New Fallout 3 screens

sharkz

Re: the original posted pictures -

I'm getting pretty tired of the somber grey/metal grey/brown/blue grey etc. post-apoc colors in games, myself. At least carried to the extremes a lot of games seem to do.

Plus yeah, I don't think they look that impressive art-wise. Not terrible or anything, but nothing special, certainly. In the 'gets the job done' vein mostly.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Theres nothing bright and colorful about a post apocalyptic world

I see your point and sometimes it's a very valid one.

But I disagree that post-apoc world has to be grey and colorless. Humans like color - I suspect they'd find a way to inject into the environment in some way or another. Movies/media have used the same post-apoc like setting for years - it wouldn't hurt to stretch the imagination and think of something different.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

But I disagree that post-apoc world has to be grey and colorless. Humans like color - I suspect they'd find a way to inject into the environment in some way or another. Movies/media have used the same post-apoc like setting for years - it wouldn't hurt to stretch the imagination and think of something different.

But then it "wouldn't be fallout."

To me pretty graphics are just something to drag my framerate down, so I don't much care. My only complaint is that vault boy is shooting his gun with the stock tucked under his arm. I guess that's not a tag skill for him.

In the 'gets the job done' vein mostly.

Yes. They aren't terribly exciting, but they don't deserve all the complaints.

But I disagree that post-apoc world has to be grey and colorless.

Something I like about Dead Rising is that it doesn't go for the bleak art style of the typical zombie/horror game. It looks like a mall in the real world, rather than a mall in a horror game.

To me pretty graphics are just something to drag my framerate down

Way to go against the trend dude, this is a thread for graphics whores.

Pretty graphics don't drag down framerates anyway, poorly made graphics or graphics too advanced for your system do.

Told yall they should have used UE3, what teh hell, oblivion engine is only good for making trees. These graphix will be BAD and look like ASS

Actually the engine used a middleware product called speedtree, so it didn't even do that exactly :)

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me

From the looks of it, so will Fallout 3.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

I'm not saying there should be crtoony rainbows, white unicorns and purple cotton trees everywhere ... but a red sweater worn in a rocky desert under even the darkest, stormiest skies will still be red. There could at least be some overgrowing green foliage all about these ruined towns to break up the monotony...

Edited by LadyCrimson

I'm not saying there should be crtoony rainbows, white unicorns and purple cotton trees everywhere ... but a red sweater worn in a rocky desert under even the darkest, stormiest skies will still be red. There could at least be some overgrowing green foliage all about these ruined towns to break up the monotony...

In fact, it should mostly be overgrown green foliage, if anything. (Except in the dessert, I suppose)

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Crap, someone posted before me and now my post looks like it is saying something it isn't.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Crap, someone posted before me and now my post looks like it is saying something it isn't.

Don't you hate it when that happens. :)

The visuals look just about exactly as I'd expect them to. It's a post-apoc world how many years after the fact? 180? All we've seen is urban areas so far, and they've been grey, and honestly, what else would they be. A blue sky would be all the color you'd need. The concept art showed some foliage out in the wastes, but I guess they either haven't gotten to that yet or aren't showing their work. It's pretty obvious that everything we've seen so far has been from the same build from 6 months ago.

In fact, it should mostly be overgrown green foliage, if anything. (Except in the dessert, I suppose)

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks the screenies we've seen so far look entirely too 'sterile', even outside the bleakness of the colour palette.... although I'll admit that dessert can change perceptions dramatically. :sorcerer:

The environments do look nice, I'll admit, but to me they give the impression of "newly blown to hell" instead of fupped uk 200 years ago, and the lack of foliage is only part of it.

Is a minor nitpick though, in the grand scheme of things. The game looks entirely too action-y for my tastes. This one's a bargain binner for me, if that.

Maybe there is radiation all over the place in the top soil or something. Or maybe there isn't any top soil anymore because all the construction companies used it back before the bombs went off, so now all the top soil is under all the houses and buildings, and plants can't grow under buildings and houses.

Edited by thepixiesrock

No game really ages well...

Tetris.

A game that relies solely on gameplay is timeless. Trust me, the Fallout's are not timeless. Unfortunately, neither is my favourite game of all time, Wasteland. Practically unplayable today.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I'd like to see an indie remake of Wasteland, perhaps by Basilisk games.

It's sort of weird btw, there's a ton of indie fantasy crpgs in the net(well, comparatively a ton), but next to none Falloutish independent projects. You'd think there'd be more but there's apparetly not enough post-apoc minded crafty people.

I'd kill for a post-apoc 2d game in the vein of Avernum.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Age of Decadence differs in that it's not a "modern setting" so to speak. But it is post-apocalyptic, and the gameplay and overall design seems to be very close to Fallout.

There's also Afterfall, though it's a 3d game. The feature list is pretty jaw-dropping. In fact, to jaw-dropping as I believe it will fail to deliver on its promises (if it gets released that is), but it certainly looks like there is a good game there.

It wouldn't surprise me to see a post-apocalyptic "upswing" soon among bigger game developers. There seems to be a few in production already. 4 years from now, we'll probably be sick to death of it and crying for good ole standard high fantasy.

Well, maybe not.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Maybe there is radiation all over the place in the top soil or something. Or maybe there isn't any top soil anymore because all the construction companies used it back before the bombs went off, so now all the top soil is under all the houses and buildings, and plants can't grow under buildings and houses.

Nature has easily reclaimed the land previously devastated by Chernobyl. And that was only about, what, 20 years ago?

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Nature has easily reclaimed the land previously devastated by Chernobyl. And that was only about, what, 20 years ago?

But what about all the missing top soil?

Top soil just doesn't grow on trees!

But what about all the missing top soil?

Top soil just doesn't grow on trees!

uh...