BREAKING NEWS: NEW EXCLUSIVE DRAGON AGE FOOTAGE

Llyranor

Do you think 'the larger scale combat' actually means that the game will be an RTS/RPG hybrid. This game footage or trailer does indeed seem to suggest that this could indeed be the case. Apart from me worrying about this, I sort of liked it. I was intrigues when the King (His Majesty) mentioned the Blight. What is it? And how do the player character fit into this particular world setting...

Please support http://www.maternityworldwide.org/ - and save a mother giving birth to a child.

Please support, Andrew Bub, the gamerdad - at http://gamingwithchildren.com/

Will DA feature real combat like Oblivion or classic point-n-click?

if Oblivion is what passes for real combat these days, i'd be happier with point-n-click. Witcher combat was good though.

i hope this isn't an RTS/RPG hybrid btw. the large scale battles in HOTU and NWN2 were fine but i don't need them to be a recurrent feature of CRPGs.

besides, any resources a developer expends on the RTS aspects of a game is typically resources that could have gone to the RPG aspects. if i wanted to play RTS, i'd buy a proper RTS like the old Warcraft, not some watered-down version of it.

Edited by newc0253

dumber than a bag of hammers

Will DA feature real combat like Oblivion or classic point-n-click?

if Oblivion is what passes for real combat these days, i'd be happier with point-n-click. Witcher combat was good though.

i hope this isn't an RTS/RPG hybrid btw. the large scale battles in HOTU and NWN2 were fine but i don't need them to be a recurrent feature of CRPGs.

besides, any resources a developer expends on the RTS aspects of a game is typically resources that could have gone to the RPG aspects. if i wanted to play RTS, i'd buy a proper RTS like the old Warcraft, not some watered-down version of it.

I've seen nothing on the forums indicating they're thinking of RTS in this at all. And since RTS isn't in their mission statement, I really doubt it has anything to do with that. They promised "larger scale battles" in DA than was possible withe the Aurora Engine. And, IMHO, this was an attempt to prove the DA engine will be able to do that within the confines of an RPG. For an IG cutscene (which it was confirmed this was) it's not dreadful. It's not scintillating, and I stand by my earlier comments about the NPC appearances, but it doesn't turn me off the game.

I swear, gamers are such hypocrites.

Everyone seems to complain that we never see the 60-80+ hour RPGs any more, and the reason they are given by the developers is that so much extra development time needs to go into the SHINY GRAFIX nowadays. So then the fans complain that it shouldn't be about the graphics, etc.

But then you see crap like what is going on in this thread. A trailer is released, and the game doesn't immediately have the visual fidelity of a high profile FPS, and so everyone starts slamming it. Developers are screwed either way.

Alpha Protocol got these same "looks like crap" responses when the first screens were released.

Alpha Protocol got these same "looks like crap" responses when the first screens were released.

The only thing wrong about Alpha Protocol's graphics was that they were too clean, which is what I've read most people complaining about. The art direction was a little too IKEA.

And seriously, it doesn't have to be Crysis in terms of technology. It doesn't take longer to make graphics look good, if you have competent artists and a strong direction. I seriously don't think it's as much about polygon counts and advanced graphics engines anymore.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I want to like Dragon Age, I really do, but based on this teaser I can't really say that I do. First they add the stupid Origins subtitle and now they release a as-generic-as-they-come teaser. The lightning looks weird at best and the graphics look plastic-y. I am by no means a graphics whore, but for the love of god - lay off the motion blur and ten other filters.

Alas, I will reserve my opinion till I see some gameplay footage, but judging by this, it is a far cry from the "spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate".

Edit: and what is up with the voice?

Edited by Purkake

*shrug* the only real problem with DA's visuals is that it looks like a carbon copy of LOTR. Where's the creativity?

Which really leads to the central 'provisional worry' - that for all its talk of difference and rich lore and dark fantasy, the trailer looks completely different from the description.

Yes, BG's graphics don't look plastic, so DA can't be the spiritual successor to BG.

I doesn't look like a spiritual successor to BG because it look like generic lets-do-it-like-LotR fantasy and not unique like BG. Well the Forgotten Realms are at least more unique than the usual beaten-to-death Tolkin fantasy.

But we will see, the important parts are the story and characters

Edited by Purkake

I doesn't look like a spiritual successor to BG because it look like generic lets-do-it-like-LotR fantasy and not unique like BG.

yeah, i agree it looks generic.

but, if all we'd seen was a 20 second cutscene, BG would have seemed pretty damned generic too.

Well the Forgotten Realms are at least more unique than the usual beaten-to-death Tolkin fantasy.

unique? FR is the nadir of derivative fantasy.

Edited by newc0253

dumber than a bag of hammers

There's absolutely nothing unique in the FR. It's a hodge-podge of stolen mythologies smashed together with no sense of direction or creativity. It was a mistake ever to switch to it. It was never more than a mediocre campaign setting, and any life that was in it has been beaten out of it by the overuse of it.

Derivitive and unimaginative in the extreme. And, IMHO, the beginning of when D&D died was when they adopted it as the only setting they would seriously support. And now, the game is so wrapped up in the FR that they can't even make a rule set without smashing the lore into it first. Pathetic.

Man, I can't wait to rule over nations with necromancy.

:thumbsup:

Someone remembers the 'Codex vs. Gaider meltdown.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Well the Forgotten Realms are at least more unique than the usual beaten-to-death Tolkin fantasy.

I always thought FR was THE uber-derivative Tolkien fantasy world. Well, that and Dennis McKiernan.

Originality is hardly the end all and be all of, well anything, anyway.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Sure, the trailer is hardly original, but I'm still looking forward to it. I hope the larger scale battles do make it in, where you can direct your party members to lead certain battles while you choose to lead other members in other battles. Somewhat like the keep battle in NWN2 but on a larger scale with more enemies storming the walls and all that.

Graphics look good to me, though the art direction is pretty generic. I don't care much about the level of graphics as long as the storyline and gameplay are great.

Can't wait for more info. :)

:o I'll wh0re u. :)

One of the major turn offs for me in regards to 3D games is its fugly looking characters. My god look at that dude. He looks like he had something rammed up in him in an area where the sun doesn't shine. NWN was just terrible. NWN2, humans and half-elves looked ok but the female elves looked too manly. Kotor games, their faces were ok but their lip movements were way off and unreal.

Go go 2D graphics!

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

I waited 4 years to see what? The Siege of Osgiliath from the LotR movie in cg? and for 57 seconds. Thanks Bioware!

You waited four years for thier E3 teaser? I'm sorry to hear that.

I'm excited to hear more, the video was solid. Bioware has never gone above and beyond with videos, they are functional. My favorite is still that kid getting thrown over the railing in BG.