New Fallout 3 screens

sharkz

In my ever so humble opinion it is everything that is Fallout that makes it Fallout. Rules System, artwork, Story, camera view, and so forth. I wouldn't want a 2D game today, but I still expect Fallout 3 to play and feel like Fallout even with 3D graphics.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

WOW good to see people remaining objective about Fallout....

Next thing there will be console bashing.... wait...wait for it...

Well, this is a 360 game.

I was referring to the not very good texture quality, that the game is sporting for a late 2008 release. The 360 isn't exactly a cutting edge system anymore.

Oh, and for the record, I like consoles.

Also, about us just commenting on the graphics, well there's nothing else to talk about regarding those screenshots, is there?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Those screen shots do suck when compared to Mass Effect.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

I don't think they are ugly as such, but just that the graphical standards are from 2002. It looks like someone sucked the fog out of Silent Hill 2 and added bloom.

I'm not going to judge art direction, since the concept art gives a very different view as well, because I haven't seen any wasteland screenshots or actual open terrain yet. I like the armor design and the mutants are alright. It's not retroscifi, but neither was Fallout 2.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Most of my trouble stems from that it's not actually reminiscant of Fallout. If I didn't know about the A) The Vault Suit (though it's different as well) and B) The Brotherhood Armor there's no way in hell that I'd guess it's a Fallout game. Neither from what the (especially) actual gameplay seems to be, nor the purely visual style. The best one is the one only portraying the area, but even that seems rather cluttered and nothing seems to stand out. That's not a problem as it might look very differently in motion, but you'd think that screenshots released at this point would try to show off how it's connected to the older games. There's not much of a "future of the 50s vibe" going on here.

I'm actually a bit surprised that they actually released a screenshot with the atomic car exploding (yay?), and having a Super Mutant stand next to it seemingly completely unaffected (YAY!). I mean... whut?

That said, I do think the environments in the game will look quite amazing. I think it might be where the most talent in Bethesda lies, as the environments in Oblivion look extremely good for what they are (I think I read somewhere that the area around the Imperial City was actually supposed to be jungle?). I think the sense of nature is definetely there, and I'm sure these people will create gorgeous looking areas for Fallout 3. Whether these areas will have what I want in a Fallout game is another matter.

I've been pessimistic about the game being a sequel for the other Fallouts for a very long time now, but I'm getting increasingly pessimistic about it as a stand-alone game as well. It just doesn't look (again, only judging from what the gameplay seems to be like here in these screens, could obviously be *very* wrong) like a game I'd like very much.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I'm very excited about this game.

I loved ALL Elder scrolls games and I really like Bethesda as a developper. Second only to Bioware in my book(where RPGs are concerned).

I'm sorry to say this here but Oblivion with guns sounds good to me. I have a strong bias towards FP games, I feel more immersed, it's a personal thing.

Also, I've always wanted Fallout to be First Person so... there you go.

Sure it won't be turn-based combat and they seemed to have updated some conceptual designs, so what? Isn't it to be expected? Or do you want Fallout exactly the way it was, same story, same everything but in 3D?

Besides, I don't think we can expect a game like, say, DOOM in the Fallout setting. It won't be so fast. Oblivion was slow and this will be too. It will be deep, beautiful RPG goodness.

I need a new computer!

I loved ALL Elder scrolls games and I really like Bethesda as a developper. Second only to Bioware in my book(where RPGs are concerned).

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaway!

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

Bioware and Obsidian are tied in the top spots of my favorites, with Bethesda being a distant third. Its like Obsidian is Obama, Bioware is Clinton, and Bethesda is Edawrds.

So are there any of you people who think the screenshots are ugly or meh that are willing to explain why you think so? I have an idea of why it seems to be very un-fallouty but I would like to hear a few different opinions.

The palette is bad, everything is a shade of grey (haha), and there's little contrast. Compare it to the previous Fallouts for a reference.

Fallout_01.jpg

The difference is striking, even if the picture above is 90% brown/grey.

Also, there is so much clutter that it is borderline messy, and the mutants shown are as generic as it gets.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I'm sorry to say this here but Oblivion with guns sounds good to me. I have a strong bias towards FP games, I feel more immersed, it's a personal thing.

Also, I've always wanted Fallout to be First Person so... there you go.

I agree. I've always thought Fallout would be great in first person perspective (or third person over-the-shoulder). I think STALKER proved that it can be done in an incredibly atmospheric way. Let's hope Bethesda fulfills at least some of the potential this game has.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Bioware and Obsidian are tied in the top spots of my favorites, with Bethesda being a distant third. Its like Obsidian is Obama, Bioware is Clinton, and Bethesda is Edawrds.

