LA Noire

Maria Caliban

PLayed this for few hours yesterday. Got through training and traffic division. Now i'm with homicide. I ended up leaving audio/visual clues on because otherwise it would be near impossible to find some evidence without them. Also, although the story progression is very linear, it seems like mission progression has some branching parts - get to the scene of domestic disturbance quick enough and you can catch the attackers. In the end you can still beat the cases, but branching does help with the narrative.

V/A and animations are best i've ever seen. Writing is noire campy, but fantastically so. Most of the time it really feels like you're watching a movie. Basically it's another win for rockstar.

OK, I'm sold. Going on the to buy list.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

No PC makes Rockstar an evil dev.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Since I start with two DLC codes, I'm not in too much of a rush to play it. The PS3 exclusive mission is a traffic case, even, so I'm thinking that'll be something early.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

From all of the previews and trailers for this.. I have to say, that while I'm impressed by the facial expressions and the animation.. there's something that really looks wrong about their heads in some way. And I can't quite pick out what it is that's bugging me.

And yeah, no matter how I look at it, I just can't justify 200 quid to play two games.. :p

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I've thought about this game a bit more and realised that it's basically closest to adventure games in its DNA. You pixel hunt to find items, then figure out how to use the items and observe the effects to figure out what to say to people....sorta... then you get an action sequence.

The atmosphere and delivery is just sooo spot on though...

Edited by vault_overseer

Pre-release I saw a lot of people talking about it as an adventure. Which I was glad to read.

Quoting Rockstar Games.

We have received some reports of PS3s overheating while playing L.A. Noire or beeping three times before shutting down/turning themselves off, mostly on older 60GB and 80GB fat models.

Primary reports seem to be that updating to firmware 3.61 will cause PlayStations to overheat. There have been various reports of this on a few different games now, all reporting their PS3s turning off or "Red Lighting" after having installed 3.61. This can range from games randomly freezing to PS3s turning off anywhere between 30 mins use to 2 hours. We have confirmed locally that multiple games (Rockstar and non-Rockstar) overheat or freeze only when 3.61 is installed.

At this time we are recommending contacting Sony directly to report the overheating issue. However, this is not the end of our support; we are continuing to test L.A. Noire on all firmware versions and hardware models to isolate the issues and see what can be done. As always, we will update this article as soon as we have updates.

Quoting Rockstar Games.

We have received some reports of PS3s overheating while playing L.A. Noire or beeping three times before shutting down/turning themselves off, mostly on older 60GB and 80GB fat models.

Primary reports seem to be that updating to firmware 3.61 will cause PlayStations to overheat. There have been various reports of this on a few different games now, all reporting their PS3s turning off or "Red Lighting" after having installed 3.61. This can range from games randomly freezing to PS3s turning off anywhere between 30 mins use to 2 hours. We have confirmed locally that multiple games (Rockstar and non-Rockstar) overheat or freeze only when 3.61 is installed.

At this time we are recommending contacting Sony directly to report the overheating issue. However, this is not the end of our support; we are continuing to test L.A. Noire on all firmware versions and hardware models to isolate the issues and see what can be done. As always, we will update this article as soon as we have updates.

OH GOD DAMNIT

I updated, but I didn't do anything other than install the game last night. I think I'll hold off.

sony is having a rough year.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Damn, this game looks so right up my alley...

Any chance that the recent series of Playstation-related problems has caused a major price drop? We do now have a 2nd HDTV and a couch in the basement, so a console system wouldn't be as unworkable for our household as it has been. (I often play games when my wife is watching TV that I don't like, so a system that used the only TV was pretty much a non-starter.)

Damn, this game looks so right up my alley...

Any chance that the recent series of Playstation-related problems has caused a major price drop? We do now have a 2nd HDTV and a couch in the basement, so a console system wouldn't be as unworkable for our household as it has been. (I often play games when my wife is watching TV that I don't like, so a system that used the only TV was pretty much a non-starter.)

They are easier to find used or refurbished from Gamestop, I'd imagine.

I played it a few hours with no trouble, but I haven't updated and I stay offline as much as possible.

Hmm.. I do own an Xbox 360.. but three discs..? And shooting with a crappy controller?!

PORT IT TO PC, DAMN ROCKSTAR!

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Haven't read anything about it other than this thread, but got me vaguely interested. Hey, it could be the first game I ever play on my Xbox. ;)

Would Tex Murphy be a comparable analogue?

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

http://support.rockstargames.com/entries/2...ng-in-l-a-noire

Looking at the feedback there, everybody might be better off waiting for a while, no matter the system you are on. Now seriously considering not picking up my preorder.

And yet the game gets great reviews. Soo, all the review copies just happened to work properly and only paying customers seem to have problems? :)

Hate the living, love the dead.

The game gets great reviews. Soo, all the review copies just happened to work properly and only paying customers seem to have problems? :)

Well, a couple of days ago I got a tweet from an independent game journalist (which is kind of putting it charitably, but yeah) who said that she's refused to review Rockstar games, since they, ahem, put considerable pressure on the reviewers.

That's when I first started to consider not buying it, tbh. The fact that I'm 1/4 for liking the Rockstar games I've bought always makes me a bit leery, too, and now this. Maybe going to pick it up in the bargain bin after a couple of patches, I guess... :/

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

If I held off on playing games because of issues other people are having I'd never play anything.

While a wise approach on the PC side, less so when dealing with consoles.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Quoting Rockstar Games.

The thread that info came from has been deleted.

Rockstar has retracted its accusation that firmware 3.61 causes PS3 versions of L.A. Noire to crash and freeze due to the console overheating.

Sony last night condemned Rockstar's claim as "rumour" and "speculation". Rockstar has removed the offending post from its website.

Rockstar's support FAQ has been updated to offer routine troubleshooting steps for L.A. Noire owners experience problems on both PS3 and Xbox 360. There's no mention of PS3 firmware 3.61.