McDonald's Is Healthy!

Volourn

i love xard's "statistics," too. keep it up.

sorry, but if you want to go against entire field of independent (meaning no corporate money) scientific studies you're free to do so. Just don't except me to hop in argument where opposing side has no basis or reason.

btw, "junk food" is an odd misnomer. qualify the term, somebody? let's see... big macs have: beef, lettuce, pickles, bread, hitting the major food groups... french fries, contrary to popular belief, are not very fatty (this takes an understanding of what happens when you drop water soaked potatoes into boiling vegetable oil) and they are a very good source of complex carbohydrates.

What's next, potato chips are healthy because they're made of potatoes?

Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

And because I was bored:

Junk food is food that is unhealthy and/or has little or no nutritional value. The term is believed to have been coined by Michael Jacobson, director of the Center for Science in the Public Interest, in 1972. The term has since come into common usage.

Junk food contains high levels of refined sugar, white flour, trans fat and polyunsaturated fat, salt, and numerous food additives such as monosodium glutamate and tartrazine; at the same time, it is lacking in proteins, vitamins and fiber, among other healthy attributes. It is popular with suppliers because it is relatively cheap to manufacture, has a long shelf life and may not require refrigeration. It is popular with American consumers, as well as other consumers from all over the world, because it is easy to purchase, requires little or no preparation, is convenient to consume and has lots of flavor. Consumption of junk food in America has been associated with obesity, heart disease, Type 2 diabetes and dental cavities. There is also concern about the targeting of marketing to children.

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

sorry, but if you want to go against entire field of independent (meaning no corporate money) scientific studies you're free to do so. Just don't except me to hop in argument where opposing side has no basis or reason.

really, and you showed these where? that's my point, xard. you haven't provided ANY basis or reason, just your word, which is flawed based on a lack of understanding of the material you're discussing (for that matter, none of us in here are nutritionists, last i checked).

here's where your lack of understanding of what literature is published comes into play. anything in excess is unhealthy. pretty simple. balance is the only "healthy" way to eat. it's not about what you eat, but the proportions of the things you eat. yes, potato chips are healthy in moderation. they contain soluble fiber, complex carbohydrates, sodium and a host of other "healthy" things (vitamins, etc.), all of which are required for your body to function. duh.

get a clue.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/080620/...mcdonald_s_diet

McDonald's is awesome! LONG LIVE McDonald's!!

See, that is what happens when people believe a one dimensional biased fom the get go 'experiment'. They believe in falsehoods. Bottom line is that McDonald's doesn't make people fat. People making poor chocies makes people's fat.

The 'experiment' is based on a regular guy eating regular McDonald's food everyday. It's relevant to vast majority of badly overweight people who mostly eat the same way - not McDonald's specifically but same crappy food.

McDonald's food = burgers and fries. That's what McDonald's is associated with, that's the food they promote. Eating regular McDonald's food makes you fat in a sense that it packs an insane amount of easily absorbed calories per small easily consumed meal and poor nutritional value - which makes it a great deal easier to overeat.

By comparison if you eat healthy food exclusively you could end up stuffing yourself full and still get less calories than in a portion of fries.

For 90% of people who are not going to count calories and watch their metabolism (eating few large meals slows it down, eating small portions often speeds it up), just eating healthier regularly on a long term basis makes all the difference.

Plus. Yes, there are other nutritional factors that affect your body composition. Not just calories in vs. calories out.

The forum's idea of what exactly 'healthy' means perplexes me somewhat.

But whatever, enjoy your burgers.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

yes, potato chips are healthy in moderation.

No, they certainly are not. Xard is right. You assume that because one of the ingredients originally was potatoes, it's somehow healthy even after the process of turning them into potato chips. The potato is ground into flour, a lot of suspect ingredients are added (among them acrylamide, from the deep frying that comes later), they are compressed into chips and then deep fried. They can contain up to 35% fat (among them trans fats) and way too much salt. Fiber?! Give me a break! To get the amount of fiber you'd need from potato chips, you would have to eat a LOT more than what could be considered moderation and you would be eating insane amounts of fat and salt at the same time.

In moderation, they are not harmful, just like french fries. But saying that they are healthy is way wrong. And the french fries you are eating at McDonalds are made in a way that makes sure there's not much left of the original potato. They even add sugar in the process! There's not much water left (as there would be in a normal potato slice) as it has been replaced by fat. Next time you eat at McDonalds, take one of the fries and squeeze it between your fingers and watch what comes out. It isn't water.

get a clue.

Right back at you.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Next time you eat at McDonalds, take one of the fries and squeeze it between your fingers and watch what comes out. It isn't water.

ew. That's just a gross mental picture. :sweat:

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

It's actually entirely possible to go on a (extremely unhealthy) diet by eating nothing but candy. Not sure if anyone has ever tried that in reality.

Your teeth would fall out before too long, I think.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Ever since A-Level I've taken the WHO definition of health which includes mental ease. I enjoy my damned food and drink, and beyond that it shoudl make the rest of my time enjoyable, by fuelling me up and keeping off scurvy. Beyond that I don't care.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I am starting to find this thread interesting. Now, all of those that:

1)...find McDonalds to be junkfood, and should only be treated as such. Meaning that it is something you eat while you are in a hurry, maybe once a month, or even less. No need to include it as a diet. Please choose this option and state nationality.

2)...find McDonalds to like any other food out there. It should be taken in moderation, and you might eat it more than once a month. Could be included as a part of your diet, as in something that you eat normally. Please choose this option and state nationality.

