Dragon Age

3d faces in RPGs are at best bad and at worst horrible. Oblivion, NWN2, KotOR, TSL. I don't know that there's been one RPG I've seen since 3d graphics came into play that has had decent character animation in general, and even tolerable head/face/hair graphics. And it's not the tech that's the problem, IMHO. It's the fixation by developers today on "realistic looking" characters in RPGs.

Looks awesome. What you talkin' 'bout, Willis? :p

Seconded. But then, mkreku said similar about the Dragon Age trailer, which I found was also graphically acceptable.

I mean, come on mkreku, do you really want to encourage the cult of graphics? Perhaps graphics have gotten to a point where they are sufficiently detailed that improvements can be made, but it's not worth the development time/resources which could be better spent on story and gameplay?

Graphics can't improve at an exponential (or even linear) rate forever; graphics and processor hardware is slowing down in improvements, and once it hits the wall, game graphics will soon follow. I hope you won't be saying "Graphics look ****! They're 4 years old." then. I've certainly noticed a trend towards ever less stunning/amazing graphical improvements over the years (i.e. things look better all the time, but the margin by which they look better gets smaller all the time).

It's particularly interesting because many observers have noted that Moore's law is somewhat of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

As for what Ranger said... well, yeah that's a different kettle of fish. I'd agree with him for things like Oblivion because it's somewhat shallow, but dark-themed games it doesn't seem like a youthful, beautiful character would really suit. (Making a character look pretty and making a character look graphically aesthetic are disparate.)

Edit: What am I smoking. I thought this was the Hinterland thread. Well, point remains, although now mkreku is getting angry about one game's graphics instead of two. :)

Edited by Krezack

Looks awesome. What you talkin' 'bout, Willis? :p

Seconded. But then, mkreku said similar about the Dragon Age trailer, which I found was also graphically acceptable.

I mean, come on mkreku, do you really want to encourage the cult of graphics? Perhaps graphics have gotten to a point where they are sufficiently detailed that improvements can be made, but it's not worth the development time/resources which could be better spent on story and gameplay?

Graphics can't improve at an exponential (or even linear) rate forever; graphics and processor hardware is slowing down in improvements, and once it hits the wall, game graphics will soon follow. I hope you won't be saying "Graphics look ****! They're 4 years old." then. I've certainly noticed a trend towards ever less stunning/amazing graphical improvements over the years (i.e. things look better all the time, but the margin by which they look better gets smaller all the time).

It's particularly interesting because many observers have noted that Moore's law is somewhat of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

As for what Ranger said... well, yeah that's a different kettle of fish. I'd agree with him for things like Oblivion because it's somewhat shallow, but dark-themed games it doesn't seem like a youthful, beautiful character would really suit. (Making a character look pretty and making a character look graphically aesthetic are disparate.)

Edit: What am I smoking. I thought this was the Hinterland thread. Well, point remains, although now mkreku is getting angry about one game's graphics instead of two. :)

Dark Fantasy can't have beautiful characters?

Jaime and Cersei Lannister? in ASoIaF? Littlefinger's pet Stark in the same series?

Apsalar in the Malazan Book of the Fallen?

Pretty much any of the female characters in Glen Cook's "Tyranny of the Night" (and try to get darker than that.)

I don't buy that logic. But aside from that, I'm not saying 'everyone' needs to look young and beautiful. I'm saying that the choice should be there to BE that. But it takes a half an hour or more these days to make an even 'passable' looking PC in the typical fantasy. Most of which are not "dark fantasies" anyway. Oblivion was supposedly darker in mood than the NWN2 OC. Not much darker, in theory, than Hell unloosed on earth. Though I'll agree Bethsoft missed the mark.

What's really interesting is Bioware promised that the 3d character animations used for DA would be so good that we wouldn't care about those painted portraits of old. Looking at these, I'm inclined to say, "oh really"?

The graphics are awesome. Plain, and simple. the character mdoels look great. That's a fact jack. I don't care if the characters aren't supermodel pretty. It's good that they are 'realistic'. Nothing drab about them. Period.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I'm not angry, I am underwhelmed and disappointed. And it's not the graphics engine or the amount of polygons that's the problem in this instance (and it's impossible to tell anything about them from this teaser anyhow), it's the art direction. I honestly think it blows. It's like they've gotten the worst of two worlds since it's both horribly generic and aesthetically challenged.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

It looks nothing like the Witcher, which is precisely the problem. Witcher did low fantasy great, it had an airy and vaguely east-european milieu over a fantasy backdrop and tried to stay down-to-earth with it's clothing, colours, etc. The only ones who wore plate mail were officers, peasants were grimy and had missing teeth, and so on, just about the only exception was Trish, but that was a reflection of the character and not a flaw.

