McDonald's Is Healthy!

Volourn

Drtaks is fighting an uphill battle with reason as his sole ally! Watch out!

But hey, I value living "well" on cocaine and ecstasy, why don't you let me go do that instead of living my life? And maybe you should stop getting on my rag about smoking because, hey, it's my life and I'll smoke if I want to. :)
Yeah. That's why you are an adult, and are assumed to have freedom of choice. Planning on turning your brain to goo with cocaine? It's nobody's business. That's the failure of universal healthcare. You gotta (should) earn what you have. And I live in a country with universal healthcare (even for those that *don't* pay taxes). Go figure.

And homosexuality is generally agreed to be an equal measure of lifestyle choice and genetics, so you can all stop your knee-jerk reactions now.
Show me this "general agreement", and I'll try to stop this insane laughter thing I get going on every time I read what you posted. Genetics and environment? Perhaps. Choice? Try again.

Edit: And heck, the fact that anybody would be arrogant enough to deny that homosexuality is half life-style choice has obviously never spent any time around bisexual or homosexual acquaintances/friends but is rather trying to parade about on some sort of moral high-horse. Here's a clue: many find it offensive or at least ignorant to go around defending them with "it's not your fault; it's your genetics".
No doubt they take offense, given the condescension implied. Picture some black dude to whom you said "it ain't your fault bubba, it's your genetics". You'd be lucky not to get punched in the face. "Fault" in this case is by itself demeaning. What was that about moral high-horses, again?

And homosexuality is generally agreed to be an equal measure of lifestyle choice and genetics, so you can all stop your knee-jerk reactions now.

Edit: And heck, the fact that anybody would be arrogant enough to deny that homosexuality is half life-style choice has obviously never spent any time around bisexual or homosexual acquaintances/friends but is rather trying to parade about on some sort of moral high-horse. Here's a clue: many find it offensive or at least ignorant to go around defending them with "it's not your fault; it's your genetics".

Come on, now, Krezack. I thought you to be an overall intelligent person. This 'general agreement' you speak of is something you've made up in your own mind. And I can damn well deny that it's half and half, as I lived with a gay guy for about 6 months, and we've been friends for years. It's not about some moral high horse. You're again making up a load of nonsense. Seriously, where are you getting your information?

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

I love a woman with a nice bubble butt...:)

I hope you're not talking about cellulite bubbles. :)

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

But hey, I value living "well" on cocaine and ecstasy, why don't you let me go do that instead of living my life? And maybe you should stop getting on my rag about smoking because, hey, it's my life and I'll smoke if I want to. :)
Yeah. That's why you are an adult, and are assumed to have freedom of choice. Planning on turning your brain to goo with cocaine? It's nobody's business. That's the failure of universal healthcare. You gotta (should) earn what you have. And I live in a country with universal healthcare (even for those that *don't* pay taxes). Go figure.

Sorry, what was that? My brain does this thing where it thinks about something that's actually meaningful whenever a libertarian speaks.

Show me this "general agreement", and I'll try to stop this insane laughter thing I get going on every time I read what you posted. Genetics and environment? Perhaps. Choice? Try again.

How about you muse about what constitutes free will in another thread.

No doubt they take offense, given the condescension implied. Picture some black dude to whom you said "it ain't your fault bubba, it's your genetics". You'd be lucky not to get punched in the face. "Fault" in this case is by itself demeaning. What was that about moral high-horses, again?

Stop twisting my words; the point is that it's not a 'fault' at all, and trying to claim it's offensive to call it a lifestyle choice is itself offensive insofar as it implies homosexuality is only 'acceptable' because it is genetic. This is also exactly the reason the gay people I know get riled up about it.

Come on, now, Krezack. I thought you to be an overall intelligent person. This 'general agreement' you speak of is something you've made up in your own mind. And I can damn well deny that it's half and half, as I lived with a gay guy for about 6 months, and we've been friends for years. It's not about some moral high horse. You're again making up a load of nonsense. Seriously, where are you getting your information?

I'm seriously ****ing confused as to why it's so wrong for homosexuality to be a life-style choice? Is it because if you claim it's due to genetics that somehow makes it less 'evil' for you?

Edit: maybe I use 'lifestyle choice' too losely; the point I was originally trying to make is that homosexuality is something that should be understood and respected regardless of the 'cause', while obesity is a disorder. Instead of arguing about whether or not obesity is a disorder or not, you're instead attacking me for stating what many gay people themselves consider to be the case. Maybe your gay friend's brain is different to a male's due to genetics. That would not mean it's 100% genetics for all homosexuals. The most annoying thing is for somebody to claim a statistic is wrong because they know of an outlier case (and I use the term 'statistic' losely here because what I said was fairly clearly meant to be a qualitative statement that there is a significant part genetics and a significant part lifestyle, rather than that it's exactly 50%/50%). I could no doubt just as easily bring up a case that's 100% lifestyle, yet that wouldn't mean genetics has nothing to do with homosexuality.

Edited by Krezack

Guest The Architect

Krezack is right you know, that homosexuality is a lifestyle choice, since you can either choose to live openly as gay/bi, or hide it, living in denial, hence it's a lifestyle choice. I don't believe you can choose your sexuality, however, because if you could, I don't understand why someone wouldn't live as a straight, not because I think homosexuality is wrong, but because of the ridicule and oppression you'd face choosing to be a gay/bisexual person.