Prove my generalization wrong, people :brows:

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

yeah well Wals, where that junk food really gets you isn't in the love handles, its in the prostate

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

1)...find McDonalds to be junkfood, and should only be treated as such. Meaning that it is something you eat while you are in a hurry, maybe once a month, or even less. No need to include it as a diet. Please choose this option and state nationality.

2)...find McDonalds to like any other food out there. It should be taken in moderation, and you might eat it more than once a month. Could be included as a part of your diet, as in something that you eat normally. Please choose this option and state nationality.

Prove my generalization wrong, people :brows:

I might eat it twice a month, I might eat it not at all for several months, and am English b'the grace of God. :brows:

A more interesting question might be how often we eat takeaway in general, or other foods that are bad for us. MacDs is far too easy to ignore.

Laozi, I'm ugly, fat, and opinionated. My prostate had to stuffed with mothballs years ago. *hopes this isn't too graphic an image*

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I don't eat at McDonald's ever. It tastes like crap, has low nutritional content, and there's much better food available, for similar prices.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Usually when I eat "fast food" I try to go to something local not a huge chain. Not only is the food better but this one place, Dairy Bar, has all the cute girls working there, making it a no brainer

Plus the mormons haven't brough In and Out burger any where near here, time to go down to my local Church of Latter-Day Saints and see if they have anything in the works

Edited by Laozi

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

I might eat McDonalds once every few years, but I probably hit a Fast Food place once every few months. I eat at a lot of sandwich shops, I find that to be a quick meal and it never makes me feel gross after eating it. Other choices are a burrito or a burger from a local burger joint.

But yeah, moderation is the key.

Prove my generalization wrong, people :deadhorse:

I haven't eaten at a fast food restuarant in maybe 10 years. Ever since I got old enough to realize how bad it was for you. I don't even eat potato chips or pizza or soda. SO I guess I woudl chosoe option 1. Only more so. Never eat junk food at all.

Edit: Nationality: AMerican.

Edited by CrashGirl

Prove my generalization wrong, people :*

Reading this thread is giving me a serious craving for Pizza. :deadhorse:

Which is incidentally the kind of Fastfood I eat and I eat it at most once every three months if not less. So 1) I guess and I'm from Denmark.

sporegif20080614235048aq1.gif

Option 1)

Ex-Dane, Ex-Kiwi, Currently Australian.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

i love xard's "statistics," too. keep it up.

btw, "junk food" is an odd misnomer. qualify the term, somebody? let's see... big macs have: beef, lettuce, pickles, bread, hitting the major food groups... french fries, contrary to popular belief, are not very fatty (this takes an understanding of what happens when you drop water soaked potatoes into boiling vegetable oil) and they are a very good source of complex carbohydrates.

Well said.

The forum's idea of what exactly 'healthy' means perplexes me somewhat.

But whatever, enjoy your burgers.

It boogles the mind. It's like you've got people trying to defend their 'lifestyle choice' of being fat. It's not a lifestyle choice; homosexuality is a lifestyle choice. Being fat is a stupidity choice similar to shooting up on cocaine.

Note: if you're fat and actively trying to lose weight, you have my support. If you're fat, but do regular exercise, you still have my support, but note studies have shown the very act of excess caloric intake decreases lifespan, regardless of fitness/exercise (of course excess caloric intake without exercise is even worse).

Prove my generalization wrong, people :)

1) Australian of convict and immigrant heritage. A mix of Scottish, Irish, German, French and English. And possibly Jewish but my grandmother denies it.

I decided in year 6 of primary school that fast food was unhealthy, disgusting, and I was ashamed that my grandmother took me there every second day. I worked at Burger King in year 10, and McDonald's in year 11 and 12. Let me tell you there is nothing healthy or sanitised about those places other than the fact you probably won't get food poisoning. It almost turned me off eating out ever again, but luckily I've never worked at pizza shops or restaurants so I can feign ignorance.

I make concessions for pizza about 1 every 2 months on average. Mmm pizza.

Edited by Krezack

I usually eat a burger after good night drinking. Burgers are wierd. First bite is good, but the more I eat the worse it tastes. I rarely finish a burger I have started. Pizza is totally different. It

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

I bought a burger recently and couldn't finish it. I forgot to ignore the urge to think about what I was doing.

-Elwood Blues

Well said.

nonsense.

are you going to point out how statistics can show causation, too? they really should require statistics classes for everyone in high school. it's really painful to see statements like xard's and i'm the only one that has the background to know why it's sooooo wrong.

sigh...

It boogles the mind. It's like you've got people trying to defend their 'lifestyle choice' of being fat. It's not a lifestyle choice; homosexuality is a lifestyle choice. Being fat is a stupidity choice similar to shooting up on cocaine.

i think you got it backwards, buddy. you choose to eat too much and get fat (most of the time, but not always). homosexuality is largely thought to be something beyond choice (otherwise, why choose it?). hence obesity is typically a lifestyle choice whereas homosexuality is not.

it's got nothing to do with what is and isn't "healthy" since that term is pointless.

what is healthy? what your body needs.

what is unhealthy? things your body does not need, which includes too much of what it needs.

junk food, for all of its perils, has what your body needs. it's not a problem to eat junk food, it's a problem to eat too much "junk food," just like it's a problem to eat too many calories. pick any food, deemed "healthy" or otherwise, and eat more of it (calories) than you expend in a day and guess what, you're gonna gain weight.

oh, and mkreku, i'd go to a different mcdonalds if your fries are oozing oil. there should be some, but when you cook something in oil, the internal pressure from steam keeps oil out while cooking the food. if the fries are oozing oil, they are being over-cooked, past the point at which steam pressure can keep oil out.

taks

Edited by taks

comrade taks... just because.