This is...well, it's still high fantasy, this time with a brown palette. It's like someone took Oblivion and smeared dung over everyone.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

This is...well, it's still high fantasy, this time with a brown palette. It's like someone took Oblivion and smeared dung over everyone.

Wouldn't that be Morrowind?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Morrowinf had art direction

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

The faces look fine, but then I'm currently playing Oblivion so Cliff Richard looks fine to me. The facial expressions could have done with showing a little more fear, perhaps, but we don't know the characters so perhaps the engine can handle that but just didn't need to in this case. It's hard to judge the colours at night, but fantasy worlds should for the most part be quite pretty, and I hope Bioware doesn't forget this.

On the whole, the trailer doesn't show many of the things that matter to me in a game (few trailers do, really), so who can say at this stage?

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Wouldn't that be Morrowind?

No game has ever been browner. :thumbsup:

Seriously, even bleak and gritty settings are allowed to have green trees!

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

I had hopes for dragon age but the trailer definitely looked like s on a s covered shingle. Even though it was all cg and cinematic I have a feeling it's going to blow when they release game footage but I guess we'll see in a few days whether or not that's true. I've enjoyed the last couple of games bioware has put out but I think they really missed their mark on this one. They should just stick to console.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

jesus, i never thought i'd end up defending anything to do with DA in this thread but some of you folk need to lighten up.

seriously, the graphics look fine. nothing groundbreaking or otherwise astonishing, but the art direction recalls the look of BG and PS:T (the rendered bits), which ain't a bad look for Bio to be aiming for with DA frankly.

i agree that the Witcher has set a high bar in this department. So did Oblivion, except when it came to anything with two legs. But i think whatever DA's look proves to be, it won't be limited to a bunch of guys wearing muddy platemail in torchlight...

dumber than a bag of hammers

But i think whatever DA's look proves to be, it won't be limited to a bunch of guys wearing muddy platemail in torchlight...

Hahhah, yeah. It's way too early to judge anything.

It's just that after 5 years the first glimpse into the game felt a bit underwhelming.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

Yes, that gets asked regularly, but they won't talk about it until they make an official announcement, which will likely be when they're done optimizing, i.e. close to release.

Edited by Wrath of Dagon

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

"Witcher did low fantasy great"

Wicther is overrated. Just another KOTOR. Gets way too praise for absolutely no reason. A decent game that is embarrasing to read about in a thread dedicated to an AWESOME DA teaser.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

It looks nothing like the Witcher, which is precisely the problem. Witcher did low fantasy great, it had an airy and vaguely east-european milieu over a fantasy backdrop and tried to stay down-to-earth with it's clothing, colours, etc. The only ones who wore plate mail were officers, peasants were grimy and had missing teeth, and so on, just about the only exception was Trish, but that was a reflection of the character and not a flaw.

In that case, low fantasy blows.

In that case, low fantasy blows.

Well, I would have preferred if they had done away with the Elves and Dwarves shtick altogether, like SoIaF, and that undead and monsters weren't so overabundant, but no setting is perfect. Ultimately, it comes down to preferences, and mine are with the Witcher.

kirottu said:

"Witcher did low fantasy great"

Wicther is overrated. Just another KOTOR. Gets way too praise for absolutely no reason. A decent game that is embarrasing to read about in a thread dedicated to an AWESOME DA teaser.

Ah Volourn, you're too much. :)

Wicther is overrated. Just another KOTOR. Gets way too praise for absolutely no reason.

proof, in case anyone needed it, that there's no accounting for a phenomenal absence of taste.

dumber than a bag of hammers

You know, I liked KotOR, and I liked Witcher. But I don't see anything in common between the two. And no, there's no accounting for taste. Witcher is what every fantasy RPG publisher right now wants, a unique, believable setting for a quality RPG. It's a bit too twitchy for me to get completely into it. But even with that, there's no denying it's brilliant, believable, and distinct.