Having a healthy self-esteem not based on egoistic, external factors is one thing, but how many people do you know can uphold a good, positive view and feeling about themselves if they face a great deal of mental, physical torment and isolation? Then again if you lived in a very gay/bi tolerant neighbourhood, then you could choose that lifestyle if you wanted. Depends on the location and mental power of the individual, I guess.

Edited by The Architect

I'm seriously ****ing confused as to why it's so wrong for homosexuality to be a life-style choice? Is it because if you claim it's due to genetics that somehow makes it less 'evil' for you?

Well, for many it would be a lifestyle choice that completely alienates them from their (other) friends and family completely if they came out to them. It would be lifestyle choice that could get your ass kicked or get you killed just as easily. They are tormented constantly for WHO THEY ARE. Every gay person I know says they always knew they were different, even when they were children. It's a life of persecution for BEING WHO THEY ARE. Go ask those politicians that have a wife and kids, married for decades, then come out and say they've been living a lie their entire lives. if it's a lifestyle choice. Keep in mind these politicians were outspokenly anti gay to begin with.

People who are genuinely homosexual are born that way. Yes, it is a genetic roll of the dice. Some people simply come out of the oven gay. Some are going to go bald. Some are going to be left handed. Please, don't even try to make it sound like I'm saying it makes it less "evil." Don't even go there. It's not evil at all.

All that being said the outrageous flamers that take part in the parade. THAT is a lifestyle choice, just as a bunch of Trekkies going to a convention is a lifestyle choice.

I'm not going to do it because I'm above reading but what tard seriously used homosexuality and obesity in the same sentence. You've ruined this thread. I'm shaming you from upon my valiant steed. gtfo

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

Krezack is right you know, that homosexuality is a lifestyle choice, since you can either choose to live openly as gay/bi, or hide it, living in denial, hence it's a lifestyle choice. I don't believe you can choose your sexuality, however,

You contradict yourself with these two statements. The first one says your sexuality is a choice, the second one says it isn't. Well, which is it? Is (homo)sexuality a choice or not?

Oh, and Krezack, please define lifestyle choice so we can be on the same page.

Some helpful mod should probably split this thread.

Or not. Perhaps the discussion of fat has simply run its course.

ANyway, I find "what is gay?" threads are best avoided when on the internet.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I'm not going to do it because I'm above reading but what tard seriously used homosexuality and obesity in the same sentence. You've ruined this thread. I'm shaming you from upon my valiant steed. gtfo

I did; I said they were dissimilar.

Guest The Architect
You contradict yourself with these two statements. The first one says your sexuality is a choice, the second one says it isn't. Well, which is it? Is (homo)sexuality a choice or not?

No I didn't. I said you can choose to live your life openly as gay/bi or attempt to hide it, living in denial. How does that mean I think sexuality is a choice?

Sorry, what was that? My brain does this thing where it thinks about something that's actually meaningful whenever a libertarian speaks.
Boring, even when trolling.

I've sparred with far better than you, so you'll have to do better than to assign a tag to me to discredit what I'm saying. Address my point if what I'm saying is so wrong, instead of looking like a brainless parrot.

How about you muse about what constitutes free will in another thread.
How about you don't use semantics as a shield, as is your custom, for once? *You* brought "choice" to the thread. It's increasingly obvious that you don't know the meaning of the words you throw around, but that's not my fault.

Stop twisting my words; the point is that it's not a 'fault' at all, and trying to claim it's offensive to call it a lifestyle choice is itself offensive insofar as it implies homosexuality is only 'acceptable' because it is genetic. This is also exactly the reason the gay people I know get riled up about it.
Who's twisting your words? Again, you brought "fault", to the discussion, regarding homosexuality, as well as "choice". The bottom line is that you wouldn't apply either word to being black or gray-eyed, while at the same time, you have been unable to provide any measure of proof to your proposition that "homosexuality is a lifestyle choice", or the "general agreement" around it.

No I didn't. I said you can choose to live your life openly as gay/bi or attempt to hide it, living in denial. How does that mean I think sexuality is a choice?

You said homosexuality is a choice BECAUSE you can be open or not. Then you said your sexuality is not a choice. Being open about it has nothing to do with whether or not your a homosexual. Hiding it is a lifestyle choice, yes, but that's it.

I've sparred with far better than you

Put up yer dukes! :)

Bah. Not interested unless it's a deathmatch.

That's what the bat is for!

Some helpful mod should probably split this thread.

Or not. Perhaps the discussion of fat has simply run its course.

I think the original thread just "evolved", mutating from fast/junk food being a lifestyle choice over lifestyle choices in other areas (and whether they are choices or not). Keeping a close eye on this thread and a big hammer ready to smash the fingers of the first offender to trespass into the area of discrimination...

As long as the discussion is civil and productive, it might run a for a few more posts. Probably best not to leave it unattended though :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

ANyway, I find "what is gay?" threads are best avoided when on the internet.

sure, they all inevitably end with a bunch of picture of Architect

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

McDonald's chicken breast sandwiches are on point

Meh, who am I kidding. The restaurant is closed. Eat Fish, it's good for you...

:closed:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein