piss-poor design on that one rather than my inability to grasp the controls (which happened too).

so the verdict on this is what?

worth full price?

worth half price?

worthless?

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Never understood the concept of watching other people play.

Same. If I'm interested enough to watch then I'm going to want to play myself, and I don't want to watch someone else do it and have it spoiled.

Clearly, you all didn't grow up in an environment where your next door neighbor had an NES, and you didn't. Sure, we'd take turns when appropriate, but sometimes you have to take what you can get.

(This also might explain why I find less satisfaction in the thumb-agility element of gaming than most people seem to. He was nearly always better than I was at the games, so I found my satisfaction in figuring them out ("Try bombing that wall over there") moreso than actually playing them.)

so the verdict on this is what?

worth full price?

worth half price?

worthless?

Full price. I mean it is a very solid game, but it is also an amazing bit of technology. While I agree that some of the heads look a bit weird, the facial expressions are an amazing of what we hopefully will see more of in the future. And it isn't just a gimmick, it's an integral part of the game.

So yeah, I'm a big fan of supporting ambitious new projects like this, particularly considering there is so much focus on established IP's nowadays.

Same. If I'm interested enough to watch then I'm going to want to play myself, and I don't want to watch someone else do it and have it spoiled.

Clearly, you all didn't grow up in an environment where your next door neighbor had an NES, and you didn't. Sure, we'd take turns when appropriate, but sometimes you have to take what you can get.

As a kid I had a friend who would always bring his Atari over and we'd take turns playing games like Pitfall and River Raid. Another friend had all the old Sierra adventure games, and we'd play together trying to figure out the puzzles, which is probably the most fun I've ever had playing computer games with another person.

I was thinking more of my adult gamer self, where most of the people I know who game do it casually, mostly mobile phone stuff. For the types of games I'm interested in, watching someone else play means watching a "Let's Play" video or somesuch.

Some of the interviews are a bit annoying, in that I'll watch for visual cues about whether a suspect is lying and it becomes obvious they are, but the clues are so vague I'm not sure whether to click "Doubt" or "Lie" to call them on it.

There are visual clues as the NPC react somewhat differently laying.

The real problem with game is whole evidence collection and interpretation.

I never get what the player character has in mind and constantly end up testing what 'Lie' option says.

Dose anyone else have a problem with a slippery slope during gathering clues?

Whenever I get first few questions wrong I soon end up unable to call 'Lie' as I lack the right evidence, that effect seems to get bigger as the case progresses resulting in a poor showing.

The point isn't only to watch the game but how other people react to them and solve problems presented.

Besides that it's a perfectly good way to experience story/narrative in games without having to suffer through generic action sections.

It sounds like you guys aren't watching enough Law & Order: CI. I'm like Vincent D'onofrio up in this game, laying down the evidence and cruising right through to the confession.

Seriously though, I'm at about 80% with successes. Sometimes I try to save a big piece of evidence for later and that doesn't work, but other than that I find it easy to read.

293yrv5.jpg

Edited by Hurlshot

Well, like I said before, it's precisely because of those days that I don't get it. I got to do enough of it when I was 10-11, and while essentially watching my Best Friend play Secret of the Silver Blades through back in the day was tons of fun, I like to spend my free time doing stuff and experiencing things rather than watch other people do it.

Ok, except for Dirty Jobs and Deadliest Catch.

More seriously though, if I want to watch something, I'll watch a movie or some tv series, I'll only turn to games if I want to do something.

Similar situation has shaped my experince too. Except it was VIC-20 and c64. All kids from the street gathered to one house and since only 2 (max) could play at the same time, it meant that most had to watch. Or take turns. To this day I still probably watch more games then play 'em, thanks to youtube, let's plays, multiplayer battles and speed runs. All my RL friends who still play are garbage at 'em and it's too frustrating to to watch 'em fail even in simple tasks :p

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.