Obsidian is third on my list.

I failed to mention it because it seemed too obvious.

If it's not first, or second, it's gotta be third, right? Right?

Right.

So are there any of you people who think the screenshots are ugly or meh that are willing to explain why you think so? I have an idea of why it seems to be very un-fallouty but I would like to hear a few different opinions.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/95/Fallout_01.jpg[/img

"You see Tandi, she looks sexy in leather."

:) I gotta play those games some day!

The palette is bad, everything is a shade of grey (haha), and there's little contrast. Compare it to the previous Fallouts for a reference.

The difference is striking, even if the picture above is 90% brown/grey.

Also, there is so much clutter that it is borderline messy...

If you put most of the emphasis on it being too cluttered and messy (not neccesarily a bad thing but un-fallouty) then those are my exact thoughts about the Fallout 3 art direction, fallout looked much more like it was put together like building blocks and got a somewhat more cleaner look from it. And yes they lack dirt and desert instead of endless amounts of cracked asphalt.

I strongly disagree about the mutants though as generic sounds like a buzzword with little meaning. My main beef with their mutants are that they seemingly ignore that the fallout 1/2 mutants were predominantly green. Instead choosing something that can best be described as light brown-greenish, as well as aiming for a more steroid muscular look rather than the lumpy ungainly but very strong mutants of the past.

I'm not going to judge art direction, since the concept art gives a very different view as well, because I haven't seen any wasteland screenshots or actual open terrain yet. I like the armor design and the mutants are alright. It's not retroscifi, but neither was Fallout 2.

There can sometimes be a long way from vision to implementation.

fallout1_2.jpg

Granted this is not concept art, but I was always surprised at how different those screens looked from the actual game.

sporegif20080614235048aq1.gif

Oblivion concept art wasn't too far from the actual art direction. Bethesda's FO 3 concept arts look like a bunch of left-over Arcanum concepts, but they portray a wasteland that I would fancy seeing to come into fruition. Here's hoping they deliver.

As for the cities itself, I've seen like two street corridors and a couple of buildings, not a lot to go by, so I'm not gonna grasp at straws here.

kirottu said:

Yeah, it's sort of lame to expect FO 3 to be anything like the previous ones.

Now, if they just got it to look good.

Edit:

gameplay video looks new to me. Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:

It's not really that lame if you ask me. Sure it shouldn't be exactly like the old ones. But hey, update it to a fancy 3D engine, give the turnbased combat a huge overhaul/upgrade, put in camera options similar to NWN2. I mean, if Fallout is really just a name nowadays, then why even bother making a sequel instead of developing something new of their own?

At least for me, games that hit me the hardest are brand new games. Sequels will always be compared to what's been done before. The game seems to differ so much from the original games, that I honestly can't see why they chose not to just develop a franchise of their own instead and have it be inspired by Fallout or whatever.

If Baldurs Gate 3 shows up, should that be a first-person free roamer as well? I don't think it's to hard to understand why many Fallout fans are pissed off at the changes. Just imagine a similar gameplay change in a franchise that is even bigger than Fallout. What if Elder Scrolls V underwent a similar change? Fans would cry bloody murder.

Also, it's strange as I was really glad to hear that Bethesda made the game take place on the East Coast. I figured that was a great way to avoid having to deal with how to develop the existing setting in a logical way. And also that it allowed them to make their own imprint on the series. I also (stupidly I guess) thought that Bethesda would keep the gameplay somewhat intact, or at least make an effort to go away from the free-roaming first person RPGs like the Elder Scrolls, try something really different (for Bethesda).

So what happens? Turns out that the Brotherhood of Steel makes a return, as well as the Super Mutants even though the game is set on the East Coast. The writing effort showcased in previous Bethesda games kinda leads me to believe that the reason for their presence in DC will be rather hard to swallow. And the gameplay is changed around completely.

I agree that STALKER was a very atmospheric game (though I think it was a rather flawed diamond so to speak). But what made the game special for me was that it was a very new and fresh idea, started on a "clean slate" so to speak. I wish Bethesda had chosen that approach with this game.

Edited by Starwars

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I would rather Bethesda made an original Post Apocalyptic CRPG than Fallout 3. I would be more apt to play it than I would their Fallout 3.

It's good that I was never a fan.

I think it's great that they are using existing assets to base their game on.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:

Oh and also Bethesda devs should try and figure out how to use bloom properly. Oblivion had awful bloom, and by those screenies, Fallout 3 is going the same way.

I'm going to laugh now, because I'm sure you don't ACTUALLY understand anything about bloom, and HDR.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me