PETITION: PLEASE CHANGE THE INFINITE AMMO DESIGN

This is partially my call and I'm willing to fight to get it changed, but first you must defeat me in a steel cage match AND buy me a a 7-series.

I've got the 7-series, will my bird's cage do the job?

In any case, at least we know it's not a final decision.

Edited by WILL THE ALMIGHTY

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

What I'd like to knowis what kind of game Obsidian is actually going for. A light hearted game with the action and the self deprecating humour, for example, or a realistic game in terms of gameplay, setting and themes. It's just that te info released so far has been a bit confusing.

It's just that I'd really like to see Obsidian work on an actual real world RPG, and from the first bits of info you guys released it seemed that way. However that last article in Edge, made things seem a bit more fantastical, with cartoon like characters, fast paced, not-so-realistic action, and infinite ammo. The little information we have makes the game seem a bit disjointed to me.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

we all played Invisible War and know very well why it stunk (though you'd probably disagree with me.)

haha. Probably not! Hint: no it wasn't the unified ammo or the lack of reloading or lack of leaning. Where we go with this no one knows!

:)

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

This is partially my call and I'm willing to fight to get it changed, but first you must defeat me in a steel cage match AND buy me a a 7-series.

I've got the 7-series, will my bird's cage do the job?

In any case, at least we know it's not a final decision.

No decisions are final until the game ships, but that's not what I was trying to imply. This has been in the game for a while now and it's made the game a better game, it's a core mechanic we base a lot of other stuff off of, so it's extremely unlikely to change.

Keep in mind something about that last point, though. This is a core mechanic that is part of our vision for the game. We know what we're doing, infinite ammunition isn't a slapdash decision we made to patch a failure in our design, it's where a lot of our design comes from.

I can't be too detailed about any specifics, and again, nothing is final till it ships, but our guns aren't wimpy. Another of our core goals was to make sure that the guns felt powerful and dangerous, and they do.

we all played Invisible War and know very well why it stunk (though you'd probably disagree with me.)

haha. Probably not! Hint: no it wasn't the unified ammo or the lack of reloading or lack of leaning. Where we go with this no one knows!

:)

Without trying to derail the thread, I'll give my simple answer: Overall poor level design (possibly due to unfamiliarity with the engine) and a lack of reactivity between the cities.

I could go on, and even say some things they actually did pretty well, but I don't plan on it. There are only so many times that conversation can be had before it gets extremely wearisome.

Heh, well, I was going to reply to Cycloneman's rebuttal to my post, but, uh, that's like 5 pages in the past now. I guess at least we're getting some activity.

Patrick appears to have shut the door on getting it 'changed', and while I'm not necessarily happy (since I can't really imagine what mechanics they would have that revolve around infinite ammo), I reserve the right to be surprised. :)

What I'd like to knowis what kind of game Obsidian is actually going for.

I second this.

When I first read about Alpha Protocol it sounded like a more realistic Deus Ex and I was excited as hell! Then these little tidbits keep dropping and now we have evil teenage girls with twin pistols that look like they've been ripped from some generic Anim

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

One of our characters is a girl with pink hair and a pair of pistolas. She's actually really cool and probably not what you are expecting. She's not anime.

I'm expecting obnoxious teenager. Am I wrong?

I don't post if I don't have anything to say, which I guess makes me better than the rest of your so-called "community." 8)

I'm pretty sure there's no accent over the e in anime. No languages involved in the formation of that word use accents.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Anime with accent is a kind of resin. Anime without accent is the Japanese animation. Now stop jabberin' or we'll get even more OT. :brows:

I haven't seen any mention of the punk girl, but yes, there does seem to be a lot of confusion about the exact tone of the game. Which, really, isn't quite what you'd want from your first thrust of PR. I wonder if we might get some clarification in the near future?

Oh, hey, apparently romanization of some Japanese words does carry accents and

anime is sometimes spelled anim
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

A colourful cast of characters and "exaggerated realism" is a far cry from Devil May Cry anime craziness. '

The article actually say "We started real world, it was boring, so we made it a little more extreme; not comic-book levels".

I think it's worth noting that in the scans of EDGE, you can't see a lot of the detail on "pink haired double pistols" chick. I'm pretty sure the pink hair is part of the overall punk aesthetic, not one of those anime "pretend this isn't a weird hair color" things.

I don't post if I don't have anything to say, which I guess makes me better than the rest of your so-called "community." 8)

Hmm, don't like the sound of infinite ammo. Maybe it could be fine, but I can't help remembering the best action movie based game (if not the best game, pretty good for a free HL mod) I have played has quite limited ammo. Of course I'm comparing different kinds of games here, but still. I think infinite ammo would probably be best used during limited, special situations like when you are in bullet time. Running out of ammo then would suck.

SODOFF Steam group.

The character designs are one of my favorite things about this game, honestly. Can't wait until we can show you more of the friends and foes.

Actually we haven't seen any screenies with the hawt ladies of AP in them.

Well? We're waiting! :taps foot:

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Sure it's simplistic, but give the player a choice INFINITE AMMO or FINITE AMMO. Pleasing as many customers as possible is a good thing.

$$$$$$$$$

Easy.

Use cheatcodes, gamesharks and trainers even. That's considered as the other choice right?

Hmm, don't like the sound of infinite ammo. Maybe it could be fine, but I can't help remembering the best action movie based game (if not the best game, pretty good for a free HL mod) I have played has quite limited ammo. Of course I'm comparing different kinds of games here, but still. I think infinite ammo would probably be best used during limited, special situations like when you are in bullet time. Running out of ammo then would suck.

I was the part of the founding/core team for Action Quake 2 and I did a lot of the original docs for AHL and I'm *totally* in favor of unlimited ammo for this game.